“Wiener Schnitzel is not good.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Edgewater, New Jersey
“Wiener Schnitzel is not good.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Recently dined at Mountain Brauhaus and found the staff to be excellent, the appetizer very good and the salad fine but the Wiener Schnitzel was terrible. So very dry, I thought I was eating warm bread crumbs. It was a long drive, a great expectation but a big disappointment.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
“Great German restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

German food isn't normally my first choice for dinner, but the food was excellent, well prepared and nicely presented. They had a good beer menu (which you'd expect).

Atmosphere was relaxed and inviting, and the clientele is eclectic but friendly. Because it's close to major rock-climbing areas, the dining area filled with people clearly just back from the trails & cliffs, families with young kids, European travelers and middle-aged groups -- and this was in April, far from the height of the season.

Definitely worth a stop!

Visited April 2013
Staten Island, New York
“Das schmeckt gut!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

A German place right across the street fro our hotel (Minnewaska Lodge)? Perfect! Wife had the saurbraten and I tried the sausage sampler. Being big fans of German cuisine both dishes ranked high for us. We also tried the goulash soup which really hit the spot. But was German food without the beer? My wife tried a stout while I tried a beer with raspberry syrup. It was like dessert. Waitress was friendly but she did make a mistake with our bill and charged my card to a table of 4 adjacent to us. She immediately fixed the problem and alerted me of the mistake. No harm no foul. Great dinner overall.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Suffern
“Excellent Food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This place is great. The atmosphere is fantastic. The servers have traditional German outfits. I haven't been in such a wonderful German restaurant since I left, Ridgewood Queens. We had lunch. I ordered the Sourbrautan. It was the real deal. Marinated, not sour gravy covered pot roast. Large portion, potato pancakes and red cabbage. Extra gravy was no problem.
My wife ordered a Grass- Fed burger on a pretzel with sweet Bavarian mustard. UNBELIEVABLE!
Well we were stuffed. But. When the waitress mentioned cake with pistachio crust and raspberry.... The best desert I"VE EVER HAD!
The price was very reasonable, the staff had no problem posing for pictures.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Excellent authentic German food , good beer and great atmosphere! It could be busy and they don't take phone reservation, usually

• Visited July 2012