“Really Perfect” 5 of 5 stars

2x Points Package
Ranked #2 of 11 hotels in Fishkill
“Really Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very surprised to find this excellent Hotel hidden away off Rt. 84 and Rt. 9 in Fishkill, NY. We have young children so a pool is always a huge plus and this hotel has an excellent pool and spa room that was clean and well maintained. The small adjoining fitness room was a nice bonus, I could watch my young teenager swim while I got in a run.

The difference here was the attention to detail, the very friendly staff and the full breakfast.

Our bathroom was immaculate and had all the little niceties many hotels ignore. Beds were comfortable and we could control our room temperature. In room coffee setup and a nice sized fridge (Not those teeny ones) were also appreciated.

The staff were all very friendly, but I must mention one young gentleman at the front desk who was exceptional. Truly empathetic and genuinely concerned about our needs, he was truly a standout hospitality professional.

We also loved the breakfast. I HATE hotels with free breakfast where your fighting someone for a stale bagel and lame coffee. This was complete with waffles, pancakes, and eggs all COOKED TO ORDER, not lumped in a soggy tray. All you can eat, so we made it a brunch with home fries, bagels, muffins and fresh squeezed orange juice. Plenty of cheaper alternatives are all around on Rt. 9 for those who just want a small bite, but for us this was great.

Overall, we were very happy with our stay here, and would definitely go back.

248 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My tired, electricity-deprived family was lucky enough to get a room at the Hilton Garden Inn near our home after Hurricane Sandy bashed the area. The front desk staff were uniformly kind and welcoming, and yes, there were cookies at the desk!

The room was clean and quiet, and the beds were very comfortable. We all slept soundly. The breakfast spread in the morning was so huge that it's probably just as well I'm not a frequent guest. I had perfect over-easy eggs made to order (the omelets looked good, too, but I didn't try them).

Many hotel rooms make it hard to find a single available electrical outlet, but our room had plenty of plugs within easy reach of both beds and both chairs. Because all three of my family members were trying to catch up on the information we'd missed during a blackout, we were incredibly grateful for this often overlooked convenience. We were even more grateful for free wifi that all of us could use simultaneously--again, any hotel could offer this, but so many don't bother.

My daughter enjoyed the pool. For me, a hot shower with excellent water pressure was more than enough.

We were all pleased with the many nearby dining and movie options. Just what the doctor ordered during our displacement!

Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is not the best Hilton Garden Inn by a long chalk. We stay in this area often and, being Hilton Honors members, tend to choose HGI. We have actually stayed at this HGI before because of the location. There is never an upgrade. There is no complimentary breakfast. Coffee/tea are available, but rarely cookies. Desk staff seemed - well, I'd say preoccupied. The rooms are ok - one chair only, meaning to watch tv requires one of you sit on the bed. Not very comfortable.
When we checked in (late afternoon), we were sent up to a room that was in the midst of being repaired, repairs involving a dehumidifier among other things. Rooms are typical, not very exciting. Definitely a less-than-thrilling place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chris R, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Poughkeepsie/Fishkill, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on recent stays at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your input and we’re very sorry you were disappointed in the look and feel of our guest rooms. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Chris Roganski
WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed at this HGI for 5 nights during the third week of October, 2012. Upon arrival [3:00 p.m.] was 'greeted' by a young un-smiling front desk person. She was brusque, cold, and totally unwelcoming. For me this was an immediate turnoff and a very negative first impression.
Thankfully, the other front desk people were great: professional, helpful, smiling, and genuinely pleased with their jobs Mark and Brian/Ryan [not sure of the name- but he was exceptionally outgoing and friendly- had been a sgt. in Iraq and Afghanistan- but told me that his real love was working at this HGI! - and it showed!] were fantastic, and the complete opposite of Ms. M. who had checked me in. Patrick [also front desk] was extremely helpful at check-out, as was the housekeeper, Alicia, who was genuinely eager to make my stay as comfortable as possible.
My room was spotless; everything worked perfectly; easy internet access.
I certainly was surprised, however, to find out that breakfast was an additional $9.95. [I had just spent 9 nights in an Embassy Suites, which included complimentary full breakfast and manager's nightly reception, so this came as a shock.]. No way was I paying $9.95 a day for breakfast, so opted to go to other restaurants [plenty in the area].
With the exception of the 'greeter' and the breakfast rip-off, it was a WONDERFUL stay!
P.S. The indoor pool was great!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

