“Don't judge this book by its cover” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 70 Restaurants in Geneva
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Description: Reservations Recommended. Maximum group is 8.
Glen Mills, Pennsylvania
“Don't judge this book by its cover”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

This place reminded me of some of the best restaurants in South Philly ... You probably wouldn't go in to eat if you judged it by it's exterior. But prepare for a great meal and excellent service!!! This place is always packed ... be sure to make reservations.

As indicated in prvious reviews, the basic menu was okay, but the "specials' were extensive and creative. My wife and I both ordered from the specials menu.

I had a great Manhattan Seafood Chowder for openers followed by a delicious bacon wrapped sirloin steak. The meat looked more like a giant filet, thick and juicy, and prepared medium rare, exactly as ordered. The grilled vegetables were very tasty as were the french fries.

My wife had a very tasty salad, followed by stuffed flounder and was likewise very satisfied with the main course and vegetables.

There was a very nice desset menu as well. I had a very tasty peach cobbler and my wife had a delicious (but quite rich) chocolate ice cream cake dish.

The restaurant was quite loud which made it a little difficult to hear. The bar is limited to a nice selection of wine and beer. No mixed drinks.

All in all, this was a great experience. Highly recommended.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“Recent dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The menu was extensive in it's specials, the waitress one of the best we've ever had, but the food came out slowly and was very salty. The wines by the glass were just average at best.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
pa.
“Don't Miss”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

My husband and family have been several times. The menu is so so, but the specials are always a hit. Wine by the glass from local wineries is the best value. casual, little noisy, but a nice view of the lake,too.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Pigeon, MI
“Great Presentation and Delicious Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Although I was slightly disappointed with the decor/atmosphere of this restaurant, the food and service more that makes up for that. The regular menu was very good but the many 'specials' were 'to die for'. There were five of us at the table, each ordering something different and all of us were delighted with both the food and the service.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Barrie
“A Must-Eat! Order a Special!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I decided to eat at the Ports Cafe on our anniversary trip to the Finger Lakes because it was recommended on Trip Advisor. When the GPS told us we had arrived, I thought we had the wrong place; it really isn't much to look at from the outside. If it wasn't for all of the cars in the parking lot I don't know if I would have actually gone in.
We had made reservations a couple of weeks prior to our visit, on the advice of Trip Advisor reviewers, and were glad we did- the place was PACKED! The host gave us the choice of waiting for a table inside or eating outside, and we chose the latter. It had just stopped raining and there was a rainbow out, which we thought was kind of nice.
Anyway, we sat down with the menus and I thought I knew what I wanted to order. That was, until the waitress came by and listed the fourteen, yes FOURTEEN specials they had that night! There was everything from a porterhouse steak to a BBQ platter, chicken cordon bleu, bacon wrapped filet mignon to the duck, which my husband ordered, and the seafood kebabs, which I ordered. I also ordered a glass of Finger Lakes wine and my husband ordered a root beer (not too exciting, but we found REALLY good root beer while we were in NY. Weird).
The service was excellent, and our order was just as we had ordered and delicious. If you choose to eat here you should be prepared to wait a significant amount of time (we only saw a chef and sous chef in the kitchen), but not TOO long. It gave us a chance to have a really, adult, sans-baby conversation, and the food was definitely worth the wait.
The best part of the whole evening? When our bill came it was only $60 for the both of us- you'd pay a lot more for this quality of food in any other restaurant!
If you go, don't even bother looking at the menu; if you can't find something perfect for your taste on the specials menu... then, you're pretty hard to please!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere