“great persian food” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“great persian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

my girl friend and I went for dinner at this restaurant. They don't sell liquor of any kind but we are not drinkers and it did not matter. The food was excellent and so was the atmosphere.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

73% Recommend
Westchester, NY
“The best Persian restaurant in the New York City area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We recently tried another Persian restaurant in Manhattan that had been recommended by Persian friends (we are both Iranian ourselves) and still believe that Shiraz here in Westchester offers the best Persian food in the area. I usually order the kashke-badamjune, an eggplant dish on the appetizer menu, as well as their salad-e-olivieh (Persian potato salad with chicken and peas) and borani-esfanaj (yoghurt with spinach) - all of which are prepared perfectly here - as well as the kabob made with ground lamb, which is not as dry as the kebob from lamb or beef filet can sometimes be. The side dish of fresh herbs is a must, as no Persian meal is complete without some tangy herbs to add flavor to all of the items. Their "dough" (a yoghurt drink) is made in-house and is delicious. Best of all, this is a bring-your-own bottle establishment, which makes every meal a true bargain. Do not miss this place. We visit at least once a month.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tarrytown, NY
“No defined taste”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Perhaps I need to try it again, but I was not wowed. The pomegranate almond mixture didn't have much to it. Uniform texture, one flavor, a bit oily/greasy, and that is about it. The service was okay, the staff nice, but nothing warm to bring me back. I suppose I prefer the cleaner flavors of mediterranean cuisine. Perhaps the summer menu reflects that?

Fresh isn't a word I'd use to descibe anything there.

Next time, I will forgo proximity in hopes of finding a better dinner.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
White Plains, New York
“Nice decoration, bland food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Visited recently, but found the food expensive and bland. Suggest to enjoy some other Middle Eastern restaurant in Westchester.

Visited December 2012
New York, New York, United States
“Great food!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

The food was wonderful!! The ambiance was great!!!! I love the pile of rugs as you come in through the back entrance. It has a real homey feel to it. The appetizer is deceiving. It doesn't look as if you would get full but by the time we where almost through, we were quite full. We ordered three appetizers: BOORANI-E-SPINACH -Steamed fresh spinach, onions and garlic topped with yogurt, KASHK-E-BADEMJAN -Mashed eggplant, fried onion and garlic, special seasonings, garnished with dried yogurt, kashk, and HUMMUS - Mashed chick peas mixed with tahini sauce, garlic, lime juice, and olive oil. For my entree, I had the Cornish hem kebab with mixed rice and sour cherries....DELICIOUS!!!!! My husband had the Lamb chops, which he really enjoyed. The food was flavorful. To finish, I had the baklava and we had the Turkish coffee. Baklava too sweet for my taste but was good. I definitely would recommend this restaurant and I will definitely will be going back.

• Visited December 2012