“Not your typical Airport Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #5 of 14 hotels in Flushing
Fremont, California
“Not your typical Airport Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed here for a one night on a business trip. All hotels were booked due to hurricane sandy so this was the only one where we could find a room. As others have remarked, this is in the heart of chinatown, though only a few minutes from Laguardia and Citifield. Bustling neighborhood and steps away from numerous restaurants, shopping etc. Dinner at the hotel restaurant was very good (asian food) and priced reasonably. Check in and check out were smooth, the staff was very courteous and helpful. rooms were dated and somewhat average, bathrooms were small and amenities were adequate. Rates were on the higher side partly due to New York and partly due to hurricane sandy driven demand. Nothing memorable about this hotel, very conveniently located and the sort of place your wouldn't mind crashing for the night when you are traveling on a business trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to minimze street noise
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hotel_GM72, General Manager at Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear GSs,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate you, especially with all of the challenges “Sandy” caused in NYC. I am also happy that our team made you feel comfortable and that you would stay here again in the future.

We look forward to having you stay with us again.

212 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
New York City, New York, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights at this property because I live in lower Manhattan and we lost power and water during Sandy. My driver's license is expired (I rarely drive) and it's what I carry as ID in my wallet at all times. While packing for my escape from Manhattan, I didn't think to pack my passport, which is current, as ID. The reservationist never told me they'd need an unexpired form of ID upon checkin. Having spent $40 on a cab to Flushing (all subways and buses were shut down), I arrived to find out that I couldn't check in because my license was expired. I explained to the clerk that I had just come from Manhattan, $40 cab ride, etc. She was unmoved. She left to speak with her manager. The manager never came out. The clerk refused to take my license. In the middle of a storm, I was dumbfounded. This was an extraordinary circumstance and these people made absolutely no effort to figure out a solution. After some back and forth, I remembered that my elderly mother might have her license on her. She did and it wasn't expired. They changed the reservation to her name and we checked in. Unbelievable.

As if that wasn't enough, they didn't have internet. During a storm, I understand that could happen. But when I asked if that was just the hotel or the whole area, the clerk said she didn't know. Later I asked someone else. Again, "I don't know," was the answer. It would be nice, at $299 a night, to get some answers. Even if they didn't have an ETA, to have some information, like whether it was the entire area or not, isn't asking too much. Also, some reassurance would have been nice -- say something like, people were working on it and they hoped to get it up as quickly as possible.

The morning I checked out, front desk told me internet was back. I told her that I had no internet during my stay. There was no offer to discount my bill, coupon, nothing.

Now some positives: the nice housekeeping ladies who gave me shampoo because my room came with none, and offered extra soap and towels. They are also for the nice staff in the restaurant where we had a breakfast buffet (food wasn't great, but surprisingly fairly priced for a hotel), and the nice lobby.

I lived in Flushing for 6 years and this Sheraton is the best hotel (read: not seedy) in the Roosevelt/Main area. It was nice to see they refurbished the rooms and public space. The rooms are basic - clean and comfortable but efficient, with a large writing desk, no minibar, and just the basic amenities. There was a vending machine at the end of the hall for just some soda and water - no price gouging, just $2 a bottle which is fair for a hotel. I just wish the front desk staff was more understanding of my situation. Management should make it a policy for staff not to answer guest questions with just an "I don't know."

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near elevators. Ours was directly in front of them and the noise was endless...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hotel_GM72, General Manager at Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Dgfvsxz,

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns, While I am happy to hear that you were satisfied with your accommodations, our property and our décor I am quite concerned with the challenges you experienced upon check in. I agree that one has to have understanding and compassion, especially during a critical period such as hurricane Sandy. It is disappointing that you did not experience that. I also agree that answering any questions with an “I don’t know” is not acceptable. I apologize for the way your check in was handled and that you were not properly informed of our internet issues. To clarify that point, due to the storm a lot of our area of queens lost internet due to our provider’s central station took on water. We did not have any ETA of when it may be restored but you could have a least been informed that the issue was not specific to our property rather our area and it was being worked on.

We pride ourselves on delivering a high level of service and it is unfortunate that is not what you experienced. I would like to discuss further with you the challenges you encountered to get more details. Please contact me, at your convenience, at hotelmanager@sheratonlaguardia.com. Please provide me your contact information and when would be the best time to reach you. I look forward to hearing from you.

