“They know of problems but do not address them” 1 of 5 stars
Review of HYATT house Fishkill/Poughkeepsie

You added HYATT house Fishkill/Poughkeepsie to your Saves list
HYATT house Fishkill/Poughkeepsie
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Westage Business Center, Fishkill, NY 12524 (Formerly Hotel Sierra Fishkill - Pougkeepsie)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Fishkill
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“They know of problems but do not address them”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

First, let me say that the hotels is nice in appearance, and it looks like it has decent business accommodations. Staff was helpful on check-in and pleasantly gave us room keys and a little gift basket left there by our hosts (we were in the area for a wedding, they had a block of rooms reserved).

When we didn't find a hair dryer in the room, we called the front desk and had one brought to us, but that took about 20 minutes. As we were going to the wedding, that was a little nerve-racking, but we made it on time (barely) so that's no big deal.

When we returned around midnight, the hotel bar was full of people, and there was an event in one of the conference rooms. It lasted until past 2AM. We heard the noise in our room, lots of whooping and clapping, both from inside and from a patio outside. The outside noise is unacceptable -- any room could easily hear that. Inside was reasonable because it's better they're loud in the bar and conference room area than in the rooms, except that our room was on the first floor and there was no separation between the lobby area and that wing of rooms. Had there been a set of fire doors or something similar (like in every other hotel) I doubt the inside noise would be an issue, but with those set of rooms essentially right off the lobby, how do you allow for that kind of raucousness that late? But I tend to be a light sleeper so I put some earplugs in and eventually fell asleep.

Apparently our room shared a wall with the dishwashing unit of the kitchen, because at 6AM we were both awakened by the industrial dishwasher. And that was the end of our sleep -- all 3 and a half hours of it. It was really loud. By 8AM it was as if we were in the kitchen. I could hear staff talking and whistling amidst the clanging of dishes and equipment. Needless to say, we got out of the room as hastily as we could.

I went to the front desk to complain. After explaining my frustration with the kitchen (I didn't even address the noise from the night before) she said that then knew of the issue and that (and I quote) "the check-in staff should have warned you about that when you arrived."

I was absolutely dumbfounded. She said she was real sorry (she certainly didn't sound like it though) and that she could take $30 off the $109 bill for the room. We packed up the car, thought about it for a second, and came back in to notify them that we were paying nothing. It was only at that point that they said okay, and that they could comp the room.

So here's what we have. The hotel knows the room is unusable but book it anyway and hope that the poor people they stick in there don't complain. If they do, toss them $30. If they still complain, comp the room. But I'd rather have stayed at another hotel and paid $109 than get three and a half hours of sleep for free. And if protocol is to tell people that the room is unusable, who's going to stay there?

Stay there if you must, but if you get room 130, or any room on the first floor for that matter, tell them to put you somewhere else. This goes double if you're booking a block of rooms for your guests.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
HSFishkillGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Fishkill/Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, September 26, 2010
Thank you for your comments and suggestions, we find them instrumental to the success of this hotel. We take all of our guest’s comments seriously and try to find a resolution any way we can.

In this case, we are aware this room is not up to the standard of the other 134 guest rooms and suites in our Hotel. Therefore, we have decided to change the room entirely. Due to the way this hotel was built, there was one room that would be affected by noise on a neighboring wall. You had this room. Moving forward we will renovate that room to include soundproof sheetrock as well as change the hard goods in the room to face the other direction, and the headboard will no longer be against the kitchen shared wall.

This room typically is the last room sold in the hotel. We have had to use this room before and unfortunately works only for the late to bed and earlier riser. Please accept my sincere apologies for this sleepless night you encountered. I can assure you we are making the changes I mentioned in order for each guest to get the sound sleep they need.

The comment regarding, “toss them $30” is not the mentality in which we train our employees.  All guests are very important to us and we feel badl we fell short in your case.  I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience further and to extend a gesture of goodwill in hopes that you will visit us again in the future.

In hospitality, Eric Schiller, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

We had read the reviews- we had a 2 King Suite. Both bathrooms have a shower. Nice kitchen- full size ref. The LR was very comfortable. There was a work desk and a work chair. The only LCD in the suite was in the LR not in the bedrooms. We were in suite 415- fabulous view of the mountains!! There were 4 weddings at this hotel during the weekend.
The front staff on Saturday morning did not know where things were located around in the area. The lobby didn't have much for tourist- which we thought was very odd. We loved the suites, location. We did have an issue with the shower- a major screw had fallen out- and it wouldn't turn on. Hmm.. why didn't the cleaning people find that issue? The service for that issue was excellent- within 5 minutes. Very nice gentleman and the phones didn't work- he worked on both issues. Not a big deal. Very nice person. W would stay here again-but hopefully improve the breakfast staffing issues.
The major issue was at Breakfast- we got there early when it opened- 7am. The 1st morning we filled out the small paper for the egg station. The egg maker lady didn't speak english very well. Instead of letting people know the food was ready- everyone's food sat on the counter- it was getting cold. Now, there was a helper to keep the buffet area stocked- she was doing nothing. She should have been delivering the eggs to people's tables. Hotel guests had to clear their own tables and put their dishes and clean the table for the next person. Again- the buffet stocker was doing NOTHING--talking to the egg maker. We have stayed at Hilton Garden Inn- in Pa- and the egg maker makes sure you get the hot food when it is ready and the buffet stocker clears the table, if you need more juice, etc. On the first morning most of the people were having to get new egg dishes because they were cold. This was the only thing that we didn't feel like it was up to standard. We hope that this gets improved, quickly.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
HSFishkillGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Fishkill/Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, August 12, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at Hotel Sierra. I am pleased you enjoyed room and amenities offered. I do apologize for the issues with the shower and telelphone in your suite and I am glad it was fixed promptly.

