“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Although we only had a short stay overnight the hotel was fine. Check in was very quick and efficient. The room was clean and tidy. We didn't eat at the hotel as we had an early flight. We used their free shuttle to go to the airport in the morning

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hotel_GM72, General Manager at Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Jgzjkiwis,

Thank you for writing a review and posting it on TripAdvisor. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your accommodations and our services. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.

Ed S.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

The location is perfect in the middle of Chinatown with numerous restaurants including ones that open 24 hrs ( red bowl restaurant which has cheap and good dinner albeit passable breakfast buffet). The room was fairly large with spacious bathroom. A good deal with cash and point with SPG. The facility is nice and the hotel is near subway #7. Unfortunately, the subway train was down that day and I couldn't find a taxi. Therefore, I walk back to the hotel but there was no taxi stand either do I ask one of the hotel staff to call a cab. Instead of a meter taxi , I got a private car that charge $50 plus tip compare to what should have been about half is that price. Jus make sure that you specify metered taxi if you ask them to call a cab for you. But since it is located next to subway it is actually faster to get to Times Square by subway ( it took us about 50 min by taxi with Saturday morning traffic by cab).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hotel_GM72, General Manager at Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear PP2603,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel and I am glad that you enjoyed our hotel and the surrounding neighborhood. I would agree that a private car service is not the quickest or least expensive way to travel to Manhattan. Unfortunately in NYC there is no number to call for a metered taxi. You have to hail one down as they pass. Since we are not in Midtown they do not pass nearly as often as they would if you were in Midtown Manhattan. That is why a car service is our only choice where we can call and assure a car will arrive as expected. As you mentioned close by is the #7 subway (½ block away) which gets you into midtown in about 45 minutes for $2.25 each way. Another option is the Long Island Railroad which is 1.5 blocks away and gets you into midtown in 25 minutes for $9.00 each way.

I look forward to having you stay with again in the near future.

Croydon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Rather worringly the taxi driver didn;t know where the hotel was and it was quite a drive from the airport. At best this is an average hotel. As it is in the middle of Chinatown the oriental influence is everywhere and somewhat overpowering. For a european platinum member the lounge was extremely disappointing, used as we, in Europe, to free alcohol. Breakfast was very disappointing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel_GM72, General Manager at Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Travel_Duck_UK,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear that you had a challenging ride from the airport to our property. Although we are not directly across from the airport we are only three miles away and taxi drivers usually do not have any problems locating us. Your comments regarding the lounge and breakfast will be quite helpful as I review our Executive Lounge services with our team.

Thank you for your loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest Program and I hope you will give us another opportunity to have you as our guest again in the future.

Ed.S
Wichita
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Granted, this hotel is in the "new Chinatown" district, where everything in the neighborhood resembles Beijing of the 1950's, but still, this is a supposed to be a "Sheraton" hotel. The hotel is dirty, the hallway carpet is a patchwork of various different carpet patterns. I really hate to slam anywhere that I go, but really, stay somewhere else. Besides, this hotel is too expensive.

