“BIG minuses... but a plus, too” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Cherry Grove Beach Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cherry Grove
Cherry Grove Beach Hotel
You added Cherry Grove Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Dock Walk, Cherry Grove, Fire Island, NY 11782   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Cherry Grove
Jupiter, Florida
“BIG minuses... but a plus, too”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

It really is a dump! For $300 (some Ritz Carltons are about the same price) we had the tiniest room...with exposed plumbing from a sink that used to be there...electrical wires just hanging...old unused phone jacks remain.... Non-level floors that you wouldn't want to touch with bare feet, a cheesy FULL SIZED bed for my 6'3 BF and I, a tiny shower, $5 Home Depot plastic blinds that were all wonky, nasty Mexican-blanket-looking bedlinens, and a poster framed in plastic as decor. To add insult to injury, they also demand a $10/key deposit (insulting) which you can't get back anyway if you leave the island early -- since the office doesn't open until 9:30. The construction of the whole place is poor...the upkeep is minimal and the clean-up crew sleeps late -- so if you getup early, it looks like Mardi Gras just went by.

On the plus size... it's a fun place to be. So -- party there but STAY elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the QUIET side if you want any sleep at all.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

If you are looking for a casual stay at a fun hotel, this is a place to be on Fire Island. Great bar, friendly staff, pool, store, dance club. The music will keep you awake if you are on the pool side. The pool atmosphere is lovely (but sadly it closes at 6PM) and the beach is a stroll down the boardwalk. There might be sand in your carpet and there is no maid service, but I enjoyed myself here. Low key and casual. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Pool side is fun for watching, not for sleeping.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We stayed at the Grove recently and had a great time. The staff were friendly, the pool was a laugh and the clientele were a fun crowd.

Room was a little noisy at night (especially at weekends) due to people congregating on the balcony at the front of the complex.

Entertainment was generally very good apart from one annoying act that seem to go on for an eternity.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room stay at the back - however you dont get the pool view. Get to the pool e...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Key West, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

I read through some of the reviews and thought that yes, some people make some valid points but things need to be put into perspective. There are THREE hotels in the Grove and they all have to make an entire year's income in less than 6 months (in reality, the season is about 2 months!) I challenge anyone here to operate a business with 6 months of no income and 4 more months of mediocre income at best. Yes, if you want to go for invasion, you're going to pay a HUGE premium to stay there and you will get the same room that is $69 on a weeknight in May so you may think it's not worth it but if you are going to Fire Island for the room, you're missing what Fire Island is all about.

Staying at the Grove Hotel puts you right where the action is. If you do Fire Island right, you're only going to sleep in your room so you won't care about the TVs (which have all been upgraded to flat screens), it's cool at night so you won't care that they installed an A/C in every room now, you will be out of your room and at the pool or the beach for the day so you won't care that the room is small. What you will notice through all the deficiencies is that the room is clean, the pool is sparkling, the shows are amazing, and the location is the best.

If you have an attitude, get yourself a share in the Pines. If you want to be around people and actually have fun, this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: If you're on a budget, they have amazing weeknight specials in the late spring and early fall.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Hartford, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

This place bills itself as a resort hotel? It is a dump! This is the largest Inn in the village of Cherry Grover on Fire Island. I have always wanted to go to Fire Island and finally had the chance after saving for this expensive destination. After a grueling day of traveling to Long Island and then taking the ferry across Great South Bay, we were expecting our first visit to Fire Island to be a pleasant event. It was anything but and mostly due to the poor accommodations at the Cherry Grover Hotel.

For $300.00 a night, YES A NIGHT, the room with a double bed was no more than 12' wide. The bed was awful. Uncomfortable. Thin sheets. Floor was stained. TV only got three channels. Bathroom was in disrepair. Hole in wall and shower head full of mold. Th A/C filter was filled with dirt and I actually washed it out myself as no air was coming into the room. When I inquired about moving my room I was told that they were filled and no other rooms were available. Since I paid in advance, I felt stuck for the weekend. No one could come to address any of the concerns in the room. It is clear that this place has a captive market and could care less about hospitality or quality accommodations. Not only will I not ever recommend or go here again, but I will never go to Cherry Grover again either. The image it has puts a poor light on the entire village

I would definitely not recommend this place to anyone. There are other smaller Inn's on the Island in both Cherry Grover and in The Pines and I would recommend to anyone that they stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Cherry Grove hotels

NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

The Grove Hotel suffered a fire this past winter on the north end of the hotel but they have fixed it up,these photos are not accurate, they have new linens, new flat screen TVs.for me it all is about location, location!..and this is it!..I only go during the week, so weekdays are allot less crowed,less noisy,less expensive than the weekends..but people go here to have a good time on the weekends..I am too old for that party phase..I went through it and am just an observer now...NEVER expect anything on this island to be FIVE stars unless it's you own HOME in the PINES or anywhere..this is a TWO star place and will remain so..but within that frame,it satisfies MY needs..everyone that works here from Ramon to Wendy are super-super!!..

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

I will say that my title is exactly how I felt about my stay here. I stayed Sunday night with a group of friends. This was my first time in this part of the island and my room-mate and I chose to stay at this property because was pointed out by our friends due to the incredibly good room rates. However, when I read the reviews, I began to think that even the deal we got through the hotel may not have been worth it.

Upon arrival, I was really anxious. We had been having trouble booking online due to it not recognizing the credit card numbers either myself or my room-mate were putting in so we had to wait while they took all of our info down upon arrival. This, wasn't too bad, as we did get to check-in at 12.

On the walk to the room, I was holding my breath. I had seen pictures of the rooms here and was actually pretty scared about what I would see when we opened the door. Upon opening the door, I know I let out a huge sigh of relief. As stated in one of the comments on the reviews, the property has recently been updated. The linens are newer, flat screens in the room (however, we were only in the room to shower and sleep) apparently AC is now in all the rooms as well. And even though the rooms were indeed small, I didn't need, nor want, a huge space. The carpet, bathroom and linens were clean. Though it looked like there was a stain on part of the fitted sheet, that was it.

All in all, I was actually surprised at how decent the property was for the money we paid. I would definitely stay here again and would even recommend it to friends. It's by no means the Waldorf=Astoria, or even a Hampton Inn, but if you're looking for a place to sleep, shower and change, this is the place. The shows that they have in the afternoon are great fun, its staff is pleasant enough and the property is overall good. For the quality of service this property is expected to deliver, it meets those expectations so it has my vote.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
La Quinta Inn & Suites Islip MacArthur Airport
Marriott Islandia Long Island
Residence Inn Long Island Islip/Courthouse Complex
Hilton Garden Inn Islip MacArthur Airport

Been to Cherry Grove Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!