“Classic Italian Restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Oak Hill, VA
“Classic Italian Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Tried Bella Napoli while staying in the Farmingdale area. It is a classic Italian restaurant, which reminded me of restaurants I grew up with in New Jersey in the 1960's. The portions are huge, especially the salads (which each could serve 2-4 people), and very reasonably priced. Everything was well cooked and presented, and service was excellent (thanks to the waitress who advised us of the size of the salads so we only got one). The ambiance of the main dining room was classic -- a bit frilly, but comfortable and tables are fairly well spaced. It was a bit on the loud side (we were there on a Saturday evening), but not enough to inhibit conversation. Two things to note -- there is no pizza on the menu, but a multitude of appitizers, salads, pastas and entrees; there did not appear to be a formal wine list, but wines (and beer) were available by the glass with very generous pours. There is a full bar. All in all, a very nice experience. This is not haut cuisine as you might get in Manhattan, but Italian-American food as it should be.

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Lindenhurst, New York
“terrible service !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

We had the absolute worst dining experience ever here. I chose this restaurant for dinner when my family was visiting from out-of-state and couldn't regret this choice more. Although there were only 3 tables occupied when we arrived, we were soon far too aware of the "guests" at the far end of the dining room as they were obviously intoxicated and quite loud. Before meals were brought to us they had woken my sleeping infant who typically sleeps through dinners out at even very busy restaurants.
Our waitress was unavailable long enough that we were compelled to speak up ourselves and ask these guests to respect other diners. We were met with rude comments about not having a sense of humor. It was several more minutes before a waitress that was not serving us entered the dining room and I questioned whether we had a waitress for our table of 6. I voiced my disgust with the intoxicated party and informed them we would be leaving.
When our waitress finally re-entered and informed us she had been "leaving us alone so we could eat" I lost my patience. Our meals were barely touched at this point and we would like to speak to the manager about our unsatisfactory service. It was at this point I understood how truly terrible the service was. The waitress went over to the drunken table and sent over a swaying and grinning man who introduced himself as the owner!
At this point I demanded our bill be adjusted as this is no way to run a business and we were leaving our meals barely touched. Only after several minutes of heated discussion and the intoxicated wife of the owner actually putting her hands on me and telling me to "get the -- out and don't come back" we retreated, only to be informed by the police (they called them by the way as we were too stunned to know what to do) no matter how terrible the service was - we had to pay them the entire bill - 6 untouched meals due to the owners ruining our dinner! Oh! And it is apparently perfectly legal for restaurant owners in the state of New York to get physical to aggressively touch their customers.
As far as the little food we did eat..... those that ordered the veal were wishing they had ordered the chicken. That should never happen either but since we didn't get to eat it anyway I guess it's irrelevant.
I would like to point out also... we frequently eat out at busy, loud restaurants without issue. Had we encountered this loud behavior at a sports bar we wouldn't have thought anything of it. This is suppose to be a "fine italian restaurant" not a bar !

• Visited June 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, NC
“The Best Italian Food on Long Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2010

I have lived in Babylon for many years and have frequented this Restaurant at least once a week. The food is always consistently excellent and the staff is always friendly and courteous. We have recently moved out of state and to this day I cannot find a restaurant with food as good as Bella Napoli (I always use Bella as my comparison guide). My favorites there are the seafood entrees. The frute di mare and Chicken De Napoli are to die for. I guess I have to wait for my next trip to Long Island.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The best ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

The best ever

Norfolk, Virginia
“Wonderful Italian restaurant - great food, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

On a recent trip to Long Island for a family wedding, we ended up eating food from Bella Napoli two times - once eating in, again eating takeout two nights later. The food on both occasions was delicious, and the service was friendly and attentive. We weren't offered a wine list, and we didn't ask, so I can't speak to the quality of the wine. The food, however, showed careful preparation in all dishes. Even the bread was great. This is a restaurant we'll be returning to during our next visit to the area. Strongly recommended.