“New hotel!” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“New hotel!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We decided to book 2 rooms at this hotel because of the generous discount that Hyatt gives to travel agents, its proximity to the LGA and the subway station. I trust the Tripadvisor members for the worthy reviews so I wasn't expecting the best upon checking in at this new hotel.

Shuttle service - Free airport shuttle to the LGA. The pick up from the airport was quite a mess as we have to call the hotel and wait more than 30 minutes for the shuttle to arrive. The shuttle staff was courteous and apologetic for the long wait, due apparently to the bad traffic at that time after the thunderstorm. The shuttle vehicle is new so no complains. Drop-off to the airport was seamless and the staff was also friendly and courteous. We accidentally left a Macy's shopping bag by the lobby. The shuttle staff found it even before we realized that we left something. Thanks for this!

Check-in & Check-out - No problem with checking in as it was almost midnight. Staff was friendly. When we checked in for the 2nd room a day after, we requested for a connecting room. The front desk staff took time to accommodate our request and even moved us from our old room so we can have connecting rooms. On the check-out day, I called front desk for an express check-out but I was told to come down to check out. Not a big problem but was quite unusual for hotels nowadays.

Staff - I think this hotel's management is looking into the recent Tripadvisor bad reviews so I noticed that all staff members were alerted to be extra nice to the guests. There is just one Chinese ( I guess most of them are of this origin) gentleman by the front desk that looked stoic with a fake smile that didn't seem to mind me while I was asking something so I turned to the other younger Chinese guy instead. From his body movements, I would think that he is the front desk manager and if my guess is right, he needs to learn good interpersonal skills from his staff then.

Housekeeping - As soon as we got inside the room, we were greeted by muddy shoe prints by the foyer. This is so noticeable so I checked everywere if the room was not cleaned before it was assigned to us. I just noticed some litter in the garbage bin but everything seemed to be in place. We didn't request that our room be cleaned after the first night and we moved to a different room on our 3rd night so I can't comment on the efficiency of room cleaning. I just noticed that a huge bag of clean towels and a bag of trash were outside one of the staff rooms by the hallway on the 5th floor at 11am and it was still there when we came back at night.

Room - As with the other reviews, the airconditioner is a big pain! The auto on/off noise kept me awake on the 1st night. Yes, the flow of cold air from the vent gets unto your face directly so we have to put something to reroute the airflow towards the window and not on the beds. On our last night, we realized that the vent grills are movable so you can swing it towards the side of the window. As in any new hotel, all furniture are new and the bed is perfect after a tiring day. I agree with a previous review that the faucet was installed too close to the edge of the sink. My handyman could have done a better job than this. Some rooms have bathtubs while other rooms just have a shower. The tub does not look new to me as it wasn't shiny. The shower is modern as it has a glass enclosure but the floor tiles showed some smudges already. The cabinets and closet are in good shape but would need more hangers for longer stays.

Breakfast - Compared to Marriott Residence Inn or Holiday Inn Express, the breakfast here has a lot to offer. The breakfast area is also bigger and more modern than in the other hotels offering free breakfast. In one of the days, the scrambled egg was too dry and didn't look fresh but enjoyed the other stuff nevertheless. There's always something different each morning.
There was one day when a lot of staff were present at the breakfast area catering to the needs of the guests and asking if we need anything. This was a surprise as we didn't see this on the previous days.

Location - Close to LGA, plenty of Asian restaurants around, two blocks to subway station where the trains take you directly to Times Square within 20 minutes on express hours. There's a mall within walking distance. Tour buses going to the Woodbury Outlet Mall have their offices in this area too. In regards to the safety and cleanliness of the surroundings, this is like a market place, a typical Chinatown. We felt safe walking around but we didn't stay out later than 9PM.

