“Okay on a Budget” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Q New York

You added Hotel Q New York to your Saves list
Hotel Q New York
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   76-01 Queens Blvd, Elmhurst, NY 11373 (Formerly Days Inn Elmhurst)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Call/Click for Best Price
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elmhurst
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Okay on a Budget”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a week in September 2012.

We had a standard Queen room. It's extremely small - the smallest hotel room we've ever stayed in. We didn't unpack our suitcases because of this, and even then, there was no room for suitcases on the floor without tripping all over them. Our room had a huge TV but it wasn't digital and the picture was spotty at best. WiFi connectivity on the third floor was terrible. The connection kept dropping out. The bathroom is very good, and the shower in particular is excellent. One major downfall was the bed. One night the sheets came untucked overnight, and there were stains on the mattress, which wasn't pleasant.

The hotel staff's attitude was very variable. Some were extremely helpful, and others the opposite. They serve a complimentary breakfast every morning, containing cereal, waffles, toast, coffee, and orange juice. They also have a fitness room and limited laundry facilities (one washer and one drier, and you need your own detergent).

They have car parking but too few spaces for the number of rooms. You may be lucky and get a space, but other times you may find yourself parking on the road.

The subway station is about a twenty-minute walk from the hotel, and you can get the number 7 into the city.

The actual area the hotel's in isn't the nicest. We didn't particularly feel safe walking back from the subway station at night. There are gangs of kids around and shoes hanging from telephone lines.

We probably wouldn't stay there again. If you book the hotel on a budget, what you get for your money isn't terrible, and if you have a short stay in New York it's worth considering. But if we visited New York again, we'd choose a different hotel, even if we had to pay slightly more.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
SUFFOLK COUNTY NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I reserved a suite for the night to get ready for my birthday party at a lounge near by, upon arriving at the hotel I was met by a man in the front desk, as soon as I walked in I noticed his attitude was extremely nasty. I said hello and he barely said a word, he asked if I had a reservation and I said yes, asked for my last name and I gave it to him. I had written on their special request page on-line if they would do anything special since it was my birthday so as soon as he pulled me up in his system he says "we don't do decorations they are not free, I said ok. He then repeated the same thing 4 times to the extent that I said ok I get it. I just need to check-in, I asked if everything was okay because he was giving me an attitude and he lost it. He starts yelling saying that I don't need to stay there and that he was canceling my reservation, my friend who was with me asked why he was getting so out of control and he got up and said get out right now. I asked the man what his problem was and that we were going to leave, but I needed to confirm I wasn't being charged. He stood up and grabbed a bottle and threaten to throw it at us. As we started to exit because we felt very threatened he started to run out from behind the counter, yelling get off my property. I asked for the manager and he said he is the one in charge. I work in a very service oriented environment and am completely appalled that anyone would ever be so disrespectful especially when your paying a whopping $235.oo to stay one night. Someone needs to seriously look in to this. I called today to speak with a manager and he answered the phone and said there was no manager there and that he didn't need to tell me anything. I will not stop until I speak to the top person in charge, I will not stop until this is rectified. Due to this issue he ruined my birthday because I could not find anywhere to stay with all hotels being booked by Hurricane Sandy victims. This was the worst experience I have ever had in my life.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

This hotel seems to be family run, which is USUALLY a good thing. However, when the family is all extremely unpleasant, mean, rude and hates people...its not a good thing.
#1 - Upon first walking in I had trouble getting the door open and bringing my suitcase in. The young man a few feet away from me at the front desk didn't budge. He offered absolutely no help. You would think he would at least hold the door open since there were no other customers. After struggling, I got to him and didn't even get a hello. His face was miserable and I felt like he hated me (and all human beings.) While I was checking in with mr. Miserable he took a phone call and was rolling his eyes and being nasty to the customer that he was on the phone with.
#2 - hotel is updated. That's one of the only upside.
#3 - The mattress cover and sheets were stained. Very disgusting brown stains.
#4- called up the frnt desk (spoke to a different man then at first check in), asked for a blanket (bc the one on the bed was paper thin.) Conversation went like this "You already have a blanket." I said "can I have another one?" He said "Call back tomorrow, housekeeping is not here right now." Really, you can't get your guest a blanket? You give your guest an attitude for asking for a blanket?
#5 - sink stopped up...called desk for help...young lady says "oh let me see about that." Never heard back from her. Called the next day and was told "oh the handy man is not here. Call back tommorow." Really? No handyman? No housekeeping.
#6- continental breakfast is disgusting. Its really really bad. Cold fake egg discs, watery coffee, things that should be refrigerated are not, waffle batte tastes like chemicals...and the worst part is the lady who takes care of the breakfast area is another miserable employee. She hates people too. Hellos are ignored by her as well. You are made to feel like a nuissance by every employee.
#7- cleaning staff...very very light cleaning...and they don't come every day. Bathroom left dirty except for wiping of sink. Carpets almost never vacuumed if at all.
#8 parking lot very small but at least they have one.
#9 - told the front desk that I was checking out bc of bad service and he said "ok"...they just do not care at all about customer service.
There's plenty more to say about the mean staff but I can go on forever. Bottom line...hotel Q owners/staff need to learn the meaning of hospitality. They are the most miserable people I've ever met. For their prices, you can find a place that wants your business.

