“Excellent hotel - excellent location” 4 of 5 stars

Garden City Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 Seventh Street, Garden City, NY 11530   |
Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in Garden City
Belgium
“Excellent hotel - excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Great hotel, very friendly staff. Especially the bell boys at the entrance. Always available for info and tips.
Room was more than ok, spacious bathroom, complimentary coffee maker, complimentary WiFi, etc. ..
Hotel is located in Garden City, Long Island. The LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) station is just across the street and will bring you to Manhattan (Penn Station) in about 45 to 60 minutes. It is not a direct connection, though and you will have to transfer at Jamaica station.
Jamaica station is also the final stop for the JFK air train. Count 45 minutes to get from the hotel to the nearest terminal at JFK.
You may think this is a lot, but I can guarantee you will be happy to be in a luxurious hotel, away from the crowd in a very lovely neighbourhood. As an extra tip, I recommend you take the hotel bikes and bike away in the streets around the hotel. Very lovely Long Island-style houses, very clean, etc. ..

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We are from L.I. , very experienced travelers, and now living in Austin, Texas. Hands down, we feel that the GC hotel is the best place to stay on Long Island ... for many reasons. 1) Location: If you want to visit NYC but not always be in NYC or deal with the noise and parking expenses of NYC .... then the LIRR station that is so near (but not near enough to be a problem with noise) the hotel is just wonderful; also ... the GC Hotel is walking distance to some very good restaurants and excellent shopping . 2) Ambiance: There is a certain aura about the GC hotel. It is not "old" .. but has classic styling and a solid, stately feel about it. It is hard to put into words .. but the feeling starts as soon as you look at the beautiful landscaping, and entrance and professional bell hops/valet staff who are ALWAYS there to greet you; then it continues upon entering the lobby and being surrounded with all of the extra frills of a high quality hotel. Everything from the floor to the walls to the lights to the carpet to the furniture to the hardware on the doors .... etc etc etc ... you know what I am saying, don't you ? 3)Parking: free and plentiful 4) Quality of bedding (we left our Vdara Pillows in the car and just used the GC pillows because they were just as good) .

Is the GC hotel inexpensive ? No . Is it worth the extra money ? We think so. Whether you are going for business, romance, or a family trip ... the GC hotel fits all of those reasons. You can easily appreciate the reason why the GC hotel costs more than a standard chain hotel.

Don't I have anything negative to say ? Well, yes and no. The construction is continuing in the lower level at this time and the pool and gym are not open there. There is a temporary gym set up in a room on the PH level. Not having a pool available could really put some people off; especially if you were looking forwards to that when you booked. Hopefully the hotel will make it up to you in some other manner It would have been a really neat touch if arrangements had been made for the use of a pool somewhere else, with shuttle service ... but that is really much easier said than done, and it still would not satisfy many people. The construction in the lower level will be completed in another couple of months ... and we can't wait to see how it all comes out. In fact we will be returned there in September and if it is completed then, we will write a new review.

BTW: I should mention that many airlines use this hotel for layovers for their staff, so even though it is not next to an airport I indicated that it is good for airport access because it is practically in between the JFK and LaGuardia airports.

I indicated that the hotel is good for museums because there is the cradle of aviation museum nearby and several other museums in Nassau County. If you want to hop a train into Manhattan, then the world is your oyster when it comes to museums.

Room Tip: We always like rooms on high floors, away from vending, away from elevators, and away from ice machi...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
JamessinaH, Guest Relations Manager at Garden City Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your recent stay and glowing review! I am thrilled to read your review of our location, ambiance and overall hospitality. The guest experience is our number one concern, and I am happy to hear your expectations have been exceeded. We are in the final phase of our construction- and this will include a 7,000 sq ft world class spa, indoor salt water swimming pool and fitness center.

We look forward to seeing you on a future stay, and thank you again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel has beautiful charm it has a classic style unmatched. But it's beautiful decor is not what makes it special. It is the wonderful employees like Gabrielle at the front desk that make the experience magical. Gabrielle was so extremely helpful when we visited to celebrate my wife's first mothers day. We booked the reservation online and it didn't match what we wanted. Well Gabrielle went above and beyond to accommodate our needs. She made that day special and will remain in our hearts forever. Thank you so much. #GCHmemories

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent stay and review, and for the accolades of our staff! I will be sure to relay this review to them. We pride ourselves on offering first class service and gracious hospitality to all guests, and I am glad to read that we exceeded your expectations. Thank you, and we look forward to seeing you on a future stay.
South Florida, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We have stayed at the Garden City hotel many times and most times have enjoyed our stay . On this stay we were on the 7 the floor and had a great view. A few weeks ago we stayed on the 3 rd floor and mostly had a view of a roof top and could hear the sound from the club below. The hotel has been going through renovations over the past year and the rooms we stayed in were the new rooms which were nice with white subway tile in the bathroom. Not my preferred look but it is clean looking. I think the hotel was sold again since I entered a review after last summers stay and it is gone. Since our last review is no longer shown, we would like to thank Johnny Boone a manager for his help on one of our stays last summer.
For people that are not aware of the area ,the village of Garden City is a short walk up the street to the left of the hotel and offers many great eating, drinking and shopping establishments. Across the street from the hotel is a Long Island Rail Road station that has many trains into NYC.
We recommend staying at this hotel and look forward to seeing the completion of the renovations.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you Bob, for your recent review and stay. Thank you for your accolades of our staff, I will be sure to share with them.
As for the reviews, we recently underwent a total renovation of our guest rooms and suites, therefore reviews prior to that renovation and ownership are no longer published for the hotel. I am glad to read that our location pleases you and thank you for the recommendation.
Garden City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed in a newly renovated suite in the G.C. Hotel on July 5th and was disappointed with our room.
Here are the facts.
1 I cut my foot on carpet tracts which were sticking up through the carpet .

2 The Bathroom area was missing a vanity table and shelves for towels

3 They provided one bathrobe instead of two.

4 The room did not have a clothing closet instead there was a cut out in the

bathroom wall exposed (without a door ) with a hanger bar four feet

from the floor. My wife could not hang her dress .

5. In the kitchen area paper towels were not provided

The highlight of my stay was the staff. They were well trained, and keenly

focused on customer service

Sincerely Chris D

Room Tip: Ask the front desk to see the room you want to stay in
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Queens, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

For the money you pay, this hotel is definitely not worth it. You can't order room service after 11pm. They do have a snack menu available from 11pm until 6am. We called at 11:47pm and was told there was no food! Definitely not good service. We were starving and was told they had no food. What a disgrace.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
JamessinaH, Guest Relations Manager at Garden City Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Hello Anne~ Thank you for your recent stay and review. I am sorry to read that our 'Late Night' menu, beginning at 11pm through 6am, was not to your satisfaction. This menu includes Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail, Classic Caesar Salad, Roast Turkey Wrap, Artisan Green Salad, Imported and Domestic Cheese plate with grapes, honeycomb and crackers, Tri Colored Nachos with salsa and guacamole and Mediterranean Dips with Toasted Pita Chips. We look forward to seeing you on a future stay.
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a stunning hotel. I travel frequently for work, and typically I stay in less-than-amazing properties. This was a major exception. I am not sure how I got lucky enough to stay in this hotel, but I am glad I did.

The rooms have been completely renovated, and still smell like fresh paint and carpet. The bed was incredibly comfortable with plenty of pillows, a designated couch-area, and a wonderful full-length mirror. The a/c unit worked well, though the cover they placed on it made the machine a bit loud (I just slid the cover off when I went to bed).

The amenities seemed nice-a bit expensive for the restaurant and breakfast service. Also, the pool and gym were still under renovation-but if you ask at the front desk they will direct you to the NYC Sports Club that is about two blocks away, which is a fully staffed and functioning gym (think Planet Fitness with more free-weights).

Outside of the hotel the area is gorgeous, one of the most planned and established communities I have traveled too. Great food is only a walk away-I def. recommend checking out the local bars and pubs.

The only part of the experience that was not ideal was the "room-hold" put on my credit card. I always keep a separate card for travel, but in this situation I was charged $450 upon check-in, and then an amount that varied between $45 and $85 each additional night. It added up to be over $700 dollars for a hold...for five days! That was a bit extreme, but I was assured all of the charges would clear. I am just glad I keep it all on a separate card.

Room Tip: If you find the A/C Unit to be too loud-slide the wood cover off of it when you are ready to go to s...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Hello Greg, thank you for your recent stay and review. Thank you for your kind words, I am thrilled to read that our recent renovations, brand new guest rooms, amenities and proximity to our beautiful village and dining were to your liking. Thank you for your feedback on the room hold process, I will make mention at our next staff meeting. We look forward to your next stay with us, either on business or leisure travel!

Been to Garden City Hotel? Share your experiences!