“Romantic for Couples” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vinifera Inn

Vinifera Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Geneva
Vinifera Inn
You added Vinifera Inn to your Saves list
4069 Route 14 South, PO Box 609, Geneva, NY 14456   |
Ranked #8 of 10 Geneva B&B and Inns
PORT ALLEGANY
“Romantic for Couples”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

With both jacuzzis for two, showers for two and fireplaces in the rooms, wineglasses and a corkscrew, this resort at the north end of Seneca Lake was the perfect stopover between winetasting on the west and east sides of the lake. If you must do business, the desk is in its own adjacent workspace. Generously sized chocolate replicas of the original 1880s stone castle welcomed us to our pillows. A spacious room with two sinks, fridge, full size coffeemaker, and many extra amenities - robes and slippers, toothbrushes and paste, loofas, etc. had us wishing we'd booked a longer stay. A comp coffee and juice bar in the lobby sent us on our way. We'll be back with bubbles for the jacuzzi and a plug in nightlight to navigate our way to the bath,

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Saylorsburg, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed here to attend a wedding and the happy couple graciously paid accommodations for the wedding party - had that not been the case, we would never have had the chance to experience the great rooms/grounds of Belhurst Castle. The room was huge, my boyfriend was in the jacuzzi tub everyday and the lake view was just beautiful. Having two sinks was a great plus, especially when getting ready for the rehearsal, etc. I love a room with a magnifying mirror too, which these had... great for applying makeup! The bathroom was nothing special, and the fancy tiled, two headed shower was cool, but definitely had mildew or something in the grout (no biggie, but given the cost of these rooms, shouldn't have been there, IMO). We enjoyed exploring the grounds and the older chambers side of the castle. The food was great in both Stonecutter's (loved the pulled pork quesadilla and other guests' meals looked very good too) and Edgar's, but really in the end, I think this is a place better left visited, but seek lodging somewhere else (unless of course money is no object to you, or, like in our case, it's necessary to have participants in a wedding ceremony on site... then it just makes good sense.)

Room Tip: Have deep pockets
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Buffalo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Booked a last minute weekday getaway for our anniversary. Choose the Vinifera Inn because we read the reviews of the mustyness of the Belhurst rooms. So happy we did. We had room 304 - a "reserve" room. It is a huge room. Kingsized bed, loveseat in front of the fireplace (have to come back in the Fall to try that out), four large screened in windows overlooking the lake, jacuzzi. Appreciated the extra sink across from the fridge and coffee maker. Plenty of shelf space in the bathroom and comfortable robes. Very quiet and comfortable room. We were there during very warm weather so it was a pleasure to open the windows at night and enjoy the breeze and the relaxing sounds of the lake. Liked the wine tasting, walking the grounds, even the complimentary beverages in the lobby. Only minor complaint is that wifi is only available in the lobby area and in Stonecutter's. Yes it was a romantic getaway and we should put the communication devices away but we wanted to find out some last minute info on nearby attractions and would have preferred being able to do so in our room. Not a big deal. The Vinifera is a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Albany,NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Went for an overnight trip with my wife. Would recommend the rooms at the Vinifera Inn.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
pittsford ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed one night with two other couples and we all had the same thoughts.
Pros
large room
great view
nice outside patio by the bar w/ firepit
friendly staff
great breakfast buffet
Cons
air conditioner/heater right next to bed making person on that side too hot/cold
jucuzzi bath next to bed looked out of place a waste
nice walkin shower but poor water pressure
spa lacked amenities like a hot tub or spa relaxation room
for a resort touting health and well-being no workout facilities

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Manlius, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

My sister and I took a two night mini-vacation at the Vinafera. What a lovely place! Our large room overlooked Seneca Lake. It had a fireplace and jacuzzi tub and was very quiet...we knew there were other guests staying at the Inn, but heard no one. We had breakfast in the Belhurst Castle ( attached to the Inn) on a beautiful porch overlooking the lake, and dinner one evening on the same porch. One evening we had a small meal at the more casual restaurant in the Inn, which, although it was lovely, was more like a Friday's type food quality. One thing I would like to change...a hostess at Edgar's, the very nice restaurant at the Castle, repeatedly called us "you guys." Wireless available only on the first floor...hope they fix that.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

I took my wife here for a romantic weekend away just after US Thanksgiving. Belhurst/Vinifera came very highly recommended by a friend from work. We stayed two nights and were really disappointed, especially considering the room rate. Most disappointing though is that no one seemed to care about the quality of our stay.

Here's the breakdown:

The Good:
The castle is beautiful and so are the grounds. We had a really nice room overlooking the lake and being early risers we got to watch two beautiful sun rises.
The staff, for the most part, are very friendly.
The room was really big, could use some updating (more on that later) but the fireplace and jacuzzi were really nice to have.

The Bad
The phones didn't work, I mentioned this to staff and the response I got was that the phones haven't worked in a long time (I got the impression that there's no plan to fix them)
Some small things like marks on the wall, the mirror falling out of the wall - they need to spend very little money to just polish it up a bit, especially for over $200 a night

The Terrible
The night we arrived there was a function going on and the speakers were so loud I can tell you in detail the prizes they were auctioning off and who won them. Not really the romantic atmosphere we were promised. I had to go down to the front desk (because the phone was broken) and ask them to lower the volume, which they eventually did, but still, I could here everything that was going on. I spoke to the front desk the next morning and we got a small credit, I'm not sure if it was enough, but I accepted it because I was too tired to argue. The hotel has a central heating system that is cranked up so high, it was hard to sleep. It's really nice having that romantic fireplace in the room but don't turn it on unless you have the windows open when it's below freezing outside. So your choice is no fireplace or fireplace on with windows wide open and curtains open to let the cool breeze in - sounds romantic eh?When I left I mentioned my disappointment and the woman at the desk really didn't care. She gave me a card to fill out, I left my name and room number (they have my contact info) and it's been a week and no one from management has called or emailed. This to me is unacceptable - no follow-up, no apology, no respect for guests, no pride in their establishment.

So would I go back? No. Customer service is usually so good in the US, but not here. If you decide to go, check first to see if there's a function that night or just demand a room on the third floor to be safe.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Vinifera Inn? Share your experiences!