“Overly designed and poor prep and quality night” 2 of 5 stars

Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Front Street
“Overly designed and poor prep and quality night”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

I've been to Rachel's a few times and enjoyed it with friends in the past few years and last night was possibly my last. My wife and I went to enjoy a Tuesday night, special night to us, meal and fell back on this previous favorite as much is seasonally closed in December on the Nautical Mile. The house wine was fine and my wife's mushroom soup was good, but mt house salad came with an overpowering, but tasty balsamic vinagrette. (It was a chilly night and the hot air heat was overwhelming when it would kick on a few minutes at a time. ) Anyway, the dinner menu is extremely over complicated. Haven't they seen Gordon Ramsey tell restauranteurs, "[--] simplify the menu and people will love it!" Instead, everything comes in weird combos sauces and vegetable medleys that made me only wish I could ask for the dish, but leave off three of the things on the plate!
But, adventurous fool that I am and hoping for a wonderful suprise, I went for something interesting. I ordered the tilapia with an Asian sauce. What I got was a half a hnadful of tilapia hidden under deep fried shoestring carrot and zuchini(?) and set atop chinese noodles in Asian sauce, and surrounded by three wontons with unidentifiable filling. After a few bites of the Tilapia, I told the waitress that it tasted like mold or mildew. She asked if I had ever had tilapia before (yes, several times) and told me that's what tilapia tastes like! And that as it's off season all their fish is fresher as it isn't stored. (Why make an excuse I didn't ask for?) She offered me something else but I didn't want to chance the next suprse, particularly as I saw my wife wasn't happy with her meal.
She had ordered as simply as she could. Broiled flounder with butter and lemon and mash potatoes. Sounds simple, right? The broiled flounder was pale as if it had been poached, not a hint of being under a broiler, and bits of it were not done at all. Then, the chef found it a nice idea to put it ON TOP of the pile of mashed potatoes! Who ever heard of that? Maybe on top of rice, maybe, but not on top of the potatoes! And...the potatoes were floating in the lemon, butter, and herb sauce the fish was to be in! At that point, I gave up and have given up!
This restaurant has a Zagat rated sign in the doorway, and was a favorite, and maybe it was partially the chef that night but the menu is overwrought with complications. I was not happy and will never return again.

Commack, New York
“Rachels has quality waterside dining for the right price...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

Rachels is one of my favorite places to eat on the mile. If your looking for an inexpensive waterside dining experience look no further. Fresh seafood, good sandwiches, salads, etc. you name it. The cons about this place is that it is closed on Mondays, restaurant seating/space is limited. It is the perfect place for an afternoon lunch with family and friends. Don't get stuck on a weekend night during it's seasonal peak.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The tuna nachos are to die for!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2008

The tuna nachos are to die for!!