“Worth a trip!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Reservations Recommended. Maximum group is 8.
London, Canada
“Worth a trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

This is a wonderful restaurant. There is a long specials list and everything sounds so good that you will have trouble deciding on your meal. We shared the cherry salad with goat cheese, and I chose the swordfish while my husband had the scallops.Everything was outstanding and not overly pricey. We would go out of our way to have dinner at this restaurant. You will not be disappointed or think you could have had better if you'd stayed home.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Hawley, Pennsylvania
“Simply Amazing!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

While on a weekend getaway my wife and I made reservations (a must) at Ports. She had been there before and said it was great so me being all about a good me was all in. The menu is quite limited which I prefer but each night there is a menu of chef specials that will leave you drooling on yourself. I went with fresh Prince Edward Island mussels and a Cobi dish entree. I had the best dinner of my life I think. My wife had a fresh fish entree as well with a house salad and she loved it also. The atmosphere is crowded and rather tight which I had a problem with due to claustrophobia issues but as I sat there for about 10 minutes I got used to it and settled down. The amount of people in this place is a testament to how good it is. The prices I thought were on the high side but in the end I have to say it was worth every penny. If you are in the Finger Lakes region this is a must do. Dont miss out on this hidden gem!!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Highland Park, Illinois
“A local gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

What an excellent restaurant! I was on a five day golf outing with my father (in his 80s) and my two younger brothers. My youngest brother found this place and I would say that as far as we all were concerned, it was a hit. It's casual and slightly rustic. Also a bit off the beaten path, but well worth it.

Although there were a number of interesting items on the menu, the list of specials (which are provided verbally and in writing) are extensive and fantastic. Great selections of fresh fish, including escolar and halibut. A nice selection of meat dishes as well. I had a New York Strip Steak with pecans and blue cheese that was wonderful (the nuts and cheese were added in moderation and did not overwhelm the steak) - exactly medium rare and the right size: enough to finish without being too full. Fun deserts as well - blueberry crème brulee; was my favorite - there was good ice cream as well, and a variety of other slightly unusual things.

Only beer and wine from the bar - no hard liquor. We tried some wines from the Finger Lakes area. They were fun, although not great. Enjoyable, but not very complex. (I suppose that's another discussion altogether) but they went well with the meal. Our waitress was terrific. Friendly, without being 'in your face.' She made good recommendations and checked frequently to be sure we had water, etc.

In nice weather there are a few tables outside, facing (unfortunately) the parking lot. But on a nice night, no one would care (all of the outdoor seating was full when we were there).

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa, Ontario
“Already thinking about a return visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I had the best pasta dish I've EVER had when I ordered the Shrimp Sauté. The dish was amazing, there were lots of shrimps and artichokes and the sauce was absolutely perfect. Hands down the best I've ever had. My husband had the cracked pepper and garlic seasoned rib eye steak and the other couple with us each had Delmonico steak cooked differently (one med-rare and the other well-done). Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meals and I do mean that emphatically!. Another thing that impressed me about this place is the daily menu selection - no question that some restaurants on their regular menu have fewer items than on Port's daily specials, plus they still have their regular menu which is on their web page. The restaurant was busy and a bit noisy but we had a later reservation so it was starting to thin out a bit by the time we arrived. We had been told and also read on Trip Advisor that it can be difficult to get a reservation. We happened to be driving by it on our return from our wine country touring on the Friday and stopped by to see if we could get a reservation for 4 - and we're glad we were able to. I would definitely recommend a visit.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Haven, Connecticut
“One of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

If you are looking at the menu online, put that out of your head. The waitress said that most people order from the specials list. And what a list it was! Terrific chef and ideas that dazzled. Four of us split some appetizers and we each had very different main courses. All good and terrific wine list. No bar. Great service. Even if this is out of the way, make your way to have dinner there.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere