“It's fine” 3 of 5 stars

Craftsman Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7300 East Genesee Street, Fayetteville, NY 13066   |
Hotel packages
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fayetteville
NYC
“It's fine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I don't have any issue with the hilariously large and old tv in my room. Or the spectacularly frustrating climate system (my room upon arrival was freezing - a colleagues was an oven). But, this place just needs a little work. My room had scuffed walls. The hallway had room numbers falling off the wall. This hotel is clean, but a bit rough.
Also, as I was here for work, there is a definite lack of plugs in the room.

Finally, the bed was nice enough. Clean. Fairly comfortable.

Would probably stay in a chain next time.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Ligonier, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

The Craftsman has everything going for it. It's convenient, quaint, has a nice layout and someone furnished it with lovely mission style furniture. What is missing is a good manager.

Lots of things are a tiny bit dog eared. Just a bit of replacing or refinishing things here and there would take of that. I might not even have noticed if everything else had been okay.

We stayed at the Craftsman Inn as part of a group traveling in for a wedding. We arrived at 7pm on a Friday evening. There was no one at the front desk. There wasn't a bell that I recall. We stood there and noticed someone we knew in the lobby and so started to chat. When my husband loudly said HELLO in the direction of the front desk then finally a fellow came out of a back room.

I got the impression that he was in training. There was another fellow who came out to help him when he could not figure out how to run our credit card. He couldn't get it to process and they decided they were having a technical problem and said they would try later and if not successful, we could take care of it on Sunday before we left. Fine.

While standing there I noted that there was a TV on in the back room and I guess we had interrupted the entertainment. I also noted a big bunch of stuff next to the front desk that might have been better stored in a less than in your face manner. Other than that the lobby was warm and welcoming. There is a fireplace and comfortable seating area. There is also a large dining room style table that I assumed might be used for breakfast in the morning.

Leaving the lobby we were directed to go around the elevator and down the hallway to our room which was on the 1st floor. I was shocked to find the hallway engorged with cleaning carts. I thought they might have been placed there temporarily for some reason and considered what a bad decision management had made leaving them in view of the guests. We walked the gauntlet of cleaning carts and found our way to our room.

The room was nice enough. I would say it was clean but the bathroom was what I would call hit and miss clean. Parts were very clean and parts hadn't been touched in months. There were only two bath towels, two hand towels and no wash cloths. There were a few tissues left and no back up box.

The one big plus is that the bed was EXTREMELY comfortable. - terrific mattress,

The TV must have been part of a satellite system that went in and out - often. When it was out, it was offensively noisy.

We went to dinner at the adjoining restaurant and when we came back to the room we received a call from the front desk that they needed a different credit card because we had exceeded our credit limit. This was insulting and infuriating, especially with the attitude [the inn employee raised his voice] and because it was absolutely not correct. We called our credit card company and were told that the hotel had not even submitted a charge.

In the morning I went to the front desk to sort out the credit card situation. There was a different crew there and when i presented the same card, the fellow said it was different than the one they were trying. I have no idea whose card they were trying to charge our rooms to but the entire situation was handled poorly and unprofessionally.

BTW I don't know why they have that dining room table. All they serve is coffee. There is no on site breakfast though you can walk next door for food and there is a Starbucks nearby.

I would have given an overall rating of poor except that the location makes it fabulous and the deficiencies are tolerable so long as you don't have high expectations. It was perfect for meeting and visiting with friends for the wedding.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This was our second stay at Craftsman Inn. It is conveniently located to where we have family and that is why we choose to stay here. I think the rooms on the first floor in the main building are a little small. The pillows need some updating on the beds. They seem to be a good bit lumpy. The free cookies, coffee and computer access are a really nice touch. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Clarence, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

When I entered the lobby I liked all the wood, the old charm type atmosphere. I had a small room with two double beds, it was comfortable and I was initially pleased. My major disappointment was the cleanliness of the bathroom. This is the place where a hotel must adhere to some strict guidelines. It obvious management misses this room on its checks for cleanliness. I really hate giving bad reviews, but the bathroom did me in on this one and forces me to give a poor rating.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Fayetteville hotels

Schenectady, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Recently stayed for two nights moving daughter into college. The rooms were advertised as spacious and decorated with Stickley furniture. The rooms were anything BUT spacious. Two full beds in a tight room. The Stickley furniture, including the bathroom cabinet, is scratched and worn, and the television was the old tube type in an entertainment center with doors that covered the tv. Needless to say, if you leave the doors open because you fall asleep with the tv on, you WILL walk into them in the middle of the night!

Cleaning service did not come around until 1:30pm, when we were taking a break from moving her in. Although we were okay with that, we ran out of toilet paper! Ridiculous! The cleaning that had been done prior to our arrival was not spectacular. Much hair stuck to the shower walls, etc. Gross! For the price, I was very surprised there were not refrigerators in the room or a free continental breakfast.

Positives: nice area, restaurants and shopping across the road.

Will be returning to the area later this month and will be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
St. Petersburg, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I used to live in the area and the Craftman Inn was fabulous when first constructed about 7-8 years ago. I returned for a family occasion and needed a conveniently located hotel. This was convenient and I remembered it's charm from before. I was disappointed for sure. The room was dimly lit and very noisy due to the ice machine reverberating through the ceiling from up and across the hall. The shower was a trickle of water and overall the room needed a sprucing up with fresh paint and a thorough cleaning. The morning staff was a bit curt when I complained about the lack of sleep due to the noise, and offered a poorly timed breakfast coupon since I was leaving upon check out. I suppose if you don't expect too much, it would be an okay place for a short visit. It is a bit pricey for its lack of amenities.

Room Tip: Away from the ice machine!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

The Craftman Inn lives up to its name: Attractive craftsman-style furnishings in the public areas as well as is the rooms. It is across the street from a large shopping center with a Panera, UNO, Bonefish Grill, Target, and Tops. There's (thankfully) a Starbucks next store, although they serve coffee in the lobby 24/7. We were there to attend a wedding near by, so we were able to see several rooms. Ours was the biggest by far, with two queen-sized bed; the rooms with king-sized beds were smaller. We had an old-fashioned TV, while another family member had a flat screen. There is a small fitness center (one bike, one elliptical, two treadmills + free weights). There are no refrigerators in the rooms we saw, but there are hair dryers and small coffee machines. All-in-all, we were pleasantly surprised with the accommodations and the staff's attention and courtesy.

Room Tip: It's possible that the larger rooms have two beds; ask for one of them.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Craftsman Inn? Share your experiences!