My time at the Hilton garden inn was wonderfull I stay at this property many times and enjoy myself each time but this last stay made me question should I stay here EVER AGAIN ! There was a comments made about a person that was staying at the hotel that I thought that was really Unappropriate , now we all have our like and dislikes but coming from the man who I thought who really care made me wonder is it all just a front. I know he work sometimes during the weeks and some time over night. But besides that every one else is great the front desk staff girls and guys are awesome the manager is good . If your reading this I would always prefer you to this location

• Stayed October 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

So we were there for Saturday night and had a horrible experience.

We came in around 3pm, were checked into a room on 3rd floor. As we are settling down, I pulled the curtains aside to see what's out the window and guess what I saw? Plastic wrap - they had covered the whole window from outside with plastic covering! The room was muggy as AC was not working and dim without any natural light from outside ...... Felt like we were in a "basement" for which we paid handsomely. I felt very wronged that they would put anyone in such a room, so I dialed zero to speak to the front desk. She tells me that the hotel wall on that side was being painted, and that the painting guys may have switched off the air conditioning. We went down in a few minutes & were told that the AC may not be back on .... At which point we requested to change the room.

The front desk lady did not seem pleased. She seemed to act as if what she did was perfectly right by saying something to the extent ' we can't not rent our rooms just because we are painting '. It seemed like she was not in the hospitality business but in the hostility business. What wrong had we done to be treated like this. We stuck by our request to change the room and were told that the hotel is full. She then started asking about whether we had used anything in the room etc and went with us to personally examine the room, before giving us another room on the first floor. No apologies were ever offered; just curt behavior.

So we keep our stuff and go sight-seeing. We are dead tired and go to sleep after 10. AC is on and lights are off, and within 2 mins we could hear the 'annoying extra sound' from the old AC that kept on going intermittently thru the night. I was really annoyed but then was reminded of the rude front desk staff and the possibility of ?changing the room at that time of the night. So I decided to see if my wife and kid could fall asleep and they seemed to so I let it go. In the morning, both myself and my wife had the same discussion about the annoying noise from the air conditioner.

We put it behind us, got ready to get out of there. I did tell a different front desk lady about the AC noise while checking out and she offered to not charge me for breakfast. I told her that she can do whatever she wants but we are not coming back ever. We will think twice about Hilton properties in the future!!

My only regret is that I did not speak to the manager personally, so hopefully he can respond to some of this. These are factual statements so I hope they do not try to tweak this to malign us. Big corporations are aggressively policing review websites; I hope that I am not pressurized to take this post down because it will serve a reminder to them to be courteous to all guests and provide them with a good stay.

Good night.
S

• Stayed October 2012
Chris R, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Poughkeepsie/Fishkill, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
My sincere apologies for the disappointing experience you had at our hotel. As part of our ongoing efforts to keep our building in perfect condition, we are in the midst of exterior renovations this week. Our contractors are making every effort to minimize any guest impact, but as they paint one section of the exterior at a time, the windows and AC vents are covered with clear plastic. I certainly agree that no one should stay in a room with the windows covered the whole time, but after a section gets painted, the covering is removed, and so it is only in place for a few hours - at most. I do regret the timing had affected your stay and caused you to have to switch rooms. Unfortunately, as the project is so weather dependent, it was virtually impossible to plan to shut down sections of the hotel in advance and limit reservations accordingly.

I also sincerely apologize for the service and AC noise issue during your stay, and I too regret that we did not get a chance to discuss them while you were here. We are constantly striving to be the best in our area as far as customer service and guest satisfaction, and input such as yours is very valuable in helping us achieve our goals. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss the matter further.
Clinton, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We were there for Army Homecoming. Everything was in good shape and the service was over the top. At the front desk was Mark. He help in any way he could including bringing up some glasses. Gloria was in the dining room for breakfast. Her attention made the morning brighter. This hotel is located in an area of restaurants and shops so you do not have to get into your car to go out.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Poughkeepsie/Fishkill? Share your experiences!