“Very Special Place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness Safaris Little Makalolo Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hwange National Park
Wilderness Safaris Little Makalolo Camp
Hwange National Park, Hwange National Park, Zimbabwe   |
Dumfries, Virginia
“Very Special Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We spent four nights here in mid September. Loved every minute of it! We were treated like family! The staff can't do enough to make you comfortable. Bea was always waiting for us when we arrived home from our late game drives. Loved the campfire in the morning, and evening, and the meals were wonderful! I am a vegetarian, and the options were spectacular. Charles was our guide and given our 3 weeks in Africa, he was my favorite. He has such reverence for the animals, and the ability to slow things down so you don't miss the whole experience. I appreciated his knowledge of photography, so he managed to get us situated in the best possible light for our photos. If you can, don't miss Little Makalolo!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Robert our trusty guide was excellent. He took us in to the hide on the first day we arrived and it was so much fun to watch all the elephants in the water hole. The baby elephants were so adorable. We really wanted to see a giraffe and Robert was able to find one for us. They had the best sundowners of any of the four camps we stayed at. Robert always made sure we had the best sundowner spot. Once we were very near the lions and elephants at the watering hole and the sunset was incredible. We saw lots of zebras, wildebeest, sables, kudus, black back jackals, and an African wildcat, hippos and tons of elephants that were very entertaining. I loved the time two ostriches were running down the road in front of us. The food was excellent and the rooms were very nice. I would definitely go here again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Spent around 3 weeks in Southern Africa, including 4 different camps and Little Mak takes home the Gold! It was our first camp and undoubtedly our most memorable. The staff treated you like a long lost friend and their service and personality was unrivaled.

Mike, our guide, was out of this world. His personality was fantastic and his knowledge was as good as it gets. There wasn't a creature he didn't have endless information on, and the way he presented it was fascinating. I personally just finished my education in the States, and Mike's knowledge of his particular field was on par with any professor/Ph. D I have come across. The guy could host his own TV show and become an overnight Animal Planet sensation!

Additionally, I did a solo "walking safari" with another guide, Dixson, which was 5 stars as well. Dixson's knowledge was on par with Mike, and he really led me on an adventure. I think the guides at Little Mak were easily the best we came across, I wish we could have brought them with us for the rest of our trip!

The accommodations at the camp were all very nice, not to mention all the visitors knocking at your front door. During our stay, we dined with around 2,000 Cape Buffalo one evening, had daily visits from hundreds of elephants, and had a leopard half of our mornings in camp.

Hwange is a very memorable place, and I would recommend a visit at Little Mak to anyone thinking of doing a Safari in Southern Africa.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

A few years ago I told my wife I was no longer interested in going anywhere outside the continental United States on vacation. I was retiring July 1, 2012 and thought I saw enough of the world already. Somehow, she talked me into taking a once in a lifetime trip to Africa as a retirement kickoff. I got my passport in order and off we went in September 2012.

One of the camps we visited was Little Makalolo. I was hooked. It was absolutely wonderful, or heaven on earth. Everything was perfect. The camp, the people working at the camp, the game drives, the game, the food - everything. I am not kidding when I say I was hooked. Within weeks of getting home we planned our return visit which took place 6 months later. Often times, when you return to a spot that was brilliant, you end up slightly disappointed. The chemistry somehow changes and it just isn't the same. Not so with Little Makalolo, it was actually better. Rania and Vee, part of the management team, were first rate. They had customer service completely dialed in and made you feel as if you were part of a family and not a client. Every guide was an expert, polite, enthusiastic and fun. We worked mostly with Honest, Buli but also Dixon and Mike.

The accommodations were very good but not the fanciest of the 8 camps we have visited so far. Having said that, Little Mak is our favorite of the 8 and the only one we wanted to visit a second time. As far as game sightings go, we saw lots of lions, elephants, leopard, cheetah, buffalo, zebra, giraffe, roan antelope, wild dogs and many other animals. Every game drive had an exciting story associated with it. I consider myself a very good photographer and the the varied subject matter helped bolster my reputation.

If you are thinking of going on Safari, you have to go to Little Makalolo. You will not be disappointed. I will soon be sharing my comments on the other 7 camps. And there are a clear 7th and 8th place.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Our group of 12 spent 3 nights in Little Makalolo and had a great time. The guides, staff and the surrounding wildlife was absolutely amazing. Across the camp is a hide where we watched a herd of about 50 elephants drinking and playing in a water hole. In two of our night safari drives we followed a leopard. On our way to visit a village we were able to see a cheetah stalking a group of impalas.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Rochester,NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We just returned from our 17 day tour of Africa. We visited 5 camps, and Little Makalolo was one of our favorites. The Wilderness company is very organized and they train their staff very well to meet all the needs of each guest as much as possible. They are so naturally friendly and easy to talk with.
The game drives were just thrilling and we saw so many wonderful animals. They have a log pile near a pond where the animals come to bathe and drink. You can sit 5 feet away from the elephants! I was too nervous to do that, but my husband did. While he was out there, two elephants came to the tent to eat the tree leaves around it. I was inside and pretty nervous at first. As long as you stay in your tent and be quiet, they won't bother you. What a thrilling experience!
Please listen to your travel agents regarding clothing to bring to these camps, especially in the winter. We did not bring hats or gloves and were cold without them. We thought being from upstate New York we would be just fine, forgetting that our houses and cars are heated.
The tents and trucks are not. You are in an open truck and the temp could get down to 32 F or maybe lower. During the day the temp could go to 90 F, so you are peeling off layers.

The beds were so comfortable. We found taking a shower during siesta was best as the air is so cold at night after dinner. They do have very hot water for a shower, heated by solar panels.
The guides were so knowledgeable and respectful of the animals. We found that to be true in all the camps we visited: Ruckomechi, Little Makalolo in Zimbabwe, Toka Leya in Zambia, Lagoon and Little Kwara in Botswana.
The food was amazing. It is hard to believe we didn't gain any weight. Must have been because of all the bouncing in the truck:)
We will never forget this trip and hopefully we will make it back to Africa one day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Loudon, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We were here 2 yrs ago and were disappointed, but not this time! Miss Vee and her staff took great care of us. Dickson was our guide for 4 days and we had such a wonderful time. He thinks of new ways to enjoy the wildlife and he found plenty for us to see! We loved our time there. The facilities are more rustic than in Botswana, but you don't go there for the rooms! The food was unbelievable. Miss Vee is one of a kind, making you feel as if she opened the door to her house to you. Dickson is one of our favorite guides ever!

Room Tip: We were in the honeymoon tent right by the water hole and hide. Great location!