“A 2 Day Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Elmsford
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
“A 2 Day Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This hotel is very clean and nice but suited for the guest who is passing through or short stay.
A hot breakfast is provided daily but no other food service is really available at the hotel. There are several small restaurants and delivery services available and they are listed in the rooms.
The location is rather isolated but it is "on top" of the major highways that intersect at this location. Compared to other hotels in the White Plains, NY area - this one has a very reasonable price.
One recommendation that applies here (and for all hotel reservations), check on-line for your best deal. I booked thru "booking" wed site and got a good deal. But I later found out the hotel offered a government rate - but I could not change it upon arrival since I did not book directly with the hotel. So cehck the various booking web sites (I usually google the location and serach "nearby" hotels - but I failed to check with the hotel directly. So a good habit to get into os to compare prices on-line - and then call the hotel direct and see if they can beat the offer. It will also give you a hint of the service as to how they speak to you - a potential guest.
If you do stay here - ask for an "even nuber room" which will put you on the back side of the hotel away from the busy freeway in the front.
The hotel is very nice - steep entrance and parking - would be difficult if icy or snow - but other than that - a solid hotel when passing thru or working in nearby White Plains. There is little that is near the hotel but great if you just need a room and breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for an even numbered room to stay away from noise of highway.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

314 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Tampa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Has to be an older Hampton. Bathrooms are very small, so much so that you have a difficult time closing the door.

Staff outstanding. John and several other front desk persons were always pleasant, accommodating and efficient.

Rooms were clean.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Michele V, General Manager at Hampton Inn White Plains / Tarrytown, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear noles2u

Thank you for taking the time to share your quick feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your time and input and we hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area.

Michele Viapiano
Sparta, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I had dinner at the Ritz Carlton, White Plains. Only living an hour away, I didn't think I'd spend the night. When I left at 10 it was snowing hard, visibility was bad and roads covered. I didn't want to go back to the Ritz Carlton and spend $350 a night so I drove slowly out of White Plains. I was getting lost and although I could put Highway 287 in my navigation, I was afraid to go over the Tapan Zee bridge. So, I searched for any brand-name hotel and the Hampton Inn was the first I found.

There was no available spots in the first tier lot so I had to go up a hill to a back lot. I hoped first there would be vacancy, and second that the snow would be plowed in the morning because I worried about the hill going down.

I was greeted warmly in the lobby by a lovely young woman, Zena who told me they did indeed have vacancy and she worked to find me the best rate. She asked if I was a Hilton Hhonors member, and I recalled signing up someplace and was glad since that was a better rate. I paid $115 and although it wasn't cheap, it was better than the Ritz Carlton and I wasn't going back out. I made a hot tea in the lobby, went up to my clean (small) room, took a warm bath, then watched TV comfy-cozy.

The storm was worse in the morning, but the hotel was well-staffed. The complimentary breakfast was nice especially the mini omelettes and fresh fruit. There was a very nice attendant who passed out mints and moist towelettes. I'm sorry I didn't get her name for this review.

I waited as long as possible to check out and the roads sanded. A gentleman named Sean helped me clear my car and made sure to alert the plow to re-do the parking lot because I was worried about all the declines. His concern for me and the other guests was exceptional.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Conway, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel is very clean, very quiet. The staff is excellent and the rooms are clean, fresh, and well equipped. We stay here because it is close to Iona College and NYC!!! Breakfast was very good and staff at breakfast was excellent. Hotel is very clean. Comfortable beds.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

If it weren't for 1 major issue my rating would have been 4. The staff is very friendly and mostly helpful. My HiltonHonors status wasn't mentioned, but that's not a big deal. The lobby and rooms are nice and in good condition.

My major issue was with the temperature control in the rooms. I arrived late on the 1st night and the extremely warm air hit me as I walked in my room. The temperature was 78 with the heat running. I changed the setting to cool and dropped the set temperature to 69 degrees to try to cool it down. Since it was late I went to bed expecting the room to cool down. I woke on top of my covers and found the room to only be 2 degrees cooler. On my way out that morning I asked what I could do as I could not sleep in such a warm room. The lady at the front desk pulled out a letter explaining the heating/cooling system & said I should have received it at checkin (did not receive it). She said that the letter stated that if you had trouble to contact the front desk to have them put your system on manual control. She said she'd have maintenance do that while I was out for the day.

When I came in that evening, the heat was blasting on high and the room was 86 degrees. Front desk sent maintenance, but he couldn't get it to a point where it would cool off. The person at the front moved my room at the suggestion of maintenance. I was already in my pajamas (much cooler than the sweater I was wearing when I got back to the room) so I packed up my things and moved rooms. While in the elevator a lady told me her room was so cold & wouldn't warm up. The new room was cool, but stayed at a constant temperature and I was able to sleep under the covers.

When checking out I stopped at the front desk to suggest getting the temperature control system fixed and was told he'd mention it. I explained that it was a frustrating experience to have an unpleasant sleep one night and then have to move rooms the next. He said that he was there and did me a courtesy of moving my room. Not even an apology for the situation--just that he took care of it by moving me.

Room Tip: If you're room is severly warm at check-in contact the front desk immediately. You cannot contro...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear MAB927

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience via TripAdvisor. We apologize for the temperature issue you encountered and the service you received in conjunction with the issue.We strive to make every guests' stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible and regret this was not your experience. We will work with our front desk as well as our maintenance staff to prevent similar situations and better handled if they do occur. We hope you will consider staying with us again so we might show you the quality hospitality you deserve should you return to our area in the future.

Michele Viapiano
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

This is a standard Hampton Inn like most others. The lobby is typical, but without much in the way of seating if you want to meet there. The breakfast area is larger than most. My room was #304 on the back side, away from the street. It was quiet and comfortable. The heating system seemed a bit difficult to regulate. I couldn't get the temperature to stay where I set it.

This hotel is built into the side of a steep hill. It has plenty of parking, but in several tiers of lots. It you can't manage stairs, try to get one of the spaces in the first lot as you come up the hill. That has the most level walk into the building.

The location is close to several restaurants in Elmsford and Tarrytown. The hotel is at the intersection of several highways so it is convenient for travellers.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Michele V, General Manager at Hampton Inn White Plains / Tarrytown, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear TinySwimmer

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I apologize for the difficulty you had with the heating unit.

We have been working hard to make the units easier to use.
I am glad our location was convenient for you.

Michele V
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

How welcoming does it feel to walk into the lobby toward the check-in counter and be greeted (always) with a warm, genuine smile and be addressed by your actual name??!!! THAT is exactly what happens at Hampton Inn, and specifically, by John Dias. If it was possible for the human body to bend backwards to make your stay the best possible, John would do it! And if that isn't enough, that kind of hospitality continues, including quiet, clean rooms (and a yummy breakfast kept clean and hot/cold by the ladies there as well). Yup.....we'll continue to stay at this hotel. There is no reason to search alternatives!

Room Tip: Haven't had a bad room yet..........try them out......you'll be pleased!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Bill T

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so glad that the staff brings you back.
I will share this with John Dias.

Michele V

Been to Hampton Inn White Plains / Tarrytown? Share your experiences!