“Mostly edible - but generally not much beyond that Really cheaply made.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of China Grand Buffet

Improve this listing
Ranked #43 of 111 Restaurants in Farmingdale
Cuisines: Chinese
East Northport, New York
“Mostly edible - but generally not much beyond that Really cheaply made.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

A few hours ago I made my first visit here in several years. I was sort of stuck nearby and figured it was worth a revisit.

I tried to start with the sushi. Well, there was rice, and tiny bits of undetermined other things, some supposedly vegetable, some supposedly 'fish'. I tried a couple pieces; couldn't make out anything beyond the rice.

I tried a few raw clams. They seemed fresh, but some rinsing out of debris would have been nice. I later ran into the same problem with the sauteed clams.

Miso - this is the easiest, cheapest thing to make - and it still tasted weird. Egg drop soup was a bit better. I eventually tasted most of the hot dishes (except most of the 'American' ones. Most had a reasonable temp - impressive in a mostly empty buffet place. Spring roll was ok, first egg roll also, 2nd not so. Mushrooms of a couple varieties were good. Mystery seafood 'casserole' (my name) tasted good, and the mystery seafood mei fun was good.

Here's the real problem - for about the same $12.99, you'd be able to eat really well most nights at say, Old Country Buffet (fairly close by off Sunrise). Food would mostly be far fresher, much more flavorful. Everything about CGB reeks of cheap - and cheaper. Lousy fake ice cream. Imitation sushi. Oh, and I forgot to mention - crab legs so skinny, and sitting out so long, that any meat within has probably long since withered up and turned into something string.

The big question - would I come back with my wife? NO!

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Islip Terrace, New York
“Best Buffet Around!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

If you are Shopping in the Farmingdale Area and are partial to Chinese Buffet you need to try the China Grand Buffet in the Airport Plaza lunch is the most cost effective choice.
The China Grand Buffet is one of the best I have tried the variety of choices and quality was worth the trip!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Delicious variety at great prices...comfortable atmosphere! 4/15/13”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

You get much more than you pay for...All food, fruit, veggies and desserts fresh, appealing to eye ...most delious ! Would have know problem returning, even foods for young children...Very Good!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Very bad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

At first, I used to like this place, but then it started getting worse and worse. Staff is rude, never feel like working and taking your plates, so I don't get upset, I just put my plates in the next table, that always gets their attention. They are so arrogant and rude. Thank God for the best buffet in the whole wide world Chen's Buffet. There should be a Chen's Buffet in every corner. This buffet is not good at all, the food is not fresh, well at least the last time I was there, and when you bring it to the staff's attention, it's like you did a crime. I would never go back again, even if they paid me.

• Visited February 2012