Swimming Pool - our kids had a great time because the pool was almost empty and there were floaters available for them to play with. The sign shows "no lifeguard on duty" but we always see a hotel staff in there. In one of the days, there was a young male staff (probably on duty in that area) when we got in to swim. He has a female companion but we are not sure if she's a guest or a friend of the staff or a staff member. He was taking pictures of the lady from his phone or sometimes from a tablet in most of the times that we were there. We were thinking if they were having a photoshoot or something. When the lady stepped out of the pool, she was wearing street clothes including a belt, hahaha! I just feel that it's not quite professional to see something like this especially if both of them are hotel staff.

Overall, it was a good stay. With free wifi, free shuttle and free breakfast, I would stay here again if I get the same travel agent rate that I got during this stay.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
The_Business_Manager, General Manager at Hyatt Place Flushing/LaGuardia Airport, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Guinevere_j;

Thank you for your comments relative to your recent visit to the Hyatt Place/LaGuardia Airport. I appreciate your candor, constructive criticism and positive remarks. As you noted in your review; we have only recently opened the hotel and we continue to make subtle physical and service changes to the property to improve future guest experiences. As you also mentioned; we are very serious about each of our guest’s experience and our reputation as a whole. As such; we analyze and share each review: positive or negative - with relevant departments and associates to address service shortcomings and reinforce positive interactions. I have reviewed each one of your observations with our management team, shuttle drivers, arrival/departure staff, housekeeping department and pool attendants. In depth comments such as yours’ are a service to us. Unless we know a problem exists, we cannot react appropriately and make positive changes to improve future guest experiences.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Long Island City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My family and I was stayed this hotel at JUN 27-JUN 28, First of all the smell was so bad when I was entered the room.The wind from the air conditioners every powerful and noisy and it's not adjustable the wind were blow my head all night when I was in the bed make my wife and I feel every uncomfortable. And they "test" fire alarm in 6am without any notice if they call to our room tell us it was false alarm or something that we don't have to hold my kid with my wife use the stairs from 5th floors down to the lobby when I asked the employs at the front desk why this happened and that apologize from their mouth just make me feel we should woke up and do some exercise in 6am that good for us.
The last thing I couldn't accept is that I was booked this hotel on hotel.com and paid in full, when I check in I used my credit card as security deposit and when I check my credit card statement in July this hotel just charged me one more night after I check out without any notice (they got my contact info. when I was check in) when I call them they just said it's was mistake they will refund my money back and the explanation from their manager is they couldn't found the paper works from hotel.com that they sent to them and they found it after I called them that's what he said.

Dear Terry X;

Thank you for your comments relative to your recent visit to the Hyatt Place/LaGuardia Airport. I am not sure of the smell you described when entering your room, but I can only assume it is the smell of a newly constructed hotel, as construction was completed only 8 weeks ago. Each room is disinfected after each and every departure and air purification ozone machines are used in our corridors. I will personally visit the room you occupied to research and investigate. I can assure you the fire alarm you experienced was not a test. Our state-of-the-art and ultra-sensitive fire alarm system is designed with our guests’ safety in mind, but our failure to communicate the false nature of the alarm during your visit caused unnecessary angst and sleep loss and I apologize. As I mentioned; we have only recently opened the hotel and we continue to make subtle physical and service changes to the property to improve future guest experiences.

Comments such as yours’ are a service to us. Unless we know a problem exists, we cannot react appropriately and make positive changes to improve future guest experiences. I hope we will have an opportunity to serve you again in the future.
boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel at the end of June.

Unfortunately, our experience at the hotel wasn't great.

The fire alarm went off at around 6am the first night we were there. No announcements were made that it was a false alarm. There were people exiting the building using the stairs. We all looped around back into the hotel. When we got to the lobby, we heard another guest complaining that he had been at the hotel for 5 nights. The fire alarm went off 3 times during his stay. That is unacceptable.

Although the free breakfast had a lot of variety, the cooked foods were clearly old. (Although the next day when we woke up later, the breakfast seemed fresh. Perhaps only the 6am breakfast is leftovers from the previous day?)