Don't eat the breakfast. To say that it is dog doo, might be insulting the dog. Eat the McDonalds breakfast around the corner. No, just don't stay there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hotel_GM72, General Manager at Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Gingyi1,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet the expectations that previous Sheraton Hotels have provided you. All reviews, both the good and the not so good are viewed as opportunities where we can review what we are doing well and where we need to focus more attention on. I would love the chance to speak to you about your stay to get more details so I may take that information back to my team to review. Please contact me at hotelmanager@sheratonalguardia.com. Please provide me your contact information and the best time I may reach you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Ed.S
Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Being a Starwood Lifetime Gold member, I was eager to stay at this property. Having stayed in the area about 50 room nights so far this year and looking at another 50 or so for the balance of this year and at least 100 next year, I was looking forward to making this my go-to hotel. To say I was disappointed would be a enormous understatement.
Although I found the front desk staff to friendly and welcoming, the other areas of the hotel leave much to be desired.  The hotel markets itself as being smoke-free but the rooms (yes, I stayed here twice) reeked of stale cigarette odor.  If it is a leftover of the days when the hotel had smoking rooms, they did not do a very good job in sanitizing the room, furnishing and carpet. The smell is very apparent upon entering the rooms.
As another review commented, the air conditioning units are are very noisy and cycle on and off through the night. If you are a light sleeper, bring earplugs! The bathrooms are tiny and you are forced to open and close the door just to get into the tub for a shower (I like to leave the door open so that the bathroom mirror won't fog up but it is not possible here). Also, the toilet did not flush properly.
The restaurant food was good and the service attentive but if you're looking for something casual and/or reasonable priced, forget about it.  Also, the hotel does not have a gift shop for incidentals and snacks.
However, the one thing that was inferior and dooms the hotel as far as I am concerned is the parking situation.  Due to limited space, you must valet your car in the garage.  This causes problems because the hotel also hosts a lot of events, in which the attendees also valet their cars. This leads to delays both in arriving and departing the hotel. The valet staff are not very friendly and are sorely lacking in customer service skills. They do not seem to realize that their services are not a luxury demanded by the guests but a necessity due to the hotel's limitations.  My experience last week was typical...despite no one else waiting to retrieve their car, the valet parked three incoming vehicles before retrieving mine. Upon exiting my car, he did not unlock the car so i could stow my luggage.  His attitude was abhorent.  Needless to say, the tip I had ready to give to him stayed in my pocket.
I'm sad to say that this hotel fails on many levels and I will not stay there again nor will I recommend it to anyone else.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hotel_GM72, General Manager at Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear JMMcCauley,

Thank for taking the time to review our hotel and for your loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest Program. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future.

I am quite concerned with the number of challenges you encountered and I welcome the opportunity to speak with you in more detail so I may address the specifics with my team to prevent similar issues from reoccurring. Please contact me at hotelmanager@sheratonlaguardia.com. Please leave your contact information and the best time which I may reach you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Wolcott
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

This is my second visit to Sheraton LaGuardia East in Flushing, NY. I was there last year and it was Excellent. This year it was Excellent. The Staff Retention is... in the fact that my Bell man(luggage to room), My Front Desk Person, and Many of the Same Personal in the Underground Parking Garage are the same Professional Who took care of me in August of 2011.
This Hotel is very well maintained. I moved up from the 7th floor to the 15th floor and the quality and cleanliness were still evident. No Smudges on the Windows, Mirrors, TV, Phone, TV Remote, and Back of Doors. The Sheraton LaGuardia East show they care! The Employees show they care. This Hotel is in easy walking distance to many Restaurants, Stores, Mall, China Town. Please try this Hotel out!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hotel_GM72, General Manager at Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Shorethinglo,

Thank you for coming back and staying with us again and for sharing your feedback about your stay. I am happy that we were able to meet your expectations and delivery another positive experience. I am even more thrilled that you notice how much our team cares about what they do. They are a passionate team and they take a lot of pride in delivering the best of services. This review validates that their efforts are notice and appreciated which I am sure will put smiles on all of their faces.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the Flushing area.

Southfield, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

What a wonderful surprise! From the moment we were welcomed when we boarded the shuttle to check out it was a wonderful experience. We had not expected much from the reviews we had read. But the Flushing Sheraton was first class. Nothing was too much to ask of the staff. The shuttle driver was friendly, as we neared the hotel he told us about the area surrounding the hotel. When we entered the hotel we were greeted with a smile and welcome to the hotel. The room was well appointed and clean. You are near LGA airport, but you do not hear the noise from the incoming planes. We had a view of the river and landing strip. When we checked out we were thanked for our business and ask to come back when we returned to NYC. The door person called for a taxi for us, but it was going to be a while before the taxi would arrive. The hotel made sure we got to JFK in time for our international flight. We will return to the Flushing Sheraton the next time we visit NYC. The neighborhood was called the second Chinatown of New York. We did not find this a problem. The area was clean, when you consider it is NYC. We had a nice dinner at a restaurant with original Chinese food, which was good. We felt safe and did not have any problems.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel_GM72, General Manager at Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Dear Johnlh,

Thank you for such a wonderful review. It always makes me feel good when I hear that all of our team’s efforts created an experience that left a positive lasting impression like what you mentioned in your comments. I look forward to sharing this with them. I am also glad that you enjoyed our surroundings and when combined with our accommodations and team you would stay with us again. We welcome the opportunity to be of service to you again in the future.

Ed S.

Been to Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel? Share your experiences!