“Very nice stay!” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   138-46 Northern Blvd, Flushing, NY 11354   |
Dublin, Ireland
“Very nice stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

We couldn't find a good and cheap hotel in NY for a while.When entered YMCA official website we finally decided to book a double room in Flushing (price on that site is much lower than on the others). The hostel was located in very interesting and safe area filled with great Korean/Chinese restaurants. It took 30 mins. to get to Manhattan (purple line 7 goes 24/7). Our room was quite big. We had lot's of channels on tv. Staff at reception was very nice:)We could use swimming pool, basketball court, sauna (we just couldn't find time for that).Room service every day. All together-nice place to stay if you are travelling on budget.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

Stayed at the YMCA in Flushing for two nights Fri-Sun. My room was on the third floor above the basketball court which was somewhat of a downside since you can hear the balls bouncing in the morning, If I stay again I would have to be on the fourth or fifth floor. Room was clean, no bugs, just smelled a little strange but room had an air conditioner which helped. Front desk staff was fantastic and super friendly, they do have storage to place your items after checkout in case you don't want to haul it while you are out. They do have internet but it only works on the 1st floor I did not use it during my stay so I don't know how good service was. They also have a cafe with coffee and snacks on the 1st floor-Cash only. Easy access to Manhattan 40 min or so. Overall perfect for a cheap place to stay

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2010

It a pretty cheap hotel situated in ChinaTown-Queens. Rooms have a TV and a refrigerator. The only inconvinient is that there is only onre restroom per each level. You can get very easy there...using the 7th line(purple) of metro. From Grand Central it will take exactly 30 minutes by metro. ChinaTown is very quiet and those chinese are very funny and friendly...but if u want to ask something u might have the surprise to get an answer in chinese :) Enjoy!

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

I give it a 3-star rating because it is a hostel, so it's not going to be "great." Having said that, for hostel accomodations, we were very happy with it. It's about a 30-40 minute subway ride from Grand Central/Times Square, with a 5 minute walk to the subway station; however, if you plan to spend the entire day in Manhattan and just come back to sleep, then I think it's reasonable. Hotels in Manhattan in December are expensive and book up quickly.

Flushing itself is an interesting, multicultural area. Tons of Asian restaurants and businesses. We felt safe walking in the area, even late in the evening after returning from Manhattan. The subway felt safe too.

The room was basic with a t.v., fridge, closet. We had two twin beds. Bathrooms are shared, but separate mens/womens. You are given a key at reception to access them, though the door to the mens bathroom on our floor didn't close properly. Security at the YMCA felt good too; there was always someone at reception to let you into the building. The cleaners came every morning to clean rooms.

Probably our favourite feature was the free parking. We drove to NYC and were initially concerned about where to leave our car since we were going to use the subway to get around.

• Liked — Free Parking
  • Disliked — Distance to Manhattan (but worth it for us)
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

For $72 a night for a private room in New York, we are really only expecting a place to sleep.
We book this place simply because this is the cheapest we can find.
It's a 40 mins trip to Time Square, but subway comes every 5 mins, we found it quite convenient and cheap too, $2 for a one way trip, $7 for 4 trips.
Room is small, half the size from what we saw in others photos, can bearly turn around with our suitcase on the floor.
Tower is provided and clean. There's aircon, fridge & TV in the room, we enjoyed all the old TV shows.
Free wi-fi in the common room, had fitness room, we didn't have time to use it.
I'm ok with the gals bathroom & shower, but my boyfriend says the mens toilet was blocked and shower curtains smell like sweat.
Hotel staff were helpful, the guy on night shift was very friendly, we arrived at 11.45pm, he still got a room for us.
We had good dinner at the corner Korean restaurant called Noodle something.
Overall, if you don't mind dirty carpet, small room and shared shower, then it's a good place to sleep in.
We are budget travellers and probably will stay there again if we go to NY next time.

• Liked — Cheap
  • Disliked — Dirty
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Victoria, BC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2008

This hostel is good value BUT DIRTY. $35 per person for a private room. Two of us stayed there. When I got to my room i checked my bed and there were PUBIC HAIRS all over it. I went downstairs and asked the front desk to change the sheets for when I come back. I went out, and to my dismay they were still there. By that time it was too late to have them changed, so I just slept on top of the blanked and wrapped a sheet around my pillow cover as, if they haven't changed the bed sheets they definitely haven't changed the pillow covers.

Its also is pretty far from Manhattan. It takes about 40 mins by the 7 train.
MAKE SURE YOUR SHEETS ARE CLEAN FIRST AND DEMAND A CHANGE.

• Liked — Price for a private room
  • Disliked — Dirty
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2007

The Flushing YMCA is an ok stay. I ened up staying here due to a 23 hour layover on my way to Bermuda. It wasnt what I was expecting but at least the rooms and bathrooms were clean and the people were EXTREMELY FRIENDLY.

The only thing that really stuck out like a sore thumb to me was the fact that there were shared bathrooms and you needed a key to get in. They supplied you with the key but I would have been much happier had there been a bathroom in my room. But over all if you're working with a small budget its a decent CLEAN place to stay.

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — shared bathrooms
  • Stayed May 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Flushing YMCA? Share your experiences!