“Clean, Quaint, Enjoyable Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dune Point

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cherry Grove
Dune Point
Lewis Walk, Cherry Grove, Fire Island, NY 11782   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Cherry Grove
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Clean, Quaint, Enjoyable Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We booked slightly last minute for Ascension and the only thing we could find in Cherry Grove or The Pines was a Bungalow at Dune Point. It ended up being a good choice. Dune Point is a very clean, cute and quaint guesthouse. It reminded me of a studio apartment. It was VERY small so not good for a long stay but worked well enough for a 2 day stay.

Instead of a bed the room has a futon that pulls into "2 beds" and a small kitchenette with mini fridge/freezer, oven, stove, microwave, coffee maker, pots, pans and dishes. We had a cute patio with chairs and tables so we could hang outside and enjoy the weather. The TV is also small and doesn't get many channels but enough to keep entertained. The air conditioner worked amazing and kept the room ice cold. The shower unit looked very new as well.

The common deck has a beautiful view of the ocean and is right on the beach. There are umbrellas, chairs and other things for guests to use on the beach.

There is no daily maid service but if you need anything Dune Point will accommodate you if they can. The check in office is right at the dock when you get off the fairy. The attendant was very nice and extremely helpful. The walk from the ferry to the room wasn't bad either.

I would definitely stay here again but hopefully can get a bigger, waterfront room.

Room Tip: Book VERY early as there are not many available and get waterfront/beachfront.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
loucaz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

A little pricey, but not pricey enough to keep me away. I will definitely be staying here again!! I rented the one bedroom apt. with ocean view. It was amazing! Nothing beats being so close to the beach. There were deer grazing right below us and on the beach. Everything aout this place was relaxing and beautiful!

You are far enough away from the more crowded area of the beach, but still only a five minute walk away from the ferry and restaurants.

Towels, soap, shampoo and conditioner are provided; and pots and pans if you would like to cook. Eating dinner on the deck overlooking the beach was lovely! This is a beautiful place to stay and I was sorry I had to leave when it was time to check out.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
New Orleans LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Dunes Point is a great location, and reasonably priced as FI goes. I took a friend there for his first visit to FI for his birthday. Staff was accommodating and the room was equipped very well with not only the kitchenette but the pots/pans and service supplies. They have beach chair and umbrellas for the guests to use and it is very quiet!

Room Tip: If your not from the area, or a first time visitor to FI you probably will be shocked at the price v...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Queens, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a quick beach getaway without too much driving from our home in NYC. Fire Island's Cherry Grove was the perfect destination and the Dune Point accommodations served our needs perfectly. We stayed in one of the studio rooms with the kitchenette. The room was clean, cozy, and charmingly decorated. There were dishes and glasses available for use, cable tv available, and a spotless shower with great pressure. The bed was a little hard but that was a small issue. All the Dune Point rooms are steps from the beach - literally two minutes out your door and down a walkway and you are on the sand. They also have a small supply of beach chairs and umbrellas for guests' help-yourself usage. The staff was unobtrusive but they offered great advice about checking out The Invasion on July 4th as well as allowing us to stash our bag at the office prior to being able to get into our room and again after checkout the next day so that we could be unencumbered on the beach before catching our ferry home.

Room Tip: There are two buildings - one on the beach and one behind. On the beach is better so ask for a room...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

great location on oceanfront, lovely deck areas with beach chairs & umbrellas available. but needs updating. but just being their makes you feel happy and carefree. so relaxing that you certainly go back! we did!

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bellport, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

I stayed at Dune Point last season and decided this year to go bigger. What a wonderful reservationist/manager they have (Petra). She goes the extra mile to make you feel comfortable with that "at home feeling". I am looking forward to a quiet, spacious retreat across from the Atlantic Ocean - away from the noise and active locals. They are pet friendly which is rare - and the newly renovated rooms are modern and beautiful. I plan to make this a postive habit each year.

Room Tip: Ask to be across from the ocean. Nice and secluded.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Weinheim
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

We stayed here for a few days in August 2011 and rented the two small studios adjoining one another as we were two couples. I will endeavour to be as honest as possible as there were positives and negatives. It has a great location as the beach is a short 5 min walk away and the studio has a small private deck in front of it. The studio itself was clean when we arrived but not cleaned for the duration of our stay again (4days). The furnishing was adequate to basic and I must say that I was dissappointed at the rather sparce assortment of kitchen equipment (extremely cheap ones at that), I was dissappointed in the chipped plates and the kitchen was an extremely old sort of melamine/aluminium installation which looked like something from the 1960's. I just feel that for the price we were paying around $250 per night that the interior finish could have been better. Okay, one can look at it from another angle and say, well, this is a beach bungalow, what do you realy need? The shower room was extremely small and one had to virtually reverse in to sit on the toilie. Once again, okay everything was functional, but I had no place to put any shaving equipment or toiletries. The walls are thin, so hopefully you know your neighbours or you have to keep all your activites indoors below a certain noise level.
There was an outside BBQ, which was fixed to the ground, and was shared between other apartments as well, so this left us one evening high and dry. Overall, we did enjoy our stay there, and I was oscillating between giving the place four stars, but I am going to stick to my guns. My cousin did go back and stayed two night with his wife in another apartment even further around the block that makes up this rental unit. Hmm, I don't think I would have liked that one!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Dune Point? Share your experiences!