“Good But Not Great!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center

You added Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center to your Saves list
Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 Dosoris Lane, Glen Cove, NY 11542 (Formerly Harrison Conference Center)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Glen Cove
Hartford, Connecticut
“Good But Not Great!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

From the street the Glen Cove Mansion is impressive, its setting is spectacular, the neighborhood is awesome.......Check in enforces that image......the staff bend over backwards to accomodate and assist....the grounds are beautiful and well kept....but it seems to end there!! Make sure You have a Bellman's help with your baggage because it is a forever hike to your room (no it will not be in the mansion)......it is in an annex.....the hike takes you through a labyrinth of passages to get there (hint...Travel light...it is a haul...you will tire quickly of the hike).Parking is equally bad....poorly planned...another hike (Hint..stay inside..never leave the grounds).
The room will bew quite nice with a great mattress and bedding....but it will be a wee bit dated. IMO Overpriced!!! Meals are Well Prepared and Tasty...Pricing is compatible with Long Island prices (Expensive)..Worthy of a short stay but hardly worthy of more than 3 nights!!

Room Tip: Try to get close to parking...it is a very, very long walk!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
GCMHotel, Public Relations Manager at Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you were pleased with the Mansion's facade and grounds. At the Glen Cove Mansion, we strive to make a good impression on our guests from start to finish. Thank you for noting that you had a pleasant check-in experience with our front desk agents. Similarly, I am happy to hear that you were pleased with the quality of your meals.

I am sorry that you were not pleased with the layout of the Glen Cove Mansion. Our 187 guest rooms are located in the addition on the north side of the Mansion. Our parking is located on the eastern side of the grounds separated from the rooms by our patio and gardens. Our bellmen are here to help guests with your luggage to and from the guestrooms.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We are happy to have served you during your stay with family. I hope that you will visit us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Santa Fe
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

When you arrive, the facade of this old mansion leads you to think your rooms might look something like that facade. Wrong. The rooms are very ordinary and motel-like in an attached, rear building. Ours smelled like a moldy basement and some sort of sickening air-freshener. There was black mold around the bathtub edge. This is really nothing but an over-priced $200 a night motel. If it weren't for the fact that we were far from home and made the decision to stay in the area late in the day, we would never have stayed here.
We had coffee and toast in the dining room for breakfast and were charged $38(!). When I asked the manager at the front desk if there was some mistake he said "you are charged the same whether you eat a little or a lot".
This money mill was designed for people on corporate accounts who don't care if they're being over-charged because they're not paying for it. This place takes full advantage of those corporate guests in every way they can and has no conscience about it. If you're paying for your stay yourself, or care about your employer being taken advantage of, then stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else..
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry that you were not happy with your guest room. At the Mansion, we strive to meet and exceed our guests standards of cleanliness and comfort and unfortunately, we did not succeed during your stay. Your feedback has been noted and will be addressed with the housekeeping department. We take customer feedback very seriously and implement comments and suggestions in training and operating procedures.

I am sorry you were not pleased with your breakfast. We offer our breakfast buffet at a flat price so that our guests can take advantage of the extensive selection we offer.

Again, thank you for your valuable feedback.
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

If you're here, hopefully it's because it's for a conference and you have no choice. I wouldn't normally write such a nit-picky review, but I had sticker shock (on my company's behalf) when I checked out and saw the average nightly rate for my two-night stay was $320.93 (including taxes and fees). I would think you would get pretty decent accommodations for that price, but the Glen Cove Mansion is in serious need of some TLC. Broadly speaking, it just seems tired, musty, run-down and battered by years of intensive conference usage and ad hoc renovations/additions.

I'll start with the handful of good things I observed:

-- The grounds were pleasant and seemed to be well maintained (but nothing at all spectacular).

-- The beds were nice and the linens were high-quality and very clean.

-- Wi-Fi was free.

Now the bad:

-- The whole place felt damp and musty, in particular the oddly-situated block of guestrooms in the square brick building. I ran the heater for an hour (even though it was 70 degrees outside) just to try to dry the room out a bit. Ventilation in general seemed to be a problem throughout the property, with the heavy scent of cleaning products and mildew in the air pretty much everywhere.

-- Everything needs updating. They seem to be doing the best they can to keep things clean, but the wallpaper is stained and peeling, the rugs are stained, the grout in the shower is brown and moldy, etc. My tub didn't drain.