Our room wasn't cleaned. If our room doesn't get cleaned, we should have gotten a discount on our stay. Part of the hotel fees include room cleaning. If the hotel doesn't provide the full services promised, we should get a partial refund. The first time I mentioned it, the response was, “Oh, you too? Other people have told us the same thing. I’ll speak to my manager, who will speak to the housekeeping manager.” There was no apology.
Upon checkout, when I was asked how my stay was, I said I was disappointed that my room wasn't cleaned one of the days. The employee processing the check out asked me if I had left the "come back later" tag on my door. I said no. He asked me if I put the "change my sheets" tag on the bed. If I didn't, housekeeping doesn't clean.
It seemed to me that he was finding a reason to blame the uncleaned room on me. That's unacceptable. What does the tag on the bed have to do with getting clean towels, some toilet paper, and the trash bin emptied?
Eventually, he apologized.

The hotel was clearly opened in a rush. There was a panel next to the toilet (near bathroom floor) that wouldn't close. The shower door handle may have been placed on upside down (it was sharp).

The hotel is clearly understaffed. It took a long time to get our car parked. I only saw one woman cleaning rooms on our floor. At most hotels that I've stayed at, cleaning staff work in pairs.

I noticed that I had a lot of random Hyatt charges on my credit card for $15, $20, $25. When I asked about it at check out, I was told that those were just "deposits" and that the hotel would refund me those amounts. I've stayed at many hotels before (including other Hyatt Place hotels). I've never gotten pre-charged for unknown services before.
It seems weird to me that Hyatt would charge me for services not used. I will definitely be closely monitoring my account. It seems like a dishonest way to do business. I wonder if I would get the credit back if I never mentioned these random charges. (Update: it's been a couple weeks since my stay. The random charges are no longer on my credit card statement.)

At this point in time, I would not recommend this hotel. I would not stay here again unless service improves.

I believe that this hotel has the potential to be good. Maybe in a year or two. However, it's clearly still very new and has lots of things to work out.

Pros:
There's a pool. However, the pool is pretty small and not very deep. It's great for young children/families, but may not be as great for adults who are looking to swim laps.

Although it is close to the airport, we couldn't really hear the airplanes while we were in the room. They did a good job sound proofing the walls.

The hotel room was pretty spacious for NY. (Although it's much smaller than the Hyatt Place we stayed at in Chicago.)

Great location (near subway and lots of restaurants)

Reasonable parking rate ($20/day)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
The_Business_Manager, General Manager at Hyatt Place Flushing/LaGuardia Airport, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Jenkers;

I have just read your comments relative to your June visit to the Hyatt Place Flushing/LaGuardia Airport.. The incidents you described are regrettable and I apologize. Thank you for recognizing our attributes as well as our shortcomings. Our hair-trigger fire alarm system is designed with our guests’ safety in mind, but our failure to communicate the nature of the alarm caused unnecessary angst and sleep loss and I am sorry. As you noted – we have recently opened the hotel and continue to make subtle physical and service changes to the property to improve future guest experiences. I can assure you that your experience is not typical of our hotel. I have reviewed your incidents with the appropriate departments.

Thank you again for your comments. I hope we will have an opportunity to serve you in the future.
Hartford, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I was here for 2 nights of the July 4 weekend and it was quite easily the worst Hyatt hotel I have ever been to. In fact, they achieved that before we even walked into the front door. Granted that this particular property has only been open for a month, some things can be forgiven but some cannot. At the end, it is its repeated mistakes and personnel issues that made it inexcusable for any hotel.

First, let's talk about the parking and check-in. The parking garage is almost impossible to find since there's no obvious signage that directs you to the garage and also that it's on the opposite end of the hotel's front entrance. We called the hotel and they advised to park the car in the front entrance so they can valet it for us. The problem is the front entrance is located right next to a busy dim sum restaurant that has its own parking issues, creating a disaster zone right in front of the hotel and rendering it impossible to park up front. 5 minutes and incessant car horns (from impatient Flushing drivers) later, valet came out promptly to take our car away and gave us a parking stub for picking up the car later. It only gets worse from here. We were greeted by two male staff members and were told that it's a little early to check-in since it was 1:30pm. But they tried to accomodate us to find us an empty room that we can check into and they should be applauded for their flexibility. The only problem was that the room they gave us was still occupied. So when we walked in, my wife and I saw a naked man who just finished up his shower! The cleaning crew immediately came over and apologized profusely. Then they proceeded to checke which room has already been cleaned, gave us that room, and communicated it to the front desk.

Now let's talk about the rooms. The room looks modern and new. Since it's only be open for a month, that's pretty much a given. The bed itself is actually more comfortable than other Hyatt Place hotels I've been to but probably not better than the Grand or Park Hyatts. What ultimately failed us was the placement of the AC. Like many reviewers have mentioned, AC blows directly at the bed. Because of it, both my son and I developed a serious cold during the trip. We ended up not using it at all at nights.

Now let's discuss the elevator situation. Even though there are only four elevators visible to the naked eye, sometimes it can get confusing which one can take you where. There is one that only takes you up to the condominium (why would condo owner enter through the hotel?), one elevator that takes you to parking garage but not up to your rooms, and two other elevators that take you up to the room (one of which can also take you directly to the garage but the other cannot). Therefore, there are times you need an elevator that first takes you to the lobby and then wait for another elevator there that takes you to the garage. Just stand in the lobby and count the number of confused guests. You would be amazed.

Despite all this, the worst problem about this hotel is communication. After our first night, we had contacted the front desk at 10am that we want the room cleaned. By the time we returned at 4pm, it's still not cleaned - it's been 6 hours! We called up the front desk and the lady told us that she's the afternoon shift so she wouldn't know anything about that. This sounded like an excuse of a 1 star hotel. The front desk lady told us they would alert us the cleaning crew. We waited half an hour and got nothing. So I walked out of our room, saw a cleaning lady walking around like she's vacationing in Hawaii, and told her we need our room cleaned now. She got to it right away and again tried to blame it on someone else. During check-out, I saw several Mexican customers ordering a drink, the front desk lady looked completely clueless on how to make a drink. It actually took 3 staff members and an instruction manual to complete the task. Because of this, we waited 20 minutes to finish a simple check-out. Then when we went to pick up our car in the garage, the parking attendants told us that they lost our ticket number. I've heard similar stories from other guests where the parking attendants have absolutely no idea which car goes with which ticket and ultimately had to ask the guests the color and model of their car.

There are a few positives - its location and relative new-ness. It is not located on the busy Main Street but off it, yet still very convenient to bakery, restaurants, tea shops, and groceries. As said before, it's only open for a week. So everything looks fairly new and modern.

At the end of the day, all the mistakes and miscommunication have become ludicrous. I don't care how new the hotel is, the staff is clearly poorly trained and many elements are not well-thought out. It is worse than a Holiday Inn Express hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear clp311;

I have just read your comments relative to your July 4th visit to the Hyatt Place Flushing/LaGuardia
Airport. Obviously, we made many mistakes and I apologize. Some of the physical characteristics of the hotel are confusing and it is unfortunate that our staff was not clear in explaining them to you. I realize our parking situation and your first impression were compromised by the busy traffic and construction phase of our garage entrance. I am happy to report that this situation has improved dramatically with recent physical changes - the garage entrance will be completed shortly. Customer service and flawless comfort are the hallmarks of our brand and company and in your case we failed in both. I have reviewed your incidents with the appropriate departments to ensure there is no re-occurrence.

Thank you again for your comments. Unless we know a problem exists, we cannot react appropriately; more importantly we cannot take steps to improve in the future.
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Having spent as much as 2/3 of the year traveling for many years, I have never seen an “airport” hotel with this level of incompetence. The hotel is run by a group of young people with barely any real-world work experience. On top of that, they have no hospitality training and lack even the most basic common sense. Poor communication is evident from management to staff, at every level. No coordination, no cross check list, no problem solving skills, no regards for their guest whatsoever. No adherence to Hyatt policy or recognition of Hyatt Diamond status. It’s a hotel where confirmations and assurances mean absolutely nothing – the staff simply didn’t care. Aloof would even be too generous when describing the staff at this hotel. The extent of shame this hotel brings to the Hyatt chain, or the hotel industry for that matter, is simply mind boggling. My escalation to the General Manager, was never returned. My then escalation to a manager at the management company for this Hyatt Place, Meyer Jabara Hotels, was not followed up as promised either. You should NOT consider this hotel even if this is the last place left standing…

I needed to be in the NY area for a family emergency and needed to then catch a 6am flight out of LaGuardia to head back to CA for an urgent business meeting. Prior to booking my stay, I called the hotel and asked about the airport shuttle and was told they run 24/7 to LaGuardia. Prior to leaving for the NY area, I printed some details about my trip, and noticed Hotel Fact Sheet on Hyatt Place website (different than the main Hyatt booking site) shows shuttle only run from 8am to 10:30pm. Surprised, I called the hotel to confirm the shuttle but was told the shuttle is not 24/7 and that the hotel made adjustment after open for less than a month and the previous person and website are all wrong. While I was on the phone, I was given 4 sets of different operating hours of the shuttle, each varied greatly, none of which would cover the need of my morning flight. It was clear they have no idea what’s going on. I was forced to escalate the matter to the front desk manager and whom apologized and indicate a lot of the staff were not well informed and the shuttle runs at 6am but she would make sure they will provide me a ride to LaGuardia t 4:30am. I took down her name and made note of the discussion.

Fast forward a few days and upon arriving at LaGuardia, I called the hotel for a ride to the hotel. I was given some of the weirdest answers to a simple question “Where should I wait at?” that they would call me when they arrive at the airport because the front desk person answered the phone is NOT familiar with LaGuardia pick up area! Get this - my ride back to the hotel took nearly an hour!! The driver decided to wait for another guest at the airport even though it was clear that guest called way ahead and was not ready and waiting at the terminal. Instead of making a judgment call to drop off my group first and come back for the other guest later, the driver just decided to wait, wait and wait some more. It was a total of 68 minutes from the time I called the hotel to when we arrived at the hotel. During check-in, I made a point to confirm the shuttle will be available to take us to LaGuardia at 4:30am but was told no, the shuttle runs at 9am, yet different again than what I was told last?! After I pointed out I’ve made the arrangement with the front desk manager, they then magically found my name in the reservation book and assure me the ride will be available.

On the morning of my departure, I arrived in the lobby just before 4:30am. To my horror, the front desk staff told me they don’t have any one to drive us to the airport and they can’t help us. After I pushed the issue several times referring to the confirmation in their log book, I was then told one person decided not to come to work and policy require they have at least 1 person at the front desk at all times. Strangely, there were 2 people at the front desk but they refused to explain why one of them can’t drive the shuttle. I find it incredibly inconsiderate that when the shift changed, they didn’t go through the morning checklist and noticed a pending ride request. If indeed they had no one to drive due to someone missing work, they could have simply call a taxi and have it waiting at 4:30am, but the front desk staff did none of that. Even after I pointed that out, they still refused to call a taxi. I had to literally raise my voice and compel them to call a taxi. After this horrific ordeal, I arrived at LaGuardia well behind schedule and had to scramble through the airport to barely catch my flight. To this day, I have not been nor was I offered a reimbursement for the taxi ride when it was clear it was the hotel mistake. Not that the money matter that much, it would be the right thing to do given the repeated failures.

