“Charming spot for lunch” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Big Tree Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Geneseo
Big Tree Inn
You added Big Tree Inn to your Saves list
46 Main Street, Geneseo, NY 14454   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Geneseo B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Charming spot for lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

My husband and I enjoyed lunch at the Big Tree Inn on our way to a hike in Dansville, NY. The inn is a well-maintained historic brick building, and the dining room atmosphere was stately, with high ceilings, lovely crown moldings, and a beefy mantelpiece. I had picked the place for its character, expecting average sandwiches and burgers, but I was pleasantly surprised and sated by the meal that followed. My husband, who usually just takes skim milk in his coffee, happily added the whipped cream and chocolate bits that came on the side with his cup of regular. While the menu is not extensive, we both enjoyed our lunch options. The Monte Cristo--a "tradition" at the inn--was a wonderful mix of savory and sweet, combining turkey, ham, and gruyere with berry compote, raspberry sauce, and creme anglaise. The Bethiah burger came "medium" as ordered and was a tall-bite with its dressings. Both the sweet potato fries and potato wedgies were yummy sides; house-made chips and fruit salad were other side options that we passed up, but they looked good on other diners' plates. The server was personable and attentive, keeping my husband's coffee cup filled and our water glasses topped off. The atmosphere and little extras made this a romantic lunch!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed at the Big Tree Inn while interviewing for a position at SUNY Geneseo. You cannot beat the location if you want to be as close to campus as possible. I stayed in the Lily of the Valley room on the 3rd floor. This Inn is on the National Register of Historic Places, so no elevators are available, which may be difficult if a patron cannot walk up or down stairs easily. This was not an issue for me, however. My room was small and cozy--and extremely clean! The bathroom looked like it had just been renovated with new toilet, corner shower, sink, mirror and lights. Let me reiterate -- everything was very, very clean. The room had air conditioning, a nice flat screen television, 2 free water bottles (which was a very nice touch) and a large closet. The continental breakfast was very nice: assorted bagels, pastries, fresh fruit, coffee, tea, etc. I was more than happy with the breakfast items. During my interview, we came to the Big Tree Inn for lunch and it was very, very good. Everything tasted great and the service was excellent. I couldn't have been more happy with my stay here.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Warsaw, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

Well, first off some of my friends said this was a great place. So, while my mother, who drove 5 hours to see me came into town, I thought what a great place to have a nice lunch. WOW… I was wrong, in a BIG way. First off, when our food was brought out to us, the salad came out with the entrée, and when she dropped our food off, she left, with out refilling the water glasses or asking if there was anything else. So, finally when she did reappear we got our water and a “do you need anything else” And of course 20 moments later I would surly need something. So, I asked for some more coffee, and the others asked for some other things and she said “ ok, I’ll be right back”. So a another 20 moments went by, and there’s my mother waving down the manager to ask if she could get some of the things she asked for. And my girlfriend had not received what she had asked for either, plus by that time her fish was getting cold. So, after a few more moments of waiting and the manager getting the things we had asked for, the original waitress returns saying in a ridiculous tone “ I had three other tables and I’m busy” Not 2 seconds ago the manger had told us that we were her only table. And after that more rude remarks and poor attitude came out of this woman. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing, poor poor poor customer service, I’ve never paid money to be treated that badly in my life. The manager did pick up our lunch, but we were so uncomfortable that we couldn’t eat it, so we left. If your thinking of going…. My advice, the bowling ally gave us better service!!!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