-- The free Wi-Fi didn't work. Most people could connect to the router with good signal strength, but then there was no internet connection or it was unusably slow. I think there was too much traffic from the conference I was attending, although you would think they would have the bandwidth necessary to handle that since it is a conference center...

-- The climate control system for the mansion was clearly designed by a mad scientist, with the goal of making the occupants of every room uncomfortable in unique and torturous ways. I'm not talking about slight discomfort because it was a few degrees too hot or too cold -- I'm talking about blue lips and chattering teeth or using your conference folder to fan your sweaty brow. I saw the one poor maintenance guy scrambling around to try to fix things, but to no avail.

-- The welcome package for the conference said to call the hotel when your train was arriving to make sure their shuttle knew to pick you up. I did so and was told there should be plenty of taxis at the station. It's not an expensive ride (I was charged $6), but for $320 per night you would think they could arrange for their van to pick up the small group of guests arriving each hour on the train. Similarly, when I departed they were no help getting me back to the train station. Even though I came down to the lobby 40 minutes before my train left, the best they could do was call a cab, which did not arrive in time to catch the train. I eventually had to hitch a ride with another conference attendee that had booked a private car service.

With a serious investment in renovation (I would tear down the odd, 70's-style brick block of guestrooms and build something that actually integrates with the "mansion" theme of the property), this could be a pleasant place to stay for business or pleasure. Until that happens, I don't see how you justify the price relative to the quality of the accommodations here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
GCMHotel, Public Relations Manager at Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such this detailed review. I am very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. At the Glen Cove Mansion, we take customer feedback seriously and regard comments and suggestions as an integral part of our training and improvement efforts. Your feedback is invaluable to us and helps us continue to make improvements in all aspects of our operation.

The average nightly rate of $320.93 you saw upon check-out was the complete meeting package rate per participant your company agreed on for the conference. Our complete meeting package includes three meals per day, continuous refreshment breaks, on site recreation, standard audio visual for the main conference room, parking 24 hour access to conference space and overnight accommodations. If you’d like to know the average nightly rate for just the guestroom accommodations during your stay, you can private message me on Trip Advisor and we can discuss the details further.

I apologize that the wi-fi didn’t work properly during your stay. During service interruptions, wireless connections may show full connectivity with no access to the internet. During these interruptions, our IT team follows troubleshooting procedures to determine if the issue is internal and repair any problems immediately. Unfortunately, at times the service interruption is a matter beyond our control and can only be repaired through our service provider.

Throughout meetings, our Conference Planners are in close communication with your conference coordinator. Most of the time, meeting room temperature is set at the request of your coordinator. When temperature changes are requested, it may take several minutes for the in-room temperature to adjust depending on a variety of factors including room size and amount of people in the room.

I am sorry that you experienced difficulty with your transportation to the train station upon check-out. We work closely with local taxi companies and your feedback will be useful in improving and maintaining good, on-time service to and from the Glen Cove train station.

At the Glen Cove Mansion, we take pride in our service and providing companies with the facilities and amenities to host successful meetings. Feedback from customers like yourself is greatly appreciated. With your suggestions we can continue to make improvements to our guests’ comfort and satisfaction. I hope that you will visit us again in the future.
Branford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Overall, the establishment is clean and very pretty in the lobby area. There is a beautiful patio in the back with a fountain and chairs/umbrellas. The outdoor pool area is gorgeous, but was closed when we were there. There is a bar on the 3rd floor which has a little dance floor, however drink prices are sky high. The rooms were clean and neat, but very plain. The breakfast buffet was delicious, and staff were very kind and accomodating.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
GCMHotel, Public Relations Manager at Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are very happy to hear that you were pleased with your experience at the Glen Cove Mansion. We take pride in our beautiful location and amenities as well as customer service. Your feedback regarding the pricing in the pub and the decor in your guest room have been noted and is appreciated!

