“Met expectations for an HIE but...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fort Montgomery
USA
“Met expectations for an HIE but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

Rooms were clean and in line for this type of hotel. Beds were only average, but we were able to get a good night's sleep. The best thing about this hotel was the location. However, I was disappointed that the chain would mark up the prices of the hotel so outrageously from their standard price and take advantage of West Point families or anyone one else. As usual, it just comes down to greed. I'd recommend this hotel if it weren't for the price versus value.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

My family and I recently stayed here for a wedding on post. The staff was friendly, the rooms were clean and the breakfast was good. The king suite was awesome and not too expensive. I liked that we had a separate sleeping area for us and the kids (and the having 2 TVs and a kitchenette were a plus, too). My kids loved the pool and I liked the fact that there was a changing room with a shower in the pool area. I was able to get the kids changed so they didn't drip through the lobby. Also, the fitness room was open at 5 am, so I was able to get a workout in before the kids got up. The whirlpool tub was awesome, too. I got to take a nice bath after my workouts!! My husband took advantage of the business center. He had no issues with sending and receiving faxes or the wi-fi. Overall the place is super!! If we ever need to go to West Point again, we will definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Cleveland, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2008

As others have said, the hotel is very convenient for those attending events at West Point - the United States Military Academy. Our room was very spacious and comfortable with a single King Sized Bed. We were located directly across from the laundry room so it got a little noisey in the morning. Otherwise, everything was nice.

Breakfast was provided but it was pretty bland and I'm not sure how to describe the eggs except to say I wouldn't reach for them a second time!

We would definately stay there again - if only we could get a room! This hotel is among the first to fill-up for the big event weekends so if you want to stay there for a West Point event, be prepared to book as far in advance as they will let you!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The eggs!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
West Chester, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

Stayed at HIE on a visit to West Point Military Academy. Hotel was easy to find and located about 5 mins from the Academy. Staff was friendly and helpful, room was spacious, pool was nice and breakfast was well appointed. We would stay there again without hesitation. For dinner, there are several restaurants just outside the gates of West Point. We ate at a place with good Italian as well as other items..Schade's I believe it was. Enjoy

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2008

Went tp West Point for a wedding second week of May 2008. We spent some time in advance on the hotels available. Holiday Inn Express in Fort Montgomery is just down the road from West Point. It was almost $80. a night cheaper than the Thayer Hotel (which is just located inside the west point gates) Holiday Inn Express has a free breckfast bar, with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, bagels, toast, and all the things that go with them. FREE. Thayer has a lovely restaurant
$$$$$. Rooms at the Holiday Inn Express were at least 1 1/2 times larger than the Thayer. Lovely Indoor pool at the Holiday Inn. I had a handicapped accessible room on the first floor of the hotel, it was great, large, beds were very very comfortable. Hotel employees were very pleasant, the Lounge area, where there are many chairs and couches to watch TV and eat the free breckfast was perfect for our party of 10 rooms. Grounds are clean, view is unbelievable, with all the foliage and trees.
Yes, Thayer is old world chic, however, unless you want to blow all your money on a tiny room, try the Holiday Inn Express.
We will again.
If you are invited to a West Point Wedding, GO, the chapel has a 220 feet aisle and is charming.

Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

We like to stay here when visiting our son at West Point because it is the newest hotel in the area and cleaner and nicer than any of the others.
When we arrived in our non-smoking room I walked into the restroom and said to my husband that someone had been smoking in there. I told them at the front desk and they were willing to move us to another room but there wasn't one available.
The strange thing was that sometimes it smelled more like cigarettes than others. I came to the conclusion that it must be coming from the vent in the bathroom that was in the shower. There is no exhaust fan but just a passive louvered vent that's purpose must be to vent the steam out. But in this room, the air actually came in. My husband got up close to it and could feel the air coming in. I went to the front desk again and told them. They confirmed that the floor above us was the smoking floor and the room directly above us was occupied. We were going out at the time but I told the woman at the desk she should go up and smell it. I checked the next day and was told that she did go up, did smell it, but......
My husband decided to take matters into his own hands and got a washcloth, shoved it into the louvers to block the flow of air. That did the trick. no more smell. I did get a slight hint the next morning when showering but nothing like before.
I told them at the front desk what we did and the girl did make a note to have the maintenance man check it the next day but if there was no one smoking in the other room they wouldn't get the smell.
I deiced I should leave a review to warn other travelers about Room 207 at this hotel. Picture of our remedy attached in case you ever do get stuck in it!

• Liked — Clean, has nice breakfast, proximity to West Point
  • Disliked — smoke smell came into our non smoking room through the vent in the bathroom
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Jersey Shore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

From what I can tell, this is the only chain hotel in the West Point area, except for a rough looking Econolodge. This place is only 6 years old and is very nice. The rooms are spacious and clean. The bath towels were attractively displayed in the bathroom. We had a 'Jr Suite' which had a king and sofabed. The bathroom is spacious. There was a mini-kitchen with a sink, mini-fridge and microwave. The pool was much larger than I expected with ample chaise lounges and chairs. Could have used small tables as well. The breakfast was pretty good, little omlettes, scrambed eggs and bacon. Plenty of bagels, toast, etc. We ate at a local restaurant, Richie's Little Place, just down the road on 9W. It was very good, ample portions. My husband had a prime rib (avail on Thurs and Fridays) which was quite large, I had shrimp scampi. good sized shrimp, very tasty. Our son had chicken and ribs which was a large portion as well. Overall a good visit.

• Liked — clean, friendly staff, pool
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Point? Share your experiences!