“Very nice” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Elmsford
Bala Cynwyd
“Very nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

Everything about this motel was just right. The room was clean and comfortable, and everything worked. The indoor pool was a good size, and in a heated room. The free breakfast was great, with everything you could want. There was a free computer in the lobby so I could check my email. It's a bit far from NYC, but could be an inexpensive base for visiting the city.
(The picture is not the view from the motel, but just a nice sunrise.)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Clifton Heights, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

I stayed here on my way home from vacation just to give myself a break from driving. Room was attractive and well-lit with a king-sized bed, a large, comfortable chair, a good sized desk, and free wireless internet. There was also a small refrigerator and a microwave. The front desk check in and out was efficient. Two moderately priced restaurants (Applebys and Executive Diner) were located in a mall just a short distance away. I paid just under $100 for the room and thought it was just fine for the price.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

Clogged Sinks. Couples arguing in the hall using vulgar language. Rat found in the pool so it had to be closed.... need I say more.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Elmsford hotels

Lee, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

I was in the Chappaqua area for some business over 10 days or so and decided to sample two different La Quinta motels, one in Elmsford, one in Armonk. The Elmsford property is the Good Twin, the other the Evil Twin.

At Elmsford, the manager was friendly and called after I was settled in to be sure everything was ok. Not necessary, but a nice touch. Breakfast was standard fare, but the attendants were helpful and attentive to detail.

Room - everything worked. What made this place stand out was that for a business traveler, who sometimes needs a hardware store, pizza shop, or incidentals, the location was great. Easy access on 9A to a host of other businesses, like Home Depot, supermarkets, etc., with an especially fine iconic New Jersey style diner (Executive Diner) down the road at the entrance to the Saw Mill Parkway.

Westchester is a fast-paced rural location that acts like a city due to proximity to the Big Apple. And yet, there is plenty of greenery and lakes. The easy access to parkways such as the Saw Mill and expressways such as the Cross-Westchester made getting around a breeze (albeit after much study of a map).

If you are in the Westchester area and looking for a better than average basic motel experience, La Quinta in Elmsford is the one. Elmsford itself is somewhat weatherbeaten, but even there, you have very good pizza places, banks, pharmacies and so on, so, like I said, for someone who needs incidentals like tools and hardware, this is a winning choice.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

Finding a place to stay in the New York City area is not difficult - well, finding a place to stay that is affordable, that's something different. Finding it in December, getting tricky. For my first night after arrival from Europe I was looking for a hotel outside New York, I had planned to take a short drive up on Hudson and through the countryside north of the city. Especially the area north of New York seems to have no more than two types of hotels at this time of year: those above 100$/night and those that are old, dirty or can't be found on the internet. After searching for a while I found the La Quinta in Elmsford, add a AAA rate and the price came down to the low 90s, which I accepted based on the 2008 reviews other travellers had posted.
I arrived in Elmsford on a cold and rainy night in December, completely tired from a long flight and some driving. The hotel was easy to find and made a good first impression - a nicely lit lobby, a restaurant next door. Together with my room key I received in information flyer putting me on notice that the restaurant next door wasn't in fact a restaurant (any more) - it was going to be torn down the following morning, the hotel was appologizing for any resulting noise. Okay, happens. Next thing I noticed was that the street-facing lobby is actually separated from the actual hotel rooms - the rooms are out back facing a parking lot and some commercial buildings. The good news: it is very quiet out back.
My room offered all basic amenities and was clean, nothing fancy though - which eventually makes it overpriced, but as I said earlier, it's hard to find an adequately priced room in the area. But so far, no complaints. However, I found the surroundings a lot less appealing. With the restaurant next door being torn down, I had to drive for more than a mile to find some fast-food restaurants and grab my dinner. On my way I found several closed down shops, although the neighborhood didn't look bad at all. The commercial buildings/warehouses behind the property looked well maintained and new, no complaints there. Overall, both the hotel and the area was empty, which makes this place even more overpriced...
I had a quiet night and left the next morning before 9, the construction work hadn't yet started. Daylight didn't change any of my impressions, neither did the drive back to the interstate. Because of the few people staying that night I cannot comment on the other travellers' complaints regarding noisy rooms.
In summary, this is a dependable property, there are no complaints - I would assume it isn't too hard to get a room here at any given time, but the price isn't adequate. With so few amenities, no restaurants nearby, I don't think they should be charging these prices. If you find something else, consider it - if you're considerung staying here, do so, you're not making any mistakes.