We obviously missed the mark on breakfast service. I do apologize and have addressed your concerns with the staff and improvements will be made with a sincere effort.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again.

In hospitality,
Eric Schiller, General Manager
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

Absolutely loved our room! We had booked a one bedroom suite, but when we got there we were upgraded to a two bedroom suite at no additional cost. The room was incredible! One bedroom had two beds and the other had a king bed. Each bedroom had their own bathroom. Small sitting and kitchen area in between. The beds were very comfortable- one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've slept in. The pool was a bit on the small side, but our kids still had a blast, and the spa was nice to relax in after being in the car all day. We would definitely stay there again! The only bad thing was the room was so nice, it spoiled us for all the other hotels we stayed in on the rest of our trip!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

What a great bonus to be upgraded to a two bedroom suite! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and the comfortable beds. Thank you for choosing Hotel Sierra and we hope to see you again in the future.

In hospitality,
Eric Schiller, General Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

We arrived for a wedding party that was booked months in advance. The staff here has a number of issues. At first the block of rooms ran out and instead of informing us that the block was full and that any other guests would need to get a "larger" room type... Although a negotiated rate was established, guests were calling in to make reservations and were all getting quoted different prices then contracted. WELL the bride called in pretending to book a room and basically busted the staff and did not receive an apology for this deceptive practice.

On to the check-in, I work at a Hotel and as a Manager, for you not to greet the groom and his party with a warm welcome was simply horrible. After we checked the groom in, I stood at the desk for 10 minutes before someone had acknowledged that I was as well supposed to be checked-In to my room. Front desk Agents kept walking behind the desk like that was a hangout spot. If you don't want to be in the Hospitality industry then move on but don't ruin everyones experience because the staff wants to milk the clock.

Very disappointing that there were no amenities in the room waiting for when the bride and groom checked in...Service Ahhh NO! I had asked 3 different Agents at the desk, 1 being the Supervisor who had no clue as to when or where or if the shuttle we had booked would be arriving at 5:30PM to escort all the attendees of this wedding. None of them seemed to give a rats behind. After asking on 3 separate occasions and having no one have the slightest clue of what was going on, I began to suspect that this property wasn't all it's cracked up to be.

On to checking into my room#220 which was supposed to be a Suite, was 1 room with a King Bed. For some reason the other parties that attended and stayed on the fourth floor all got these bigger, nicer and cleaner rooms. This was disappointing since we are all paying the same rate why should we get the low end of the pole? I enter the room, first this I find is a coors lite bottle cap as I step through the front door, crumbs by the bed table and just not that fresh feeling a hotel room should give off.

Instead of complaining to the incompetent Front Desk Staff, I asked for a late check/out due to the fact that I would be arriving late after the wedding and probably be getting to bed at 6AM (Checkout is Noon). "NO Sorry, can't be done" is what the Supervisor told me.

After waking up at around 6AM my girlfriend happens to notice two bites around her ankle. They began itching a lot. She thought maybe it was nothing and continued to go back to sleep. At 10AM she realizes that she now has 11 bites all up and down her legs. This is when she wakes me up throws me off the bed and starts examining the sheets.

WELL guess what we found 2 BEDBUGS that we were sleeping with all evening. Her legs were all bitten up and were bright pink. She called the Front Desk to report the situation. They were polite about the situation but not apologetic towards this issue. Their response was to call up there "trained" housekeeper to look through our infected room. If she so "trained" why is she not Pest Control. Housekeepers don't need to verify there are bugs in the room, the evidence is on my girlfriends legs.

After this horrible experience we took all our stuff packed it and went down to the lobby where my girlfriend showed the Supervisor the BEDBUG bites... She had no response and ran off behind the front desk. I tried to keep my cool and professionalism as not to alert the incoming guests and wedding parties that were arriving. I received no apology and had to fight to get the room comped. Unbelievable.

All our clothes had to be taken to a cleaners and we disposed of our luggage in fear the bugs might travel back home with us. This Hotel didn't give a damn and thats not what our Hospitality Industry is about. The experience of the wedding was a complete failure due to the lack of assistance and service from this "3 Diamond" hotel.

