“Jamaica Avenue is Better” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #63 of 162 Restaurants in Forest Hills
Cuisines: American
New York, New York, United States
“Jamaica Avenue is Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Parking is horrible in this area.

The drinks are watered down.

The only good value is happy hour appetizers and happy hour drinks.

The appetizers are finger food but they are better than the regular entrées.

The service is slow and usually the waitresses aren't concerned with getting to you quickly.

This restaurant would be a lot better if all of the waitresses and waiters got their own tips instead of splitting them.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Walked in and Walked out”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

First, I would like to say that I do not know what happened. It used to be good service and nicve wait staff. Now here is my experience.

- First as i walked in I was welcomed nicely. but that is just as i walked in the resturant. When I was at my table. I asked the waitress for the ( give me more strips and a coupon ) she said out of her ignorance that you need a print out. Then I ask the waitress ( his nevered happened before and what happened. ) With an attitude and disrespecfully gave me a rude reply. She also said that she worked there 4 months. LOL WOOOW. Why do she have the job With That type of Attitude. Maybe because she worked there 4 months. So as a result I peacfully left the Business and That was it. Not coming here agian if I have to see that waitress again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rego Park, New York, United States
“fantabulous fridays”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

atmosphere for the party people nice and noisy, food excellent, from burgers to salads to appetizers never had anything that I didn't enjoy. prices not cheap but affordable, cocktails are lucious

Visited February 2013
Forest Hills, New York
“Probably the best TGIF in NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I had lunch here with my wife and her friend Lily.

Our lunch didn't start out on the best foot as, when our waitress introduced herself by name, I responded with: "My name is Jamie; this is my wife Karen; and this is my girlfriend Lily. We share a..." - I was about to say "king size bed on the other side of Queens Boulevard", when I felt a kick to my shin. Lily was smiling but my wife was glaring at me. (It was only a joke!)

Lily and I had the $15.99 prix fixe (choice of an appetizer and main course). I ordered the pot stickers as appetizer and Lily had the BBQ Chicken Flatbread. My main course selection was the 6 onze sirloin. Lily had the "Dragonfire Salmon" that is glazed in a Kung Pao sauce. Karen just had the Dragonfire Salmon, even though she could have had an appetizer for just $2.50 more by getting the prix fixe.

I had Bud Light to drink and Lily had a glass of wine. My wife only wanted water to drink, dashing my hopes that I might get her and Lily drunk at the same time - the only way my "joke" in the second paragraph above might become a reality.

The pot stickers are my favorite TGIF appetizer. You get six Chinese-style dumplings that taste exquisite when dipped in the sauce that comes with them. My steak dish came with a choice of two sides and I chose fries and cole slaw. It was good, although it is one of the more boring items on TGIF’s menu and I enjoyed my pot stickers more.

I was the only one to order dessert and I tried a new item, the Whiskey Cake: Toffee cake with pecans, ice cream and Jack Daniel’s whiskey sauce. It was really delicious!

When eating here, the booths are best. If you're on the tall side (as I am), it is best to avoid the tables in the front section as they are a bit low to the ground.

Although the service was fast and courteous during this visit, this is a big place with many waiters and waitresses, so service can vary depending on who you get. The alcohol menu does not show prices, so make sure you ask "how much" before ordering from it.

All in all, great tasting food in a fun atmosphere at a good price.

[Note that Manhattan TGIF's don't usually have the same deals. They are usually more expensive and the food isn't as good because 1) they have higher operating costs; and 2) they mostly cater to tourists and so they don't care as much if they get repeat business.]

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Corona, New York
“I like it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I have eaten here several times and liked everything I've had. It gets crowded on the weekends and the waiting area is kind of small. Lots of folks choose to eat at the bar. They also have some TV's which are usually tuned to some sporting event. Good prices and good service.

Visited May 2012