“Agree with Mixed Opinions” 4 of 5 stars

Garden City Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 Seventh Street, Garden City, NY 11530   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Garden City
dallas
“Agree with Mixed Opinions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

First time to stay at this hotel. I loved the historical relevance and charm. So often hotels are just like cookie cutters - hard to tell one from the other. The refurb rooms are very nice. The rest of the hotel was still undergoing rennovations so wasn't able to venture far. Did eat in Polo. I can tell you it is ridiculously expensive and I found the food and menu average. The hotel would be wise to reevaluate their pricing. I will most likely stay here again (convenient to my HQ) but would be hard press to dine at Polo. The hotel needs to offer an alternative (lower cost) option and include more standard/basic food choices on the menu. As with other reviewer, I agree wifi services need looking into. Finally, I had to wait a little excessively for check in. There was one front desk person who was tending to a customer that was taking considerable time. What frustrated me was the GM or Manager and several of hotel employees where just standing around in the lobby oblivious to the growing line. I gave this hotel a 4 because of the charm. But given the food prices, rennovation and lack of covered outdoor space it's really a 3.5.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Finnish first
West Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Having stayed at the Garden City years ago, I always remembered it as the premier property in the area and for its central location. Had heard it had undergone a major refurbishment so decided to give it another try. At first glance, I was happy to return. However, I was in town for business and needed to get some work done but that was impossible! At first, the wi-fi service was slow then it was non existent! Staff was incredibly patient and understanding and went out of their way to try to overcompensate with all sorts of concessions to appease me. The frustration of not having internet connectivity was maddening. The last night, their IT person did manage to set me up on a new network that did work but it was too late. Apparently, in the refurb process, this was the last project on the list (seriously??) and it was due to be up and running by the end of November.
Beyond this "blip on the radar screen", the staff throughout the hotel were incredibly gracious, outgoing, patient, somewhat empowered to recognize an "unhappy camper" and tried to make things right. That does go a long way in my book. The Polo restaurant was great both for food and service. Elevators were super fast which was nice and valet service was exceptionally prompt.
Guestrooms were extremely comfortable as well but they should provide bathrobes in the rooms for a hotel of this caliber.
Overall, if the internet issue is resolved, I would highly recommend the property for both leisure and business travelers.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
JamessinaH, Guest Relations Manager at Garden City Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for staying with us during your recent business travel. I am glad to read that you enjoyed our brand new guestrooms and restaurants, in particular the new Polo Steakhouse, as well as our first class service! Bathrobes are available upon request, we would be happy to bring one up to you during your next stay! We look forward to seeing you on a future stay.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed at the Garden City Hotel for three nights and had a terrible experience with their internet connection. We tried three different devices in the room and asked the hotel to send their technical person for assistance. They sent us an "engineer" and said he was a computer technician, but he was the same person who came up the night before to change out a light bulb in the room! We stayed for a scientific conference and several of the attendees also complained that the service in their rooms dropped constantly, as well. The manager at the front desk would offer no compensation (even though I didn't really want any, I just wanted my internet wifi connection to work). Very frustrating experience and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to conduct business on their computer during their stay.

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I have stayed at the Garden City Hotel on several occasions over the years and seen it improve steadily. In the past it might be considered a bit shabby, but the recent renovations have made this hotel my first choice on Long Island. The service is what you would expect in an upscale hotel, but the Garden City Hotel is value priced. The rooms are classic and spacious, and have been updated with renovated bathrooms and furnishings. The beds are very comfortable and the hotel is quiet. The aded bonus is that there is easy access to the City via the Long Island Railroad, which has a station right at the hotel.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent stay and review, I am glad to read you were thrilled with our brand new guest rooms and revitalization of all public spaces! I am also happy to read that our proximity and accessibility to NYC was of service to you! We look forward to seeing you again on a future stay!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The garden city hotel has been around since the 1870's. It's feel is more like A place for a wedding or a sweet-16 or a wedding rather that business use. There are only two elevators so you can wait a long, long time to go up or down to your room. On weekends the gift shop doesn't open until 8 am.

The Rooms have been recently repainted and the beds replaced but the bathrooms only have a tiny shelf so your cosmetics and shaving bag have to be left in the bedroom.

The staff is generally nice and the rooms are reasonably sized. However, this property is not up to the standards of the preferred hotel brand.

Room Tip: Second floor is where the meeting rooms are so it can be noisy there.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
JamessinaH, Guest Relations Manager at Garden City Hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you for your recent stay and review during your business travels. During your future business travels, please note that we offer complimentary coffee in the lobby from 6am-8am, newspapers upon request and have access to not only our Polo Lounge for early mornings but also a terrific selection of shops just a few blocks from the hotel on Seventh Street. Coming this winter, our brand new Red Door Spa, new fitness center and renovated indoor pool will reopen. I hope you will find our array of services to your liking on your next visit. Please do let us know if there is anything additional you may need during your next stay, we will do our very best to accommodate.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Enjoyed my birthday weekend at The Garden City Hotel. Friendly and attentive staff made the check in experience effortless. The newly renovated room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. Beautiful hotel, beautiful room, beautiful everthing. Highly recommend staying here

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay and review, happy birthday! Thank you for your accolades of our staff, I will be sure to relay our team. I am glad to read that you enjoyed our brand new guest rooms, thank you for the recommendation. We look forward to seeing you on a future stay!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Room was very clean and spaceouse, very comfortable bed. Room was great for the price, but what I loved most was the excellent customer service. Very helpful and fast.
will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2014
JamessinaH, Guest Relations Manager at Garden City Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your recent stay and review! I am glad to read that you enjoyed our brand new guest rooms, especially our Luxe Dreams mattress and bedding and gracious hospitality! We look forward to seeing you on a future stay.

Been to Garden City Hotel? Share your experiences!