“worst experience in my life” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Q New York
76-01 Queens Blvd, Elmhurst, NY 11373 (Formerly Days Inn Elmhurst)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elmhurst
Chicago, Illinois
“worst experience in my life”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

the smallest room ever((((( dirty, bad sheets with the hols from cigar, disgusting, i post some photo of the furniture you can see your self. bad attitude from some, some reception, i don't feel self. i guess may be they give room for a hour or two, to rent..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Overview:

If you are a single traveller or a budget-concious couple, this is a suitable place to stay. The facility is small, new and kept clean. Hotel Q is located off Astoria Blvd, but is an easy and safe walk to the electic and bustling neighborhood of Jackson Heights-Roosevelt. The staff can be curt, but it's not as if you will be vacationing with them during your stay.

Are you looking for an all-out romantic getaway or traveling as a family? Sorry, this place is not for you. Find out why ahead.

Rooms:

The rooms are clean, yet confined. A friend and I booked a double bed, and though I had room to lay my one piece of baggae down, we barely had any space to walk around. The bed is comfortable and the pillows are excellent. You only recieve a sheet and think fleece blanket to keep warm at night. Extra blankets are availabe at the front desk based on a first-come, first-served basis. The television is a nice-sized, '42 inch flatscreen. The bathroom is clean and plentifully stocked. The closet is small and there is a desk in the room.

Ammenities:

Aside from the television and toiletries aforementioned, Hotel Q is basic in comparison to mainstream chains. This is one of the reasons they are able to keep rates lower than others. There is no airport or area shuttle service, and continental breakfast is store-bought pastries, cereal and coffee - no juice. The business center consists of one computer, which is barely used, and printing must be done via the front desk. The fitness center consists of a treadmill, bike machine and an eliptical.

Neighborhood:

Hotel Q is situated on the busy Astoria Blvd in Queens. It's just a ten minute walk from the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt subway station & neighborhood. If you are used to city life, then the neighborhood will not be a bother to you. If you are a suburban dweller or a first-time New Yorker, then you may get nervous by your surroundings. !!NOT.TO.WORRY!! THE NEIGHBORHOOD IS SAFE!! Instead of being babied with the tourist traps and a bunch of Applebee's and Sunglass Huts found in Manhattan, you will know how blue-collar New Yorkers truly live and play.

The Jackson Heights, which is mainly a strip along Roosevelt Ave, is a neighborhood full of Asian and Hispanic eateries, ranging from gritty & delicious food stands to family or intimate restaurants. Many of these places are open until 2 am or later. There are two Chase banks and several others in the neighborhood, along with a post office and drug store. And, of course, there is the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt subway Station.

How To Get There:

Parking is limited - EXTREMELY LIMITED. There are less than 20 spaces. So it is wise to ditch the car, get a MetroCard and take the subway instead. Hotel Q is a ten minute walk away from Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Station. The most traveled subway line is the #7, which starts at Times Square and takes less than 30 minutes to reach Jackson Heights. There's also the E-train, which can be caught at Penn station. Additionally, there are trains: #F, #M & #R. All of these services can be caught in Manahattan.

If you are travelling from LaGaurdia, you can hop bus #Q33. It runs every 10-15 minutes from the early morning to the late evening daily. The bus will take you to Jackson Heights. Travel time is approximately 20 minutes.

If you are staying for 3 days or more in NYC, get a 7-day Metrocard pass from any of the subway station vending machines. It's only $30 and it gives you unlimited riding on all subway trains and buses. If you don't, then you will have to pay $2.25 per ride.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a week in September 2012.

We had a standard Queen room. It's extremely small - the smallest hotel room we've ever stayed in. We didn't unpack our suitcases because of this, and even then, there was no room for suitcases on the floor without tripping all over them. Our room had a huge TV but it wasn't digital and the picture was spotty at best. WiFi connectivity on the third floor was terrible. The connection kept dropping out. The bathroom is very good, and the shower in particular is excellent. One major downfall was the bed. One night the sheets came untucked overnight, and there were stains on the mattress, which wasn't pleasant.

The hotel staff's attitude was very variable. Some were extremely helpful, and others the opposite. They serve a complimentary breakfast every morning, containing cereal, waffles, toast, coffee, and orange juice. They also have a fitness room and limited laundry facilities (one washer and one drier, and you need your own detergent).

They have car parking but too few spaces for the number of rooms. You may be lucky and get a space, but other times you may find yourself parking on the road.

The subway station is about a twenty-minute walk from the hotel, and you can get the number 7 into the city.

The actual area the hotel's in isn't the nicest. We didn't particularly feel safe walking back from the subway station at night. There are gangs of kids around and shoes hanging from telephone lines.

