“Splendid Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of White Inn

Save Saved
You added White Inn to your Saves list
White Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   52 East Main Street, Scenic Route 20, Fredonia, NY 14063-1836   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Fredonia B&B and Inns
Fort Myers, Florida
“Splendid Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I have stayed at the white inn on 2 different occasions and both times my stay was very pleasant. The building and most everything in it has an antique look to it that I really enjoy. You can walk to multiple different bars for a night out on the town as well.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Palisades
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Stayed here recently for a college reunion. While the bar was very well run our stay turned into a nightmare situation by the third day. We arrived late Thursday and by Saturday our room still had not been cleaned and was completely out of fresh towels and soap. Our requests each day fell on empty ears so by Saturday night we demanded we speak to the Manager. When he was put on the phone he was outraged at us and called us liars, saying that the room had in fact been cleaned. After trying in vain to explain this was not the case, he became belligerent and threatened to kill us. We were told by several of the staff that the owner/manager often reacts this way and that we should be careful. Upon hearing that we immediately called the police who quickly arrived. We thought this was a good thing until they told us regardless of the situation if the owner wants us removed from the premises we had to leave no matter who was right or wrong. So the police, who we called, watched as we packed our bags and left the hotel. Our only happy moment came when police officer did agree with us that the room was in fact in need of a cleaning. Several guests that we did not even know tried to plead with the police to have the manager come down and explain himself, however they were firmly denied. In summary, if you want a good drink and a nice conversation, go to the bar adjacent the lobby. If you want an overpriced room and a chance at having your life threatened by the owners, then this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Melanie G, Owner at White Inn, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Normally we would not respond to a review in this matter, however we feel the facts of this situation need to be stated. You arrived Thursday as stated in your review and checked into your room and had no complaints. You soon left with other guests and my staff did not see you again until later that night when you returned to the hotel and entered our lounge. My staff later informed me, after enjoying quite a few drinks at the lounge you eventually retired to your room. Friday morning our housekeeping staff went to service your room only to find the "Do not Disturb" sign on your door. Our housekeeping checked again in the afternoon before leaving for the day and the Sign was still on the door so we agree your room was not serviced on Friday. However, at no time did you call or come to the front desk for clean towels, etc... on Friday or complain about your room not being serviced. If you had, we would have informed you that like most hotels, if you leave the "Do not Disturb" sign on your door for most of the day, we will not "disturb" you and therefore you would not get serviced that day, however we will bring you fresh towel, etc... upon your request. Also, like most motels, we do not keep housekeeping staff on shift 24 hrs a day.

We didn't see or hear from you on Friday until our staff later told me you again patronized our lounge Friday night and once again after drinking several drinks, you went to to room after our lounge closed. On Saturday morning our housekeeping staff went to your room to service it and this time the "Do not Disturb" sign was not hung on your door, so they knocked on your door only to have someone (we assume you) tell my staff that they were still sleeping and that they did not want service. (We have housekeeping logs that we keep and this is all logged daily for our records.) Our manager reviews these logs at the end of each day. Noticing that your room was not serviced for two days in a row- she called up to your room and no one answered the call. She then informed the front desk staff before going home for the day that your room was a concern to her as we were unable to service it for two days, and if you called down or stopped by the front desk, to get you what you needed, but also to explain why your room was not cleaned as we would normally do.

The next time our staff heard from you was at 1:10 am Saturday night when you once again come back to the hotel and ordered drinks with your friends. You then decided to finally go to our front desk for the first time since checking in and proceeded to scream at her about your room not being serviced. She tried to explain to you why your room was not serviced and offered to bring fresh towels, etc. to your room for you only to have you continue the scream and inform her that she needs to go to your room and clean it at 1:30 am!! After you made a scene in the lobby and refused to calm down- Our staff called me at home at 1:30 in the morning to explain to me what was happening... I asked them to put you on the phone and that is when we first spoke. I also tried to explain to you why you were not serviced and you were very rude to me as well, (it was obvious you were intoxicated). You then proceeded to call me every name in the book. I then decided you were a problem, and a safety issue to my staff. I informed you that you needed to leave the property or I was calling the police if needed to have you removed from the building and that you are not welcome back. You then told me that I could not do that because you already paid for your room. You were wrong again. We do not accept this type of behavior. You then hung up on me and I called the police. The police were there in five minutes. By this time you were back in the lounge trying to finish your drink and you were removed by the police and escorted from the building. The police called me after they removed you from the property and told me they almost arrested you because you were getting "mouthy" with them, and they also stated that you were "highly drunk" and that they saw to it that you had a safe ride from someone you were with. I was concerned about that.