Through all my travel experience, I have never seen an “airport” hotel that advertise free airport shuttle yet does not have a firm shuttle policy or schedule, especially a hotel near one of the busiest metropolitan airports like LaGuardia. Furthermore, the hotel is really located in downtown Flushing and quite away from LaGuardia. If the hotel decided their shuttle schedule or driver staffing needs to be changed, it should simply have that information updated on Hyatt website, which they didn’t. Using these false pretenses to lure guests with airport needs is simply unconscionable.

The hotel property while physically new, has all sorts of quality, defects and safety issues. Nail poking through the carpet, non-working electrical outlets, TV with no signals, and a wall AC unit that's louder than a 20 year old window-mount AC...just to name a few.

Dear knowmyhotels;

I have recently reviewed your comments re: your June visit to the Hyatt Place Flushing/LaGuardia Airport. The comedy of errors you experienced is - as you described “mind boggling” and I apologize. While I do not believe your portrayal on uncaring service is with no regard is accurate – there we several blatant communications errors made and I apologize. As we had been open for less than a month - our training and ongoing learning is perpetual with focus on improving our guests’ experience and providing value and it is unfortunate that yours’ was unfavorably impacted by our actions and misinformation. I am happy to report that business has stabilized since the opening and physical upgrades have been completed and interactive coordination of services have improved dramatically, as many of our recent visitors can attest. While these improvements do not affect your we will have an opportunity to serve you again in the future.
New Haven, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

A new hotel, with really nice rooms and common areas. We were catching a flight out of LaGuardia very early the next morning, so the location was perfect. There are some language issues with some of the front desk staff, but nothing major. Some minor issues like the aforementioned air conditioner blowing directly on the bed. And the faucet in the bathroom is mounted too close to the edge of the sink, so every time you turn on the faucet, water goes all over the counter. I ordered some food from their kitchen and it was a pretty mediocre effort. I ordered a small flatbread and when I returned to my room it was cold (they didn't even cook it!). I took it back to the front desk and they took it into a back room where presumably they microwaved it. They returned with the pizza and said that it was now hot, so I trusted them and returned to my room with the pizza. When I opened the box it was still cold with uncooked, raw dough. It was too late and I didn't bother to take it back. Moral of the story: don't order food here. The rooftop, indoor pool was good for my kids before the long flight, and overall I MIGHT stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the positive review. We appreciate your honest comments. Since we are a new hotel our Engineering team is correcting the air conditioning in every room and taking steps to improve. Thank you very much for your feedback on the pizza. We have taken your comments seriously and will improve the product quality to ensure there is no re-occurrence. We appreciate your comments as they make us stronger in the future. We invite you to stay with us and hope you will visit again very soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I booked this hotel via an Internet search based on good reviews by others. After I checked in and stayed with the hotel, my experience was excellent. All staffs offered the best services. I don't know what star this hotel is, but I truly feel they provide 5 star hotel services, especially, the front desk staffs. They made me feel very welcomed by offering good services such as giving me a short hotel tour, helping to call a taxi, providing subway info, learning info about rental cars, offering a free shuttle bus to LaGuardia airport, extending my check-out time to fit my busy schedules just to name a few. It really offers excellent services for business travel or holiday. I would recommend it to everyone.

Finally, I'd like to express my sincere thanks to all staffs at the hotel for their excellent and professional services.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
The_Business_Manager, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Place Flushing/LaGuardia Airport, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Tony Y, thank you for writing a fantastic review, and we'd also like to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your time in New York. We couldn't be happier to hear you had an incredible experience at our property.

From reading over your review, we saw you mentioned how helpful and friendly members of our team were. We are very fortunate to have such caring and dedicated individuals working with us. We'll make sure to let everyone here know of all the kind things you had to say.

We want to thank you for sharing your experience with us and the TripAdvisor community. It really means a lot when patrons take the time out of their day to leave a wonderful review. We hope you realize how much we appreciate it, and know this kind gesture doesn't go unnoticed.

If we can ever do anything to accommodate you in a future visit to our location, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thank you. We hope you'll visit us again!

Been to Hyatt Place Flushing/LaGuardia Airport? Share your experiences!