• Stayed November 2012
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The place is nice and decent. Small rooms and have everything you need. Is nice in general. The location is just on the side of a main street of queens. Maybe a little far away from the city but again. The place is nice, quiet and clean.

• Stayed November 2012
Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Overall our experience was good; staff was friendly, clean room, towels were changed daily, big flat screen, free wifi, hotel relatively quiet (depending on your room neighbours)

We had breakfast included; I found it very poor, the only things that you could eat were cereals, eggs, pancakes, some philadelphia cheese cream, peanut butter and some jelly. Juice,coffee, tea and milk were also included. No vegetables, fruits or any other things to choose from, so if you're used to any kind of decent breakfast served in the european hotels you will find this not so satisfying.

Things that I did not like: towels were changed daily but several times I found hair on them (female long hair) so there was no chance that was from my head :)) ; walls were too thin so you could easly hear other people talking in other rooms; a train/subway track was near the hotel so sometimes the walls were shaking - the noise was not so bothering; found an empty bottle of Corona near the bed; WiFi was getting very slow during the evening

The subway station was at aproximately 10 minutes of walking (Elmhurst/Jackson Hts & Roosevelt Av)

Regarding the room pricing I found it kind of expensive, it cost 140$ / night (tax included). I know it's New York but taking into consideration that the hotel was far from all the main attractions the price could go a little bit lower. Comparing with European hotels that I've visited, at this price range you can EASILY find better services - even 4-5* hotels.

Room Tip: Dont choose the ground floor rooms
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We got to New York late and when I got to the room I was surprised how neat the room is. It's small but I thought everything was cleaned. All the windows were shut and not one time did I opened the windows. I turned on the air conditioning all night. Anyway, the next
morning before we checked out. My son peeped into the I've bucket. He was like mommy there's a bug in there! I looked in it and there sure was a disgusting centipede looking bug in there. So, I took a picture and decided to show the front desk clerk so he can tell housekeeping to get rid of it for the next guest. You know because the next guest may not be nice as I am. Anyway, he cut me off as I was showing him the picture and asked if I opened the windows. I was like no. He then continued to say that If opened the windows thats how the bug got in. First off, I did not open any windows and second you never make the customer feel like its their fault. NEVER. I've been in the hotel business and I know that a major no-no. I told him look I'm just showing you this picture so you can tell housekeeping to get rid of it. The bug did not bother me. He cut me off again saying yeah yeah and mumbled something. Okay, that's one of the worse customer service ever. He was rude and very brash and not friendly. He seemed unhappy when I went up to the front desk. I have no idea what his name is because they did not change out the manager on duty sign from the night before. I can you all that he's a bit heavy set and wears glasses. Look I was being nice...like I said the next guest may not be and will probably demand a free night stay.

• Stayed August 2012
Queens, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Our overall experience at your hotel has been excellent, so far. The cleanliness, amenities, accessibility to stores and transportation have been great, but just wanted to comment on one of your staff for now.
Every time we visit your hotel, we are always greeted by your friendly front desk person, Jay. We were very impressed by his professionalism, and yet he is very personable and helpful. We asked if he was the manager, or even the owner of the hotel when we first met him, because he was very attentive to the guests' needs, and thoughtful toward the other employees, which reflects in the camaraderie among the staff. When we told him this, he said that he received an excellent training from his General Manager, Mr. Mark Patel, who, not only gave him the tools to do his job, but also taught him the value of treating the guests w/ warmth and respect. It shows that this attitude starts at the top!
We have been to several hotels in the area, but none of the front desk clerks have made the impression that Jay has made to us. Most of them are steely cold, and totally business-like, which made us want to turn around and walk out of the facility ASAP! The function of the hotel front desk is to represent the facility, and Jay does that excellently!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Q New York? Share your experiences!