I wish you the best in your future as long as we are clear that you are no longer welcome at The White Inn- including our lounge.
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

I stayed at the White Inn when it was a funky inn, before the recent renovations. It's a lovely building now, and the evening check in staff were friendly and very helpful. Bed was hard as a plank... not firm, hard. Room was nice otherwise, and the shower was fine.

"Cold Continental" breakfast in the morning was a joke both days we were there. First day, no juice, but at least they did have coffee and a few baked goods plus a plate with an apple and a couple of oranges. I asked for hot tea water and received it in due time. But the second morning... juice was present, but watered down, and they ran out of coffee. No baked goods on the empty plate, no hot water for tea either. No utensils - though there wasn't anything to use a utensil for. The front desk gal was busy on her laptop, and when asked for something - like a glass for water, for example and napkins, she got one thing at a time, and not too quickly at that. The guests in the dining room made light of the situation, but each time we asked for stuff, it was a job to get it.

Not sure what's going on, but they fixed the place up, jacked the prices waaaay up high for a small town place, and don't really deliver all they say. Expensive for what it is.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Fredonia, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

We went to the White Inn for dinner on Valentines day. This was the first time we had been in since the restaurant has been under the new management. The Resturant is clean and spacious. We had reservations, but I believe that you would have had no problem getting seated with out them. There is plenty of seating available, but the hostess chose to set us less then arms length from another couple. I thought that a bit odd, but no real biggie for myself. Our waitress was prompt and friendly. The menu is short, but there are plenty of choices for everyone.

I ordered the Shrimp and Crab Linguini. The dish was just OK for me. I felt that the sauce tha tit came in was nothing more then a thin cream base. There was little outside flavor and it did not “stick” to the dish. The portion was generous and was definitely filling. My wife had the Crab stuffed Shrimp. In My opinion, that was the better of the two meals. It was flavorful and well portioned. The Twice Baked Potato was HOT. If I had to do it over again, I would have ordered a steak or the dish my wife had.

They had Live music by Gina V and Bill. This was a great touch.

This was a nice dinner, but not a place that I would see myself going on a regular basis. I will confess that I have not been to the Happy Hour specials that they have. From what I have heard, these are great deals and good food.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Chautauqua County, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

This is like stepping into another century. It is quiet, slow paced, and gracious. The staff is friendly and the food is excellent in the restaurant. Most of all it has authentic period furnishings but caters to modern guests who need internet hookup and wireless. The fireplaces are really comfortable places to gather with friends. This is a romantic getaway for couples who want a charming hideaway but also want to be part of the historic down town. Not good for families with little kids.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Denville, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

Having been to the White Inn many times, we were not hesitant to rely on this old chestnut yet again this weekend. My fourth neice is attending SUNY Fredonia and, over the years, my brother- and sister-in-law have made this hotel our home base, hosting dinners, meeting for cocktails, and booking multiple rooms for school events. We have all enjoyed the property and shown respect for the facilities because of our intent to return. However, a billing dispute this weekend was met with such a degree of obstinance and rudeness by the current management that I am certain we will not return. Management stopped just short of calling us liars. They showed no interest in mediating the dispute or even listening, frankly. Confused, I starting reading the reviews here to try to learn something, and I see that the new management has decided to run their new business into the ground by showcasing a complete lack of understanding of hospitality and customer service. I have to add that we all agreed that the slightly rundown facilities were fine because the place is being renovated, but in light of the poor treatment, the facilities' shortcoming have become less tolerable. To illustrate the problem with the management, I need only direct you to their responses to other negative reviews. They put their lack of interest in arriving at equitable solutions to disputes in writing, in sarcastic, unproductive, and disinterested responses. Their tone there says it all.,

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
fredonia,ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

stayed here for our 40th wedding anniversary.also was a car show and band up the street at the American Legion#59.we had a good meal on the porch.service was fine as was the room#251.good time,we'll be back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to White Inn? Share your experiences!