• Disliked — price, but this is a general problem in the NYC area
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
new jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

jan 3,2009 came to n.y. to attend my mothers funeral.this night the sink clogged and didn't drain till morning.Toilet had problems water would rise to the top.I was told when I made reservations that we had a small couch in our room.This couch is only a chair.I was at this hotel with my husband , my 7 month pregnant daughter and 2 1/2 yr grandson, Called front desk about this so called couch and was told that that is what they are told to tell people.This chair is not even close to a small love seat it is chair and no one in their right mind would call it a couch,...Night of Jan 4 sink was clogged again but did not drain this time,tub was clogged.called front desk told her we had to leave in 2 hrs for funeral home.man in and out we could not get dressed in our own room,I had to go to the restroom in hall downstairs to get dressed and then told desk what was still going on and all she could say was sorry so i insisted on another room and she agreed,but now we only have half hr to get to funeral home and we quicklly had to bring all our things to next room and rush out without time to do hair. this room was same as the last but the baathroom did work. Also to make my trip exciting was the hooker that keeps going to the back door to meet her hooker. Blondie has quite a business going on. I smoke so I would go outside to have a cig.and a few times I was approached by her trick and would have to tell him she was at the door waiting.It was very uncomfortable.Even my pregnant daughter was approached .By our third night a new hooker had come to stay.My mothers funeral was Tues Jan 6.I was going to stay that night also as we were so tired with all the running and emotions but chose to leave at 7 p.m. with sleet coming down just to get away from it all.Also the indoor pool was not open again,I have stayed in this hotels over the years to visit family it was never the greatest but I thought the remodeling and new owners wojuld have made a change but it is much worse than ever.The only remodeling I saw was the stairs to get to the front sesk changed to add an elevater.The rest of remodeling was paint. Never Ever again will I stay here, Oh and also you dont even have the resturant any more. this place sucks. Another thing,they also have a girl who shows up at night to sleep on the couch( yes a real couch in the hall ) and she leaves in the morning

• Liked — it is down the street from my mothers house
  • Disliked — hookers,no resturant,no couch or refrig.or mocro. poor plumbing,pool still not open
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Suburban Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2008

Elmsford is a small village of 5000 in Westchester County just off the I87 a little east of the Tappan Zee Bridge. We've stayed at this hotel a few times, because it's an easy drive to the college where my daughter attends, and also because it's cheaper than other good motels in the area. Elmsford itself is by no means a tourist destination, but it's within range of New York City and some Westchester County attractions and businesses. The La Quinta property is about a mile out of downtown Elmsford and not that easy to find. But being a mile from downtown is no disadvantage since, frankly, the downtown is quite unattractive. The motel is on a busy two-lane highway (US 9A) just as it leaves the town and enters the countryside. But the motel sits back from the road on a rise, and is quiet. The property was renovated in the spring of 2007 -- we know, because that's when we first stayed there. (It was being converted from a Wellesley Inn to a La Quinta Inn, and we got a good rate of about $70 because the workers were everywhere.) It has a spacious and nicely appointed lobby and breakfast area where they serve the La Quinta signature enhanced continental breakfast including you-bake-'em waffles. It also has a rather nice-looking indoor pool that we didn't use. The rooms themselves are reasonably spacious, pleasant, comfortable, solidly built, and very clean and well maintained. There's free wireless Internet connection. It was a little weak from our room; my Dell kept losing the signal though my daughter's Apple had no problem with it. There was no electrical outlet available for the laptop, though, except by unplugging something else. Unfortunately we happened to be put right next to a noisy electrical room, though the noise was mostly muffled and wasn't bothersome. Getting out from the parking lot to the road can be difficult, especially in rush hour, because of the traffic.

The price is reasonable for the area, but has been going up. At its conversion from a Wellesley Inn the property lost its AAA rating, and apparently still doesn't have it back, so rooms are now about $145, which is more than most La Quinta's nationally, but less than its peers in this area. But on the whole it's a nice, dependable, quiet, clean, friendly, well appointed property for a not unreasonable price for Westchester County, and I recommend it.

One nice story: we were late to breakfast one morning, but the staff volunteered without being asked to round up coffee, juice, fruit, bagels, and jams for us, which was very kind of them.

• Liked — Quiet, clean, comfortable, not too expensive
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Elmsford? Share your experiences!