“Hotel on a hill” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Elmsford
Cleveland, OH
“Hotel on a hill”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2007

My family is a big fan of the Hampton Inn chain (nice rooms, free breakfast) and this hotel doesn't disappoint. It's fairly typical, if not a little nicer than most if you're familiar with the chain. Front desk people were welcoming, the lobby is nice, rooms looked newly refurbished. I stayed in this hotel with my grandparents over thanksgiving, but I imagine most of the people who stay there are in town on business. There is a nice outdoor pool (I've also stayed here in the summer). It was a nice place to sit out and read.

The hotel could be "interesting" to access in a snow storm because it's built on a very steep hill. The property is pretty much built into the hillside. But you're not really hiking up or down to your room. I was with my grandparents who are not the most mobile people and we didn't have any trouble.

The hotel is within a ten minutes drive of Ardsley, Sleepy Hollow, Irvington and various Hudston river attractions. It's very easily accessible to the highway. If you enjoy Hampton Inns, this one will not disappoint.

• Liked — It's a good value. Nice lobby and rooms. And of course I like the free breakfast!
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2007

My fiance and I booked a room here for a friends wedding in the area. We decided not to stay at another nearby with off of our friends because we had a dift certificate for Hilton Hotels - bad idea!
We checked in after the ceremony so we were dressed in nice attire - we were stared at the entire time by the guy at the front desk. We went to the room and freshened up. The room was very nice, bed comfortable bathroom clean. I am in the hotel industry and this was pretty much up to par with what I am accustom to.
We got back from the reception about 1am. My fiance dropped me at the front door as it was freezing, and went to park. Upon walking into the lobby there were about 10 kids outside smoking with the front desk guy from earlier. I guess he invied his friends to party at the hotel for the night? As we were getting in the elevator the kids all came in and went into the banquet room, which was dark yet very loud. I guess they had thrown a party in the banquet room.
We got up to the room and could not wait to go to sleep only to find that there was also a party begin thrown in the rom next door. There must have been at least 5 people in there... yelling and being very rude! We called the front desk - he said he would call security and 30 minutes later - they were still in there yelling. We called backe the front desk and told them either get the people out or we were checking out and wanted all of our money back. next thing you know, someone knocked on he door... When they opened we heard them say "what did they say ___"... obviously, they knew the "security staff".
Needless to say we were so tired and at this point all we wanted to do was sleep, so we did stay. I did call corporate and all they said was call the hotel to complaint. I called the hotel directly and the GM was not there - Guess he never is... which is why his staff throws parties with their friends on Saturday nights.
Don't stay here if you want to sleep!

• Stayed November 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2007

If I didn't get a ~$70/day rate on priceline I would have reviewed this hotel much worse, I would not want to pay $100+ for this hotel, even considering that it would still be cheaper than many other hotels in the area.

When I arrived the check in person explained to me that even though I payed with priceline I still needed to "guarantee" my room using a credit card? They had given away my room but they did have a smaller room with a double bed left, and I could tell that the hotel was very full so I believed them (they could be just screwing priceline customers I guess)

There were police in the lobby and parked outside, some party had gotten out of hand they explained to me.

The room was clean but cramped and even the highest room in this hotel will only have a view of the highway mostly. Could hear neighbors easily. Bed felt like I was falling off, and really wasn't big enough to be shared. Their free internet wasn't working properly, their security code wasn't working. No remote for the TV until I grabbed one from the front desk, but it didn't work either.

overcrowded and mediocre breakfast, decent lobby area though with nice chairs and tables and TVs. People staying there that saturday night were really partying, probably normal for the hotel. Graffiti and beer bottles in the elevator, etc. The hotel staff were trying but couldn't keep up with this.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — screwed me on the room
  • Stayed October 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2007

I've stayed at about 10 Hamptons in the past little while. Compared to the others, this one was the biggest (7 floors), the most expensive ($209 for a queen room), and had the smallest rooms. I guess that's what you get for staying in Westchester!

While most Hamptons feel bright and clean, this one seems worn and in need of an update. The lobby is actually quite nice and room was fine, but other spaces such as hallways are slightly dingy. The front desk was busy, often with a line up. They normally had only one person working, so you'd get interrupted (often) when she had to answer the phone.

As I mentioned the queen rooms are small and the bathroom is especially tight. They have updated to the new comfy Hampton beds, which was nice. Wireless worked in the room with no problems, and there's a "business center" with one computer and a printer.

Word of warning about directions. First, the hotel is not easy to spot. The entrance is up a steep hill, so you'll need to keep your eyes peeled while driving on Rt. 119. That street is a divided road, so you may need to make a U-turn to access the hotel. (I never figured out if that's legal or not!) Also, Google Maps thinks the address is a mile east of where it actually is. The proper location is on the south side of Rt. 119 (Tarrytown-White Plains Rd. at Taxter Rd. If you're coming west on I-287, use exit #1, turn left onto 119, and the hotel will come up quickly on your right.

Next time I'm in Westchester I think I'll explore some other options instead of this hotel. It's fine, but not great. There's an Extended Stay America right next door, plus Marriott and Sheraton right down the road.

• Stayed September 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vienna, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2007

We stayed here for two nights. It was the best value for the money. Other nearby hotels charged a lot more. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, the staff was friendly enough, and breakfast was fine. Other reviewers who are complaining about the service should remember this is a 2-star tourist class hotel, not the Four Seasons. For what it is, I think it exceeds expectations.

Stayed August 2007
Quincy, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2007

My spouse, son and I stayed at this hotel for one night, just prior to a family function the next day. While not a full-service hotel, it suited our needs for a quick stay. The beds were comfortable, the room was clean, and we slept well. The included breakfast was fine, and offered coffee, tea, pastries, egg/sausage/English muffin, yogurt, cereal, milk -- just as we've seen at Holiday Inn Express and SpringHill Suites.

As to this particular hotel, one aspect I must point out is that the many steps out front may make it difficult for some to reach the hotel lobby from the parking lot. There is a ramp, although it takes a somewhat roundabout route.

The Hampton Inn White Plains/Tarrytown was decent for our stay, although I am more partial to the SpringHill Suites down the road, that offers a similar experience but larger rooms.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
nj
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2007

Just a word of caution to those of you who like to stay in hotels where the staff is dressed for sucess, do not stay here. It sets the tone of how the rest of your stay will be. When I walked into the hotel one young lady was dressed in what looked to be a uniform except it was untucked, looked like it had been worn while she slept and got up and came to work. The other gentlemen looked like he didn't care about his personal hygiene. I would think management would expect associates to present there best self while on the job to portray a good image of the hotel. I guess not. I don't know what management focuses on but as I traveled up the elevator and got off on the 6th floor there was a strong odor of marijuana coming from someone's room. Unless I missed the memo I didn't think pot had been legalized? Why this goes on in the hotel is beyond me? I had my young son with me and I was visiting my parents who had to deal with this during their leisure visit here. Not so pleasant. In addition to all the above mentioned as if this wasn't enough, the breakfast on one particular morning was cold and the breakfast attendant rushed us out because it was close to closing time. I guess they wanted to clear us out so they could go home! This was an awful stay. I hope management comes out of their office and starts inspecting these areas because the only thing that I can say that was perfect during my stay was the room!

Stayed May 2007

Been to Hampton Inn White Plains / Tarrytown? Share your experiences!