This is a first for us. We have never written a negative review before but this deserves it. We have been through a busy busy period and decided to get a relaxing weekend away to treat ourselves. My wife booked online a jacuzzi suite with fireplace (Bethia). We printed off the login and reservation with photo of the jacuzzi. She phoned to confirm the Bethia suite and was told yes the jacuzzi suite was what we had booked. The person on the phone was courteous and helpful. We asked about check in and were told that though check in was later we could likely check in at 12. That was the last helpful experiences for us.
We arrived after 2:15 following a long drive and delay at the border. We were then informed that our room was not ready as the houskeeper had a flat tire?? There were two people at the desk but they couldn't get a room made up by two?
Then we were given the key to our suite which was not the one we booked. It was the McVitie. We asked about whether it had a jacuzzie and were told no that "hockey dad" had the Bethia booked for ages. We were upset but as it was late felt it was too late to cancel. We told them we had called to confirm and been told we were getting a jaccuzzi suite. They said that wasn't possible. No offer of compensation was made at all simply that we must have misunderstood. If we hadn't called to confirm maybe that could be true. As the room was not ready we left to go to the state park. There is a lovely inn there by the way. When we returned at 8:00 we found to our dismay that our room was much smaller than pictured and not only did not have a jacuzzi but did not have a tub at all rather just a shower which was not at all what we had booked and for 170 a night a very poor value. Even a motel usually has a coffee maker in the room but not here. If you want a coffee go downstairs.. (if its open).
We would have gone to a motel rather than this if they had bothered to inform us.
The romantic fireplace is not visible from the bed. At least one can see the flickering light on the ceiling. Unfortunately the fan for the fireplace develops a noisy rattle that goes on for over half an hour after you turn the firplace off to kill the noise. You can watch tv on the limited channels if the poor picture quality dosen't bother you.
We went down to get dinner deciding not to trust the retaurant for "fine dining". In the pub we were given the choice of ordering from the tavern menu or fine dining menu. A nice idea I thought. We ordered french onion soup, crab cakes and shrimp cocktail as we didnt feel like a full meal. Thank God. The french onion soup was flavourless and lukewarm at best yet the cheese was melted so likely microwaved rather than baked.
The crab cakes were more minced than flaked and the the coating soggy. Again the food was only mildly warm and vurtually flavourless. The soggy crust would once again suggest microwaving. The shrimp cocktail was at least cold.
To this point the only good thing I can say is the furniture is nice in the room if you don't mind the 4 " gapon the side of the bed between the mattress and the king bed frame. Great for banging the foot when you get up to make sure you are awake. Hopefully only one of you reads as there is only a lamp on one side of the bed. The morning adds insult to injury as one can have a lukewarm weak shower without shampoo as only body lotion and bath oil were provided. Yes bath oil....you do remember i mentioned no bath? Proceeding to the continetal breakfast we went downstairs to find unsliced bagels some fruit on a platter with saran wrap thrown over and some stale mini danish and croissants again covered in saran wrap. There is a toaster (for the bagels I assume)but no bread for toast. there is cream cheese but no jam or spreads. The coffee pot was empty and a fellow "diner" went to find the attendant who was not at the desk but rather surfing the net on her laptop in the lounge. There was no sugar or sweetener and her only comment when asked was "oh somebody must have forgotten to put it out". She was the only one there. There were room temperature yogurts so I suspect the breakfast may have been out all night. There was some fruit which was the best of the breakfast.
All in all I would have expected better from a $59 motel. Such a waste of a lovely building. There seems to be a complete lack of attention to detail and visitor satisfaction.
Never again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Newberg, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

Exterior building and gardens are charming but that is where the charm ends. Inside, the entry and stair carpets were dark with dirt. Our room was hapazardly cleaned; water bottles left under chair and near nightstand. Dust and debris left on floor. Large patches of mold growing around tub in the calking. Stained and unclean bathrobes. We would have checked out and left had it not been late after a long days drive. That and the bed linens appeared clean. Tthe staff was lackadaisical so I didn't bother to complain; what would be the point? Has a great little pub but we were afraid to eat there. The inn is owned by the university. Hopefully they will fix these problems.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Binghamton, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

We arrived at the Big Tree Inn restaurant on a Saturday at one o'clock in the afternoon. There were only three of us, but the hostess had to seat us in a separate, empty room. Though the decor was lovely, we sat waiting for twenty minutes before the server even came in to tell us the specials. She was frumpy and disheveled and had difficulty communicating what the specials actually were. We each ordered a cup of soup and a salad, which we thought would be quick. It was half an hour before the server came back into the room. In that time, the hostess came in to check that the water pitcher on the cabinet was full, but did not bother to check that our glasses were full, so we got up and filled the glasses ourselves from the water pitcher. When the server finally returned with our soup, we had been sitting at the table for 50 minutes. She was so unsteady with the tray that a good bit of soup ended up in the saucers rather than the bowls and one of the spoons she brought had to be taken back because she noticed at the last second that it was dirty, but we said not to worry, we would use the dinner spoon. The soup itself would have been fairly good if it had been hot, but it was lukewarm at best and had no doubt been sitting out waiting to be brought from the kitchen. After we finished our small bowls of tepid soup we waited another ten minutes before realizing that it was after 2 o'clock and the kitchen supposedly stopped serving lunch at two. We had not received our entrees and had not seen our server since she brought the soup. Since we did not have an infinite amount of time to spend waiting for salads, we decided to leave. We told the hostess that we had spent the last hour sitting at a table eating only lukewarm soup and water we had served ourselves. Her response was to fetch the server, who approached us without any recognition or explanation. We asked for a cheque for the soup and told her to cancel the rest of our order. She said that instead of a cheque she would get the manager. At this point, I went to use the restroom, which was very pleasant and had real towels to dry my hands. When I returned five minutes later, the hostess and server had both disappeared and I found out the manager never had shown up. We felt this was the last straw, so we placed enough money to pay for the soup on the hostess stand and left the establishment. In conclusion, if you are looking for a historic and elegant place to use the restroom, this might be a good choice, but for any type of dining experience you will get better service from a New York City hot dog vendor. We will never attempt to dine in this "restaurant" again!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
STAUNTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I have been to the Big Tree Inn several times in the past year to plan my daughter's wedding which will take place this coming Septemebr. Every room is beautifuly refurbished and decorated in true period charm. Whike true, some rooms are larger than others, it's to be remembered that this IS a historic inn, and the rooms are far from cookie cutter. The food that we've had here is nothing short of 4star - which was actually a primary factor in selecting this for our daughter's wedding reception. Now for the staff...thay couldn't be more friendly and accomodating than they are. They have bent over backwards to make us happy and help see my vision for this reception through to fruition. There's a new manager on the premises - Debbie, and she is manaing this entire facility efficiently and professionally. For anyone who made have had less that a 5 star experience in the past, please give it another try. Since being under Debbie's direction the Inn is flourishing.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Been to Big Tree Inn? Share your experiences!