Again, thank you for your feedback, we hope to see you at the Mansion again!
Port Jefferson Station, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I had been going to the mansion for years. I celebrated with my family many holidays in this beautiful mansion. My dad passed away and I enjoy coming to the place where we shared precious family time. My husband, son and I would come to the mansion to have our quality time together. I have pictures of my son from infant until age ten. He is now turning thirteen. There are a few reasons we haven't been back. The male desk clerk was very nasty. I fell down the stairs to the bowling alley once and hurt my back in front of an employee. They just said "oh, be careful". I informed the front desk that the carpet was slippery. Nothing! We went in the pool. There was hair and a dead fly in the pool. It didn't look clean. The hottub was also not very clean. The tile around the pool needed a good scrubbing. Our room, very far from the desk, was very dusty and the carpet was dirty. The dust behind the curtains was awful. The Thanksgiving Dinner used to be grand. They had a heart gingerbread cookie that could win any recipe contest, a seafood appetizer bar, etc. Then, the menu changed. Our last Thanksgiving meal there was sparse. We felt duped!
There are some nice things about this location. I love the mansion itself, the grounds are lovely. The bar is a cute place to play shuffleboard with the family or billiards. I found the bar menu was quite tasty. I enjoyed taking a book to a quiet room in the mansion with a cup of coffee. There used to be a coffee station but now I heard that is gone, as well as the fresh baked cookies every night.
This property was sold and has in my opinion, disregarded the visitors.
It really makes me sad. I hope they will listen to the reviews and make this the place where we can make some new memories.

Room Tip: Before bringing your luggage to the other end of the hotel, where your room is, check the room first...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear that you haven't returned to visit us recently. At the Glen Cove Mansion, we are constantly taking the feedback we receive from our guests and making improvements to all aspects of the guest experience. We are constantly modifying our training methods to make sure that unpleasant customer service experiences like what you had at our front desk don't happen again.

We modify our holiday menus each year using comments and suggestions from guests. We are currently in the process of creating the menu for this year's Thanksgiving and your feedback will certainly help us make it better.

Again, thank you for feedback. I hope you will come visit us again in the future. If you have any questions about this year's Thanksgiving Menu please feel free to contact me.
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My review is based solely on the room, location and general impression as we neither ate nor used any of the facilities at the hotel.

Our room was excellent, well appointed, comfortable bed, good facilities and spacious. We had a lovely view across some grassland and it was very quiet and private.

The hotel is much larger than the images of the mansion suggest with the bulk of the rooms being in modern blocks attached to the main building. It's a sprawling hotel on many levels and very easy to get lost in. You're provided with a map when you check in but even with that we managed a few wrong turns.

I can see how, if you were expecting the olde worlde country mansion that the hotel appears to be then you could be left feeling disappointed however I think that is more expectation management than quality control as the room was extremely good and the service perfectly fine.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
GCMHotel, Public Relations Manager at Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your guest room and the Mansion's grounds. Maintaining an historic Mansion is no easy task and we take pride in living up to our guests' expectations in that regard. We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you back some time in the future!
Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This property was recommended by the family of the bride and groom for a wedding we attended last weekend. Our miserable adventure started when I tried to check in and found that they had one of our two rooms scheduled for our arrival the day before. They did find another room for us. However, the first desk clerk that we spoke to was as rude as can be. He shouldn't be in the Hospitality industry. After that, when we tried to leave the mansion to head to the wedding, another wedding party was trying to take pictures in front of the mansion, and we were told by both mansion employees as well as their photographer (several times) to move away. When we finally got to our room, we found it very dated and not as clean as we expected. This property appears to be quite rundown. The final straw for me was during the brunch on Sunday morning. My wife waited for an omelette to be prepared at a station. The "chef" burned the first omelette (after more than 10 minutes), threw it out and asked my wife what she wanted. When she said eggs, the "jerk" asked if she expected him to crack eggs? I convinced her to just get scrambled eggs. When we got back to the tables, we found that the same experience happened to one of my cousins.

My recommendation? Run, don't walk away from this property. In all fairness, I did NOT mention any of this to the front desk at checkout as I wanted to escape as quickly as possible. So, I did not give them an opportunity to rectify anything.

Oh. The second desk clerk I dealt with was very professional and if I was in the business, I would have tried to hire him.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
GCMHotel, Public Relations Manager at Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay.

We take it very seriously when we fail to meet our guests' standards in all aspects of their stay. The front desk is our opportunity to give you a great first impression and we failed to do so upon check-in. Similarly, your interactions with our staff should be pleasant during your meal periods and we did not meet your expectations of meal quality and customer service during your breakfast.

Thank you for noting that you had a pleasant experience during checkout. Your experience during checkout is an example of the standard of service we strive to achieve and exceed across all of our departments and should have been the standard for your entire stay.

We deeply apologize for not performing to your standards. With your feedback, we'll be able to implement new training methods to address customer service within all of our departments.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Been to Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center? Share your experiences!