“Not a Good Experience” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Flushing
Corner Brook, Canada
“Not a Good Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

From check-in to check-out I was disappointed with this hotel.
Upon checking in I found the front desk clerk smoking at the desk; this is not at all acceptable. Further the clerk did not seem like they wanted to be there, he more or less ignored me until I wouldn't let myself be ignored (I was the only one in the lobby at the time). After several cancelled flights due to bad weather all I wanted to do was check-in and go to bed.
Unfortunately I couldn't just go to bed once I finally got to my room because the room was freezing. I asked for extra blankets and was given one blanket. I explained that there were two beds being used so we needed two extra blankets but wasn't given a second blanket. The second night I again asked for extra blankets as none were left in the room when we returned that evening just to be told that none were available. Very frustrating. I would expect a hotel to have enough blankets on site.
Housekeeping did a good job but seemed to be rushed. The room was cleaned each day but we didn't always get enough towels left or the used towels placed on the floor for removal taken away.
Breakfast was a joke. The hot food was cold and if we didn't get down to breakfast by 8am there was almost nothing left. None of the breakfast items were refilled any morning that we went down for breakfast even after mentioning it to the front desk clerk. Every Comfort Inn I've stayed at before has a breakfast attendant to oversee the breakfast area and the refilling of items, this location did not.
The neighbourhood the hotel is in is not one in which I felt overly safe walking around at night. The nearest subway and bus stops are a couple of blocks away so walking after dark was not an option.
I would cancel my trip before staying here again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. If you have to stay here ask for a room away from the elevator as it was very...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Ok, this place is in the Heart of Flushing Chinatown and is a great place if you are looking for value and a place to crash for a few nights. I arrived on 6/6 the staff was friendly and very casual, the housekeeping was very kind and did not wake us early in the morning which is usually the case for me at Choice Hotels. The Breakfast well I passed on it after viewing it, but there were many places to get early morning dumplings and rice in the area. The massage place is open 24 hours near by "Dream Spa" and my wife and I enjoyed a great massage at 2am after being out all night rate is $40.00 per hour. I would stay here again if I could once again get an awesome rate. The room was spotless and the beds were comfortable and the a/c worked great, could not have asked for anything more.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I was all excited upon my arrival to NYC to enjoy our visit in the Big Apple. The problem with our hotel room began when I arrived to the airport and call to ask where will the shuttle will be picking us up? The phone located by ground transportation put me in touch to Comfort Inn, La Guardia (as advertised and printed on my reservation). Once I spoke to the Comfort Inn agent she informed I was calling the "wrong location". She gave me the correct phone number, I I dialed the number 3 X without getting an answer. After 25 minutes waiting, I got through on the phone only to be told there was NO SHUTTLE SERVICE and I couldn't cancel my reservation. I spent another 45 minutes trying to reach the Corporate office.After wasting another 45 minutes on the phone and precious time planned for touristy activities, I paid for my own cab. It never got better even though eventually I was reimbursed for cab fare. Never again will I stay there.

Room Tip: read the fine print on your reservation and comfirm on the phone. Not an easy commute to Manhattan o...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Location wise, its a good 5-10 mins walk to local drugstore, fast food restaurants. But it is always advisable to walk in pairs or groups at night. The breakfast area is very small for a hotel. Probably only able to accommodate up to 20 people at a time. Breakfast seems to look good but that is if you come down early. They do not do refills for eggs and sausages. Lobby is a tad small and to get to the lift, you'll have to carry your luggages up a small stretch of steps. Room size is acceptable still, pillow is kinda small. Try to avoid basement if you are a light sleeper as the ice machine is kind of noisy. Basically, recommended to people who'll be out the whole day long and only reaching back to the hotel for sleep.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Morgan Hill, ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Indeed, this hotel is almost walking distance from La Guardia BUT it was not only the sound of the planes that disturbed my sleep but the sound of the heater. Probably the loudest one I have experienced. The thermostat would not work until a staff member came to fool with some buttons on the window unit. The heater roared and shuddered on and off all night. Windows did not appear to be double paned and the cold came right in.

Because I was on a senior rate, I paid $75 (though I see it varies quite a bit). That put me in a queen basement room. Really, the basement. The only advantage was that there was less plane noise than in the first floor office. I had to jiggle the drapes quite a bit to get them to cover the window so people could not look in. Their view would have been right into the bathroom so, despite being alone in the room, I shut the door when I used it. The queen room is VERY small,with barely room on either side of the bed to walk. It was decorated with the usual Comfort Inn heavy red bedspread and a blanket that the maid had down at waist level. Since the temperature range was fairly wide as the machine went on and off, I was never really comfortable - too hot, then too cold. I got about 4 hrs of sleep as a result and, at 7 am, I finally dragged myself out of bed despite not having a flight until 1 pm.

There is no business desk, much less an office. The staff let me use their computer behind the counter for printing out boarding passes. The staff was the best part except for when I asked if there were any food available in the hotel at 11 pm and they said no. The next morning as I exited the elevator to the office I found myself staring at a vending machine with chips, candy, etc.

Pick up at the airport was easy and smooth. Except you better have their number on you and a cell phone with you as the area where you used to be able to call for a hotel has been disabled. The pick up is in the middle median where all the other hotel shuttles come. Midnight is the drop dead time so if you have a late flight or possibility of being delayed, this is not a good choice for you.

Ah, and then there was breakfast...in a very small room just above the lobby. Two tables for two and a narrow counter with about 6 chairs. They had the usual waffles, bagels, rolls, etc along with apples and oranges. However, when I lifted the lid to the steam table container, I was surprised to see glass bowls with strange colored scrambled eggs that were not tasty at all. And mystery meat that looked like strings of fried fat and gristle. And possibly fried bologna. A nearby couple cracked up at my reaction. I passed on the lot.

This hotel is not on the same boulevard as the rest of the airport hotels. It is on a dark street close by. I understand from staff and other patrons that you can order Chinese food during the dinner hour and have it delivered to your room. Possibly pizza as well from Papa John. I would not be comfortable walking to any restaurants plus it was cold and dark.

I think the renovation was OK but overall this hotel did not meet the standards I am used to from Comfort Inn. I recently stayed at one at LAX and it was head and shoulders over this one. Had a computer for guests and an excellent breakfast. Same price.

It has no pool and no restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for the basement for noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Kolkata
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

If you are looking for a economic hotel with bed and breakfast in NYC,then look no further.These hotel has it all.However be informed that this hotel is located in a Chinese area of the city and hence you may have to take a bus or the train for eating for going out for dinner,unless you love Chinese food.
It is a quite and very clean hotel and very close to the La Guardia airport.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Flushing? Share your experiences!