“A Welcome Break in the Sahara” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Zone touristique, Douz 4260 , Tunisia   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Douz
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Southend On Sea
“A Welcome Break in the Sahara”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

After a very tiring and long journey by coach and an hour on the camel, we were really looking forward to spend the night in this hotel in the village of Douz. (as part of our two day Sahara Explorer package.) The reception staff were very friendly and welcoming and they sent us to our room in no time. This is a beautiful hotel with authentic Tunisian flavour, in the heart of the Sahara desert. It is decorated in rustic warm colours to keep up with the colours of the desert.
The rooms are a bit on the small size compared to other 4* hotels, but it is all right for two people for one night. The en suite bathroom was of fair size, but the glasses in the bathroom were very dirty as if they had not been washed for a long time. The lounge, the bar area and the lobby have relaxing atmosphere where one can rest, relax and unwind with a few drinks from the bar. All areas including the rooms are kept very clean. The indoor Thermal spa pool is quite large and the best place to soak the tired body and relax the mind. It is too cold to swim in the outdoor pool in winter months.
The dinner buffet had a lot of selection and the food was lovely and hot. The breakfast buffet was not as good though. The cakes did not have any taste. They had too much salt and no sugar. Bread and rolls were ok.

Room Tip: The rooms with the swimming pool view are better than other rooms without any view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This was probably my favourite hotel on my Tunisia tour. It has lots of character and large rooms.
A pleasant bar with good prices.

The buffet dinner was good quality though the range of choice was more limited than most.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
South East England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed here for one night as part of a tour. The hotel has an amazing lovely large foyer with carved decorative pillars. Room not enormous but sufficient size for two. Our room had a super big bathroom with bath and in bath shower. Tiled floors. No fridge. TV (not tried, looks fairly ancient). Dinner buffet, not a vast choice but food well cooked and hot. Indoor swimming pool which tour guide said was really nice. Outdoor pool for warmer weather with big seating area. Staff in dining room very efficient. Room and bathroom pretty clean. Couple of small maintenance issues but not of significance. Public toilets enormous and well provisioned. Dual heating/air conditioning unit. No info book, no glasses in the room, just china tooth mugs which don't appeal as a drinking vessel. Breakfast buffet small but good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Crewe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed here overnight on The Sahara Explorer Two Day Trip. After a long day on a coach and an hour on a Camel we were tired and achey! We were impressed with the reception area and our room. After a nice hot shower we went down for a meal which was included in our trip then onto the bar for drinks which we had to pay for. The bar area is lovely and low lit so its the perfect place to unwind. If you want to get away from everything this hotel is perfect plus The Sahara desert is just a stones throw away.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Truro, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed here on our 2 day excursion with Thomas Cook. We had been up since 5 the morning before so was incredibly tired by the time we reached the hotel. Once we got to the hotel a group of us were able to sit by the pool and had our drinks brought to us which was very nice aswel as a swim in the outdoor pool at midnight. It was a lovely relaxed atmosphere with friendly staff who were always on hand to help. The food was the only let down but then again alot of the local food that we attempted to eat was not the nicest. Would defiantly recommend it to anyone of any age.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tunis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have been to Douz for a Short stay (2 nights) with two of my friends. We've booked a "triple room" (I am not sure wether "triple" means three equal beds or double + extra bed, it seems to be an abused word). I have had a previous bad souvenir the year before with another Hotel in the region (please see my reviews). We've done a booking via a travel agency, well reputed in Tunisia and I can say that this case was a big deception. It was a load period for the region since their was the International Sahara Festival. So we have booked earlier enough in advance. For a 4* Hotel, we've expected a minimum of comfort. All has started with the reception man which assigned us (I don't know wheter with good intent or not) a small room, with a shower (not bathroom) and with no balcony. In my mind, All the classified Hotels should have oubviously at minimum a balcony where a rest can be taken, a cigarette can be smoken, and some fresh air can breathed. To my big deception, the room was too small for three persons, similar to a cell, one of the beds was smaller, no balcony, only a shower. I came back to reception and asked for change, the man told me "this is all we have and I can't change, otherwise I can look for another Hotel". This behavious made me angry, I asked for the Hotel manager, he tried to find a solution for me, he tried to convince me that the quality of rooms are acceptable and did not like my comparison with other Hotels. The housing manager came then and tried to solve the problem of the third bed. We wre given another room with a bathroom (quite good). But still with no balcony. Thanks to her efforts, we could manage some space in the room, but not get the required confort.
The hot swimming pool was not fully covered, the water was yellow-coloured (due to sulfur content) but was not big issue. Food in the restaurant was quite varied, but still below my expectations from a four star Hotel. In general, I think that the classification should be reviewed. This Hotel is not worth four star. More customer care should be granted.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms which does not have a balcony. Ask a room with balcony when you book. Should be specifie...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Like most people I only stayed here one night as part of the THomas Cook Sahara Explorer trip. Therefore I can give only a limited review but here goes...
-- Room was clean and comfortable. We were in a room next to the stairwell though which I would avoid as the door to the stairs squeaks, a lot!!
- Good meal in the restaurant and tasty breakfast. Limited choice for veggies (seems to be a countrywide thing).
- Thermal pool nice addition.
-Perfect base for Sahara trip.

Room Tip: Not the one next to the restaurant stairwell!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Sahara Douz? Share your experiences!