“Unique accomodations in a beautiful setting” 5 of 5 stars

You added Belhurst - Chambers in the Castle to your Saves list
Belhurst - Chambers in the Castle
4069 Route 14 South, Geneva, NY 14456   |
A TripAdvisor Member
“Unique accomodations in a beautiful setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2006

I stayed at Belhurst for two nights in June, 2005. My husband and I actually were married on the lawn overlooking the lake and had our reception in the newer ballroom. I am honestly quite surprised by so many of the negative postings as it is truly one of my favorite places to visit. We stayed in the Tower Suite, but rented all of the chambers in the castle for relatives and members of the bridal party so I have been in all of them. The rooms in the older part of the castle do vary quite a bit in terms of size, appointments, and decor but they are well explained on their website. Not to mention that the free wine spigot on the 2nd floor is wonderful. Some people have commented that it was dry and staff was unattentive to keeping the wine flowing, but our experience was just the opposite - and I can attest to the fact that almost all of our guests were helping themselves. I can't comment on the new rooms in Vinifera Inn, but I do agree that it looks more "standard hotel" and has taken away some of the character from the place. Yes, the older part of the castle is, well, older... but that is also part of the charm. If you like spic and span new and modern decor this section is probably not for you. If you like staying somewhere unique that doesn't really look like a hotel, then by all means stay in the castle... the combination of the castle, the location, and atmosphere is unbeatable. We had many comments from our wedding guests that it was one of the prettiest places they've been. Overall, I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't have liked it and my husband and I can't wait to return.

• Stayed June 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
State College PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2006

We have stayed at Belhurst in the Tower Suite for the past 5 years in the winter/off season. Since the expansion last year, the place has lost some of its character. The balcony in the tower suite is now closed off with dirty Plexiglass, obscuring the view and cheapening the room. The winery, pub, and additions have also diminished some of the character--where it was a charming, quaint, quiet place to say, it is now a bit more commercial and loud. Just a matter of taste, I guess. One side note, the tower suite could use a new hot tub. The one in there is very, very old.

• Stayed December 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2005

I took my girlfriend to White Springs manor for our two year anniversary. It is a mansion on top of a hill on a grape vineyard. It also has a nice view of the lake in the distance.

You have to go to Belhurst to check in and get your key and then drive to White Springs. No staff is at White Springs which was great. Very private and secluded. We felt as if we were the only people there. If you like to call for room service or extra towels then this place isn't for you. The room was very clean. I checked out the rooms at the website before I made reservations and that was a nice feature. With a canopy bed, hot tub, and fireplace you can't go wrong.

Edgars was expensive, but you get what you pay for. Service and food exceeded expecations. We also went to sunday brunch. If I had to do it over again I would have went somewhere cheaper for dinner and just done the sunday brunch(make reservation.) Also, the wine tasting at Belhurst was pretty nice.

We had a great time and will be back again!

• Stayed February 2005
Penn Yan, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2005

We went with six others to the Belhurst Castle to celebrate a special occasion, and ate dinner at Edgar's. The prices were extremely high. They charge nearly $50 for a lobster tail. A bowl of soup costs $9. Salad was a big hunk of iceberg lettuce still in the wedge with no other vegetables than a tomato and two slices of cucumber. The tomato was not ripe. My fish was tough, overcooked. They put a disgusting glop of cheese on top that tasted like glue. I'm pretty sure it was a frozen piece of fish that had been microwaved. Our friend couldn't eat her prime rib because it was extremely tough - overcooked and cold. Again, we thought it may have been microwaved. Our bill came to nearly $300. They brought out the entrees before we were finished with out appetizers. Coffee cups and water glasses sat unfilled during the meal. We found a rubber band in our food. The waitress said, "Oh, that happens in the kitchen when they are doing the napkins, rubber bands fly everywhere". The Belhurst tries to lay claim to being a fine dining establishment, but what they really are is one huge rip-off. Tourists beware. You won't find locals eating here.

Stayed November 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2005

Our family took a trip up to the Finger Lakes this year and we spent two wonderful nights at the Belhurst Castle. Highlights of the stay included drinks and dinner on the outdoor patio the first night under a full moon. The food and drinks were excellent and the wait staff was very professional. The second night we dined inside and again we had a wonderful meal. The hotel was spic and span and our rooms could not have been any nicer. Staying in a place such as the Belhurst is a real treat. We did have one hiccup and that was the air conditioner in the detached "Ice House." It was July and the Ice House's bed is in a loft. We had a very hard time getting the Ice House cooled down on a hot July night. If you are going to stay in the Ice House, I suggest you call in advance and ask them to turn the air conditioner on before you get there or you may have the same problem we did. All in all though we had a great stay. Its too bad that you can't create a hotel chain of Belhurst Castle's from coast to coast, but then I guess it wouldn't be the unique experience that it is. The day we left, we were already wondering when we might be able to come back.

• Stayed July 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2005

Ignore the good reviews and listen to all of the bad ones. This is an awful awful place. Whoever is in charge here has either never stayed in a real hotel in his or her life, or is perpetrating a terrible, elaborate joke. Either way, staying anywhere else, including your car, would be preferable.

• Stayed October 2005
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2005

Just had a wonderful weekend of wine tasting. Stayed up the road at the White Springs Manor. Although the wife suspected it may be haunted , the stay was excellent. Had the Lee room upstairs. Jacuzzi was a great surprise. Huge room with great views.
Very quiet. All in all , a great visit.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Belhurst - Chambers in the Castle? Share your experiences!