“Locals eatery” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Italian, Mexican
Upstate, New York
“Locals eatery”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

While searching for an event venue, this was recommended. We went on a Friday night to check it out. It is a smallish place,which is likely a converted house/or business, broken up into three rooms. We were promptly seated in a very crowded dining room at the side, next to a large party with a screaming baby.

The menu is all over the place. The standard Friday Night Fish Fry, and a variety of fish dish specials; Some Italian specialties Veal Parm, stuffed Chicken parm, pork chops, pasta and very pricey Prime Rib The meal comes with salad, bread, and a side. I ordered the Veal Masala, companions ordered the fried haddock, and the lasagna. We also ordered some fried mozzarella sticks as an app.

We were promptly served by the best server I have had in years. A middle aged woman whose name I sadly failed to get, hustled. I ordered a martini, while companions had soft drinks. Salads appeared promptly. Dinner shortly thereafter. My veal masala was so sweet, it was not enjoyble. The fried haddock was huge, and was taken home. The lasagna was eaten. The macaroni and cheese side, went home.

It appears to be a popular place and a lot of locals must eat here. Perhaps if I had ordered another entree I would have enjoyed it more. I might give it another shot. Was just OK from my standpoint, but family enjoyed what they had, and as I said the service was outstanding.

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

70% Recommend
New York
“Great local restaurant - good alternative to chain eateries in the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

El Monte's is a great local restaurant. My boyfriend and I prefer to eat here rather than some of the chain restaurants that are nearby - we've found that you get larger portions, and more freshly prepared dishes, than you can get at Olive Garden, Red Lobster, and the like. The service is prompt and friendly, prices are affordable, and the menu options are great. On our most recent meal, my boyfriend and I both ordered off of the Early Bird menu, which I believe is available Sunday-Thursday until 7pm. You receive an entree, rolls/cornbread, soup, salad, and dessert for a great price. I enjoyed the chicken scampi over pasta, it was a good portion for the price. I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tioga, Pennsylvania, United States
“Brrrrrrrrrr”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

Another year for our company Christmas party with great food and privacy in the back building with unfortunate results . The heat had apparently gone out prier to us arriving with a feeble attempt to solve with a handful of space heaters and to make matters much worst our dinner started arriving at the tables at 9:00 . In years past i have seen kitchen fires (quickly extinguished ) upsetting some of the patrons and at least one other 9:00 serve time . If I was the owner of the company i work for , I wouldn't be willing to take a chance with my generosity and appreciation to my employees to be spent at this facility again .

• Visited December 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
“superb quality!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

travelling away on business i took a chance on a new place. ordered a dinner to go, went in to wait and was greeted by the most friendly, nicest people you could encounter away from home. the owner and bartender made me feel so welcomed. veal parm dinner was incredible as well as the portion and corn muffins. what a beautiful, delicious dinner!
cant wait to return.

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Elmira, New York
“Excellent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

great fish fry.. Super prime rib..nothing fancy but good quality food at a very fair price

• Visited January 2011