We probably wouldn't stay there again. If you book the hotel on a budget, what you get for your money isn't terrible, and if you have a short stay in New York it's worth considering. But if we visited New York again, we'd choose a different hotel, even if we had to pay slightly more.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SUFFOLK COUNTY NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I reserved a suite for the night to get ready for my birthday party at a lounge near by, upon arriving at the hotel I was met by a man in the front desk, as soon as I walked in I noticed his attitude was extremely nasty. I said hello and he barely said a word, he asked if I had a reservation and I said yes, asked for my last name and I gave it to him. I had written on their special request page on-line if they would do anything special since it was my birthday so as soon as he pulled me up in his system he says "we don't do decorations they are not free, I said ok. He then repeated the same thing 4 times to the extent that I said ok I get it. I just need to check-in, I asked if everything was okay because he was giving me an attitude and he lost it. He starts yelling saying that I don't need to stay there and that he was canceling my reservation, my friend who was with me asked why he was getting so out of control and he got up and said get out right now. I asked the man what his problem was and that we were going to leave, but I needed to confirm I wasn't being charged. He stood up and grabbed a bottle and threaten to throw it at us. As we started to exit because we felt very threatened he started to run out from behind the counter, yelling get off my property. I asked for the manager and he said he is the one in charge. I work in a very service oriented environment and am completely appalled that anyone would ever be so disrespectful especially when your paying a whopping $235.oo to stay one night. Someone needs to seriously look in to this. I called today to speak with a manager and he answered the phone and said there was no manager there and that he didn't need to tell me anything. I will not stop until I speak to the top person in charge, I will not stop until this is rectified. Due to this issue he ruined my birthday because I could not find anywhere to stay with all hotels being booked by Hurricane Sandy victims. This was the worst experience I have ever had in my life.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

This hotel seems to be family run, which is USUALLY a good thing. However, when the family is all extremely unpleasant, mean, rude and hates people...its not a good thing.
#1 - Upon first walking in I had trouble getting the door open and bringing my suitcase in. The young man a few feet away from me at the front desk didn't budge. He offered absolutely no help. You would think he would at least hold the door open since there were no other customers. After struggling, I got to him and didn't even get a hello. His face was miserable and I felt like he hated me (and all human beings.) While I was checking in with mr. Miserable he took a phone call and was rolling his eyes and being nasty to the customer that he was on the phone with.
#2 - hotel is updated. That's one of the only upside.
#3 - The mattress cover and sheets were stained. Very disgusting brown stains.
#4- called up the frnt desk (spoke to a different man then at first check in), asked for a blanket (bc the one on the bed was paper thin.) Conversation went like this "You already have a blanket." I said "can I have another one?" He said "Call back tomorrow, housekeeping is not here right now." Really, you can't get your guest a blanket? You give your guest an attitude for asking for a blanket?
#5 - sink stopped up...called desk for help...young lady says "oh let me see about that." Never heard back from her. Called the next day and was told "oh the handy man is not here. Call back tommorow." Really? No handyman? No housekeeping.
#6- continental breakfast is disgusting. Its really really bad. Cold fake egg discs, watery coffee, things that should be refrigerated are not, waffle batte tastes like chemicals...and the worst part is the lady who takes care of the breakfast area is another miserable employee. She hates people too. Hellos are ignored by her as well. You are made to feel like a nuissance by every employee.
#7- cleaning staff...very very light cleaning...and they don't come every day. Bathroom left dirty except for wiping of sink. Carpets almost never vacuumed if at all.
#8 parking lot very small but at least they have one.
#9 - told the front desk that I was checking out bc of bad service and he said "ok"...they just do not care at all about customer service.
There's plenty more to say about the mean staff but I can go on forever. Bottom line...hotel Q owners/staff need to learn the meaning of hospitality. They are the most miserable people I've ever met. For their prices, you can find a place that wants your business.

• Stayed November 2012
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

The place is nice and decent. Small rooms and have everything you need. Is nice in general. The location is just on the side of a main street of queens. Maybe a little far away from the city but again. The place is nice, quiet and clean.

• Stayed November 2012
Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Overall our experience was good; staff was friendly, clean room, towels were changed daily, big flat screen, free wifi, hotel relatively quiet (depending on your room neighbours)

We had breakfast included; I found it very poor, the only things that you could eat were cereals, eggs, pancakes, some philadelphia cheese cream, peanut butter and some jelly. Juice,coffee, tea and milk were also included. No vegetables, fruits or any other things to choose from, so if you're used to any kind of decent breakfast served in the european hotels you will find this not so satisfying.

Things that I did not like: towels were changed daily but several times I found hair on them (female long hair) so there was no chance that was from my head :)) ; walls were too thin so you could easly hear other people talking in other rooms; a train/subway track was near the hotel so sometimes the walls were shaking - the noise was not so bothering; found an empty bottle of Corona near the bed; WiFi was getting very slow during the evening

The subway station was at aproximately 10 minutes of walking (Elmhurst/Jackson Hts & Roosevelt Av)

Regarding the room pricing I found it kind of expensive, it cost 140$ / night (tax included). I know it's New York but taking into consideration that the hotel was far from all the main attractions the price could go a little bit lower. Comparing with European hotels that I've visited, at this price range you can EASILY find better services - even 4-5* hotels.

Room Tip: Dont choose the ground floor rooms