“Still good steaks but not what it used to be” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 94 Restaurants in Elmira
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Still good steaks but not what it used to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

It's been awhile since I've been there, but Moretti's used to be one of the best eateries in the Twin Tiers. While they still serve a top-notch filet, their landmark Italian food had gone downhill. I'm wondering if it's under new ownership? Back in the early to mid-1990s, this was flat out the best Italian restaurant in Elmira, N.Y. They don't make their marinara daily anymore, and their desserts seem like they come out of a box. I was disappointed but gave my visit and average review because the steak I had was ver good.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Pleasantville, New York
“Old Style Italian/ Good Find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Tonight I was invited to join friends at Moretti's. It was a thoroughly enjoyable evening with very traditional Italian cuisine from another era...nothing wrong with that! I ordered veal marsala. The portions here are generous - the way it used to be. My veal was bathed in a rich sauce along with mushrooms accompanied by spaghetti in a luscious, velvety marinara sauce. Not a morsel was left on my plate.
I ordered a Negroni preprandial. The bartender confessed he didn't know what that was. My fears of the worst were dispelled when he produced a perfect Negroni, after having consulted his guide.
My only complaints are in regard to both the salad and the bread. They could do better and should. The bread was a store bought "ho-hum" white loaf. Just get some decent bread that any Italian would recognize as bread. The salad was mostly iceberg lettuce. Bump it up a bit - different greens & veggies.
I loved the decor - retro, homey and warm - right out of the movie "Goodfellas." Who needs another loud, hard surfaced, halogen lit, cacophonous cavern when you're trying to dine with friend? It was like stepping back into 1960, in the best sense, when every Italian restaurant in your memory looked like this. Go see for yourself.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
corning
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I hate to submit bad reviews...and I've put this one off because I feel bad especially since this is a local restaurant and has always been known as one of "the" restaurants to go to for an outstanding meal and/or special occasions.
Weeeelllll....not so much...The restaurant itself is very dim and cold (out dated comes to mind). I ordered the crab stuffed sole which came with a tossed salad and I ordered a baked potato on the side...My boyfriend ordered the filet minon with tossed salad and peas. The salads consisted of iceberg lettuce 2 cherry tomatoes and about a cup of dressing...ick. When the meal finally came out - I was not impressed - the fish was undercooked and the crab stuffing was really mushy (honestly it had the consistency of a frozen meal that you throw in the microwave). His filet was ok...it wasnt the best we've had but it was ok...the side of peas was a can of peas that were dumped into a side dish and microwaved (I think literally). Did I mention that neither of us ordered drinks (we both had water with our meal), and we decided to forego dessert. When the bill came - it was over $60.00. My boyfriend called back down to the restaurant to confirm the price for the filet minon and it is currently $38.95. I would have to do some serious hunting to find another restaurant in this area that charges that much for a filet.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Beware”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We ordered pizza for the kids ahead of time since it takes longer than an ordinary meal, or so we thought. The pizza was ready soon after our arrival. We ordered our meals, spaghetti with meat sauce, and some salads. The kids were done with their salads and pizza and still no spaghetti. The server was doing her best but there is something wrong in the kitchen if, as the server indicated, they ran out of spaghetti. We finally took it to go and it was not very good; also, quite expensive for spaghetti. I have gone to this restaurant all my life and it is sad to see it go downhill. It needs some TLC. I will continue to order pizza and bring it home but it will be a long time before I go to the restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Terrible that was the last time!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Got in and nodody talked to us until 10 min later!they walked passed us noumerous times!finaly we sit down and we get our food,it was like children portions my girlfriends veal parm looked like a small pancake my chicken parm one whole piece and the other was cut in half!it reminded me the army days!the spag sides both cold dry and with 2 tbps of sauce!the salads had 1 chery tomato thats it!50$ dinner and no refill on sofa either!we got rubbed for the last time thank god for libs atleast you wont leave hungry!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere