“dadwithkids” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Fishkill
Salt Lake City, Utah
“dadwithkids”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The property and location is great and the largest rooms you will find for the money. Hold your breathe when you walk in though. This whole place smells like cigarette smoke and garbage. The hallways are very dirty and smell like the rugs are never cleaned. Depending on the room, it smells musty. Its nice to have a full size fridge and three beds with room to spare so the rest is tolerable. They should really just ban smoking because the entire place stinks, and even the staff smoke outside the entrances making it overwhelming for non smokers. It just needs a thorough cleaning and new carpets, maybe a manager who cares about keeping it clean, not hard to improve on this. The Allsport gym next door is awesome, the summer camp was great for the kids.

Room Tip: less smokey on floors 1 and 2,
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Fishkill - Route 9, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We appreciate the kind comments about our location and the size of our rooms; however, we apologize that our public areas were not well kept during your stay.

I discussed your comments with the team, and we are scheduling a carpet replaced in the near future. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel.

Once again, thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

When we arrived to check in, there was no one at the desk. A sign read "Please call 0 and I will come down immediately". We called, and waited...more people showed up behind me...we waited some more. The woman who finally showed up was pleasant enough. I asked for a non-smoking room. She handed me the keys and when we got off the elevator the smell of smoke was overwhelming. We were technically given a non-smoking room, but a few doors down was the smoking section of rooms. My room smelled bad, it was dirty, there wasn't any shampoo in the bathroom, it looked like a bad design from the 1980s, and was in need of a paint job. Dirty vent in the bathroom. Eww eww ewwww.

I called the front desk to ask for shampoo and the same woman said she'd bring it up to our room. We waited...and waited...and waited (do you detect a theme here?). No show. So I called again thinking maybe she forgot. She said she'd bring it right up. In about 5-10 minutes she knocked at the door with the shampoo.

The smell of smoke continued through the night (I should have asked for another room, but we were too tired to do so)...I even had to open the window because it was so bad. In the morning, I went down to the front desk to complain. She told me that I was on a smoking floor even though my room was non-smoking. (What a stupid idea! The whole floor should be smoking if that's the case). A different woman (who was also pleasant) told me she'd have the manager call me. I haven't gotten a call (what a surprise!).

Went to the "grab-and-go" breakfast room - a very small selection of oatmeal packets, a few granola bars, some coffee/tea, and a couple of sad-looking pastries. And - wait for it - no cups!!! I walked back over to the front desk and told the woman about it. She opened the cabinet, no cups there either. She seemed to look everywhere for cups, while other people started gathering, waiting for breakfast. Still no cups! She brought ONE CERAMIC CUP over, and I left. Not sure if any more cups materialized. There's a Starbucks next door - guess where I went for coffee?

Having only one person at the desk for this size hotel is unthinkable. I felt bad for each of the women who worked there. They weren't to blame, the management is. Bad management, dirty, run-down, smoky, stinky hotel with bad service (due to not enough front desk staff)!

Please, for your own sake, don't make the same mistake I did. Pick somewhere else!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that you experience all these issues during your stay.

As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have taken measures to ensure your experience is not repeated. The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve.

We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I booked this room with Hotels.com and they said there was a full complimentary breakfast but that was not the case. I called Hotels.com and they were kind enough to give me a $50 coupon for future use toward my next booking. The hotel has a good location but it was not clean as we found old potato chips under the edge of the sofa, food crumbs on the desk chair and food stuck to the range hood. We were told there was an express breakfast of muffins, coffee, ECT but the area was not maintained or restocked. There was no hot coffee and we ended up at the Starbucks. Cleanliness is important to me when traveling so I would not recommend this location. The outside of the main entrance must have been the area for smoking as we had to walk through a number of people standing around smoking on two occasions. The area of Hotel felt safe and was very close to highway.

San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The staff was great, room was a good value, but a large tribe of smokers blocked and stunk up the front door and foyer to a degree I have never seen. It detracted from one's first impression, to have to hold one's breath and walk thru the smoke. Staff did what they could, (sprayed air freshener), but the strong smell lingered. Aside from this, the quick breakfast was lacking. Do not calculate a benefit from breakfast, as you will get good coffee, and eat elsewhere. Especially if you bring kids.

Room Tip: Room A/C was a little loud when it cycled on/off, but didn't keep me up. Use side entrances to a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
high springs fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Excellent place to inhabitant- when so far from home. Rooms clean, large at a reasonable cost. Staff very effective with giving the clients service. The nice thing about this extended stay, were the people whom ran the place, they knew about the local stores, the places to eat, the mode of transportation, what was around the area to do, and too, they were willing to go out of their way to make sure you understood how to go and the different means of transportation needed to get there.. I would say that this extended Hotel America is worth the pleasure to stay again, even for a short trip to and from upstate to the big NY City.....

Room Tip: Upstairs if you like the warmth- down stairs if you have pets and children to contend with.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Wappingers Falls, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I lived at the Extended Stay for aproximately 3.5 months while my house was being rebuilt. While I am happy to be back in my home - I would go back to the Extended Stay again if needed.

The pros:
1) Cheaper than a regular hotel that charges by the night
2) Offers Clean Room with small cooking area/sink/medium fridge, Place to do Laundry
3) Privacy is respected - and the staff was always helpful when I did need something
4) Always felt that I (as well as my personal belongings) were safe
5) Walking distance to several restaurants, Walmart, Movie Thater, some other shopping
6) Right by I84

The Cons:
1) If you cook - you are likely going to smell it in your room all night. Also smell it in the hallway
2) Cleaning Service - once a week to make bed/vaccuum/clean bathroom
3) Limited TV - has basic channels - although still never found FOX. Do not have extended like cooking channel
4) Wireless is free but slow. You can purchase their faster internet for more money...but it wasn't faster and would chunk along.Every month password would change on my wireless internet and I would have to call to get new code.
5) Door key would lose its code every other week and I would have to keep going to the front desk to get it reset each time
6) I kept extending my stay prior to my end date expired. Each time I extended - the system would think that I checked out and send me an email thanking me for my stay and ask me to rate their place. I only had 1 very long visit - so would have expected only 1 email after I checked out instead of 1 each time that I extended

Overall: It met my expectation and I would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the End of the Hallway will hear people going in/out of the hotel all night. You also smel...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Fishkill - Route 9, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Holly - I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. Please accept our apologies that we did not meet all your expectations. Still, we are pleased to know that our staff was so helpful and that you felt safe at all times.

Milford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Excellent location. The staff our friendly and helpful. The room was very clean. Love the full size refrigerator and kitchen. We stayed two days and it was easy to get up route 9 to all the venues we wanted to see. Very close to restuarants and shopping. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Fishkill - Route 9, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review about your stay at our hotel. I am so happy to read that our team provided you with such friendly and helpful service. As well, we are glad that you enjoyed your room.

Been to Extended Stay America - Fishkill - Route 9? Share your experiences!