We had to pay $100 or more to keep the Bar open so when we returned from the wedding festivals we could relax and unwind at the Bar. It was supposed to be exclusively for the wedding party. ALTHOUGH there were just as many patrons who were there drinking and allowed to interfere with our private event. We didn't pay that money so the staff's buddies could sit in and drink with us. VERY unprofessional and we should not have been charged that fee if the Bar was already open with patrons. It's not nice to gauge the bride and groom for such horrible etiquette.

Also I had to pay for toothpaste and comb where at every other Hotel I have ever stayed has complimentary toiletries for their guests. Do not plan any events or vacations at this location until pest control fumigates the entire building.
Thank you for ruining a special day that we can never get back. Should have stayed at the Holiday Inn or a BESTWESTERN, I never have issues like this at their locations.
UNBELIEVABLE :(

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
HSFishkillGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Fishkill/Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, June 25, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
The Hotel Sierra prides itself in consistently delivering exceptional customer service. I have taken the appropriate action to share your disappointment with the staff in order to learn from this experience and improve the level of service.  The hotel has addressed the cleaning concerns with the appropriate individuals and departments.  We have contacted a professional pest control company and your findings were found untrue with no evidence. This feed back is highly untypical for this hotel due to receiving such positive feed back on the hotels overall cleanliness and service.  We have never experienced this problem before and take all concerns very seriously in order to deliver the highest level of service our customers have become accustomed to at the Hotel Sierra Fishkill.
Astoria, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

we just stayed here while upstate for a friend's wedding. We had a two-room suite with the most comfortable king-sized bed. The room had a whole kitchen area, two tvs (the one in the living room was a flat-screen), kitchen table...we couldn't ask for anything more. There is a pool and a fitness room but we were busy with the wedding and didn't get to use them, though the pool looked nice (didn't see the fitness room). The front staff is very nice and helpful. I would definitely stay here if we ever were up in the fishkill area for any reason.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
HSFishkillGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Fishkill/Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, June 21, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
It is great to know you had a perfect night's sleep at hotel Sierra. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will have the opportunity to stay again so you can experience the pool and exercise room.
New Castle, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

This hotel is one of the best my family and I have stayed in around the U.S. The suite was spacious, well appointed, clean, and cleverly designed. It was terrific to have a living room and kitchen separating two virtually complete hotel rooms. The large bathrooms, handsome vanity areas, big closets, ultra comfortable beds and linens, full kitchen, three LCD TV's, wi-fi, sofa (a sleep sofa!), and other amenities wouldn't be found in anything other than a four or five-star hotel. Moreover, the complimentary breakfast was bar none the best we've had anywhere. They even offer delicious made-to-order omelettes. It's a beautiful place with a large array of exercise equipment (which we used every day) in their fitness center. The pool was large and clean...as was the hot tub next to it. The staff was courteous, helpful and knowledgeable. Last, the price was well below $100 per night. I hope they can continue to offer what they do for such a great rate. The Sierra is terrific! We were hoping to find one in Sarasota, Florida when we go there in May. Regretfully, they're not established in that area yet. Hopefully, they will some day.

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
HSFishkillGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Fishkill/Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, May 2, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent visit to Hotel Sierra. I am delighted you found the hotel to be one of the best your family has stayed in across the United States. We work exceptionally hard to keep the hotel in tip top shape so every guest has a remarkable stay! Please be sure to check our website for locations the next time you travel. We would love to have you stay with us again at any of our locations.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

Great room, clean, reasonable size. Breakfast was good. Front staff was courteous and professional during the visit.

Unfortunately, I was double charged for the visit. Booked through hotels.com and then was charged again by the hotel despite verifying with them on check out. Not a big deal, mistakes like this do happen. I called to have the problem corrected 1 week later when I noticed both charges on my credit card statement. The gentleman answering the phone promised to look into the situation and would reverse the charge. He failed to reverse the charge and did not call back. I waited a week thinking it would take time to process, but no changes occurred, so I called again and spoke to a very pleasant woman who looked into the situation and called back within 15 minutes to tell me everything was corrected.

Again, the double charge mistake is bound to happen on occasion, but the lack of appropriate response on the first call was disappointing and the 30 minutes of wasted time between the 2 calls to resolve the issue is unfortunate.

Despite this, everything else was solid with this visit and I would stay again. This is not a high end luxury hotel, but I would consider it a very solid business hotel at a very good value -- if you can afford the slightly higher cost over the dozens of lower end motels in this region, its definitely worth it.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
HSFishkillGeneralMgr, General Manager at HYATT house Fishkill/Poughkeepsie, responded to this review, March 17, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for choosing Hotel Sierra. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we get. I apologize for you being double charged for your visit and the length of time it took us to correct our error. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope this error does not impact your decision to return to the hotel. Again, thank you for the comments because we are always looking for ways to improve our service.
In hospitality, Eric Schiller, General Manager

Been to HYATT house Fishkill/Poughkeepsie? Share your experiences!