New Haven, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I am a Northeast frequent business traveler. I have not been to Queens in years so staying in Flushing recently was a bit of an eye opener. Queens has really changed. This hotel is decent but in a very noisy and congested location- not a great area. I suppose the proximity to Manhattan is a plus but I had to do business in Queens so that was not a plus for me. Restaurant choices are very limited and I wouldn't suggest walking around, especially if you are a woman traveling alone. All the restaurant choices are Asian so if you like that, you're in luck. My coworker and I drove out to Great Neck and Port Washington and found some good places to eat on the water with nice views. This hotel was quite expensive so I was expecting something a little nicer. I have found nicer hotels in Manhattan for less money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hotel_GM72, General Manager at Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Mlp417,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. While I am glad that you were satisfied with your accommodations it is disappointing to hear that you were less satisfied with our location. It is true that Queens has evolved quite a bit over the last several years and where we are, in particular, has become very populated and vibrant. It is unfortunate that you did not feel comfortable with our surroundings; however I am happy to hear that you were able to explore one of the many nearby neighborhoods that offer many alternative choices of cuisine and ambiance.

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My husband and his family stayed here for 3 nights to attend a family wedding in early October. We arrived at La Guardia around 11:30am and waited for the hotel shuttle to pick us up. It took almost 45 minutes for it to come. But the driver was very courteous and friendly. Upon arrival I realized this isn't like a regular Sheraton but it's so convenient since it's located in the heart of chinatown(with scrumptious eats & subway stations). Check-in was breezy. The lobby was small (this is New York) but clean and decor was Asian. Our room was up on the 12th floor facing 39th. We had double room....clean, bed was comfy, pillows ok, bathroom good size, good towels. We slept soundly every night...didn't hear any noise above or next door, except in the morning when people used the shower. I appreciate the complimentary Starbucks coffee & bottle water & the daily Chinese newspapers. The only inconvenience was no free wi-fi....Check-out was breezy as well. The shuttle was prompt and driver was again friendly. Overall, thank you, Sheraton. We really loved New York. We will definitely stay here again when we return to Flushing

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Hotelbum,

What a wonderful review, Thank You. It is always great to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay and that you would definitely stay here again on your next visit to our area. On note, we do provide complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the property and I apologize if you were not able to connect while you were here. I will forward this information onto my engineering department to monitor.

We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.

Ed S.

P.S. Love your Signature Name )
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Beautiful hotel. Well-connected to la guardia via NYC buses and free hotel shuttle. And most importantly, close to the 7 train to manhattan! Can sometimes be too pricey for flushing, though. It is close to train but the train ride into manhattan is very long.

• Stayed October 2012
Hotel_GM72, General Manager at Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Shekaphale,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our property and location. I agree that the local number 7 train into Manhattan can be a little slow at times. The trick is to catch the express trains that are designated with a diamond symbol lit around the train number on each train. They skip many of the stops and shorten the trip by at least 20 minutes. The other alternative is the Long Island Railroad (1 ½ blocks from hotel) which takes 25 minutes to get into Manhattan’s Penn Station on 34th Street and 7th Ave. The cost is a little more per person but it is a quicker ride. I hope this travel info is helpful for any future visits.

I look forward to having you stay with us again.

Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Noisy...remember those cheap cardboard walls that you could hear a hiccup from? Well, this is the Sheraton La Guardia. Asking for a non smoking room and getting into a smelly environment? This is your place (we had to change rooms). Free wifi? Get ready to wait for a very slow connection. And the price? 339$!!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel_GM72, General Manager at Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear FoxM64,

I am sorry to hear that you were less than satisfied with your recent visit to our property. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and your feedback will be most helpful as we continually strive to improve our service.

Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I stayed at the Sheraton with a friend for 2 nights during the US Open. They were unbelievably friendly & accomodating!
They kept the hotel bar open late for those coming in from the Open.
They recommended 24 hour Chinese delivery for midnight cravings.
They searched frantically & recovered my lost wallet (with all cash, cards & other items still inside).
Their airport shuttle was prompt & friendly. (They even covered the cost of a car when the shuttle was too full for everyone headed to the airport.)
They had a shuttle to The Open as well, but Flushing Meadows was only 1 subway stop away so we traveled by subway.
The rooms were neat, clean and updated.
We had a small lobby on our floor with a great breakfast each morning, as well as a computer and printer available for use.
They A/C problems the morning we checked out, but they had someone in our room and the problem fixed within 5 minutes of calling the front desk.
It was an all around great stay, and I'll never stay anywhere else when coming to town for The Open.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Mmaegan,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. The US open is such a great time to be in Queens and I am glad that we were able to add to that experience. I am happy to hear that your interactions with our associates were engaging and that we were able to assist you in finding your lost wallet. Thank you for selecting our hotel as your primary choice when in town and we look forward to having you stay with us again for next year’s US Open.

Ed S.

Been to Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel? Share your experiences!