“Overrated and a very unpleasant experience! ” 3 of 5 stars

You added Garden City Hotel to your Saves list
Garden City Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 Seventh Street, Garden City, NY 11530   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Garden City
“Overrated and a very unpleasant experience! ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I travel internationally 40 weeks per year and spend approximately 250 nights within that year in hotel rooms of various ratings. I am not picky and sincerely only expect a comfortable bed, a clean, quite, room with serviceable amenities and a hot shower.
Events took place during my stay in the G.C. Hotel that I haven't experienced in the most run down, outdated dumps.
1:35 a.m. the fire alarm goes off and blasts me out of bed.
Unfortunately, I was unable to get back to sleep and had a 14 hr flight to Tokyo the next day.
I finally decided to just get out of bed and try to shake the cobwebs out with some coffee. The coffee machine was a piece of junk that sputtered quite a bit but was unable to actually produce a cup of coffee.
I called guest services and the woman on the phone was extremely kind and understanding and immediately sent up a pot of freshly brewed coffee.
I just wanted to check out of the place at this point so I showered and went down to the front desk and attempted to calmly express my disappointment. I travel way too much to explode over situations like this because it get you nowhere!
The guy behind the desk (I won't mention his name) proceeds to go into a pre-rehearsed, bloviated diatribe defending the situation as a "unforseen circumstance" and although I never asked for any compensation, he further made sure to point out that he couldn't discount my room rate because I booked it through an online travel company. He also made sure to reminded me that I received a pot of "complimentary" coffee.
Riddle me this G.C. Hotel Management... If coffee is supposed to be supplied in the room at no extra charge and it is not, how is replacement coffee "complimentary"?
On a positive note.. Hotel is clean, rooms are spacious, beds and pillows are comfortable and the bathrooms are clean with nice toiletries.
I realize the world is an imperfect place and "unforseen circumstances" do occur but to be treated and dismissed so rudely upon checkout is totally unacceptable.

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Finnish first
Teaneck, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a classic, old world hotel that has been tastefully renovated in recent years. We were here for the annual Christmas party. The catering was top notch: hot and cold, prime rib, lamb chops, pasta bar, salmon, dessert table. All well executed. Staff is very professional and the decor tasteful and elegant. We stayed the night. Our room was spacious, immaculate, with marble bathroom and overstuffed king bed. The soundproofing is excellent. We couldn't hear anything outside the room. I was a little surprised they didn't add outlets given that most travelers have several devices that need to be plugged in. The area is charming and a golf course is right across the street. An excellent place to visit or plan a special occasion. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
JamessinaH, Guest Relations Manager at Garden City Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hillary, thank you for your recent stay and glowing review. I am glad to read that you have once again enjoyed a holiday event here at The Garden City Hotel and experienced the first class culinary and catering team! I am also thrilled to read that you enjoyed our brand new guest rooms and Luxe Dreams bed! We look forward to seeing you again on a future stay, thank you again!
NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The good
Large rooms
New beds

The bad
1. No center room light switch. You have to turn on each lamp in the room
2. There was only one available socket in the room near a table to charge your phone. The table was NOT near the bed. It was across the room
3. The bathroom has no space as a vanity. No place to put your toiletries.
4. The heat/AC rattle
5. The TV is a joke, small screen and a 5 second delay when changing channels.
6. The alarm clock is a charger for and iphone 4! Really?, let's get with the times. Most iphone people have the 5 or 6.

I thought this was a 5 star hotel? It's equipped and laid out worse than the hilton garden inn. They spend all this money to fix it up and miss the simple things. Not impressed especially for what they charge for the rooms. You are better off at a chain hotel, at least the rooms are laid out to be convenient and functional.

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent stay and review. I did want to alert you for any future stays that our docking/entertainment station on the night table is compatible with all versions of the iPhone as well as Android mobile and tablet devices, it just requires your own cable to be plugged into the top portion- to both charge as well as stream to the 42" HDTV. Instructions for guests can be found on the document on the nightstand. We look forward to seeing you on a future stay, please let us know if there is anything we can provide for you to make your stay more enjoyable.
Huntington, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Checked in Friday evening for a stay cation . Checked in at 10 pm. Lounge had a prohibition party. The staff was and several customers could have stepped out of a speakeasy. Had a bite to eat in the steakhouse next to lounge. What a pleasant surprise. Delicious baby onion soup served compliments of the chef. Split a strip steak that was one of the best steaks I remember having. Great wines by the glass. Side of Brussels sprouts perfect.

The is just completing a renovation. Our room was one of those renovated. Very comfortable and romantic.

Went shopping at mall on Saturday before company holiday party. Not to be disappointed the holiday party was a blast. New location this year. My wife also said it was the best piece of fish she ever had. The sea bass was amazing. The room was snug based on attendance growing.
Only sorry the weekend had to end.

Room Tip: Upper floor, seemed like a few parties were going on.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
JamessinaH, Guest Relations Manager at Garden City Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you, Rocco, for your recent stay and review! I am glad to read you were able to enjoy one of our 'themed' evenings at Polo Lounge as well as dinner in our acclaimed Polo Steakhouse.
I am also glad to read that you enjoyed our brand new guest rooms, location, and a celebratory event in one of our ballrooms. We look forward to seeing you on a future stay!
Berne, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a beautiful, classic hotel. The rooms have been recently updated and are well-decorated. The property is meticulously maintained. The dining room serves really good (if overpriced) food, with a steak-house focused menu in the main room and small plates fare in the lounge. Staff are courteous, if a bit stiff. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are quiet. A great place for a relaxing stay.

My main beef is that it isn't set up for business travelers. The work areas are extremely small. The internet (at a cost of $12.95) is spotty and slow and connections (phone and net) are not available in the dining room, lounge and bar.

A few well placed changes would make this hotel exceptional.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent stay and review! I am glad to read that you enjoy our brand new guest rooms, Polo Steakhouse and Polo lounge. I am surprised to read that you had any trouble with our hot spots in the public areas of the hotel, I will be sure to address to our team. We look forward to seeing you on a future stay!
Massapequa, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great hotel for a girlfriends weekend getaway. The location was wonderful, near great shopping in town and the local mall as well as great dining in the area. The hotel's steakhouse is outstanding. Can't wait for the Red Door Spa to open, will definitely be back for more weekend getaways.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
JamessinaH, Guest Relations Manager at Garden City Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you Ann for your recent stay and review! We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed all we have to offer for your girls' weekend, especially our restaurant and proximity to Long Island's best shopping destinations! We look forward to seeing you on a future stay, and on your visit to our new Red Door Spa!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was the ideal hotel! My in-laws stayed at this hotel to watch my husband and I run the marathon. And when we went to meet up with them it was beautiful! The hotel is newly renovated and the staff we're really helpful!

• Stayed November 2014
Thank you for your recent review and congratulations on finishing the marathon! I am glad to read you are pleased with your in laws' stay with us and enjoyed our brand new guest rooms and revitalized public spaces. We look forward to seeing you and your family on a future stay.

Been to Garden City Hotel? Share your experiences!