“Beautiful Place to Stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Black Dog Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ellicottville
Black Dog Lodge
7975 Rt. 219, Ellicottville, NY 14731   |
West Bend, Wisconsin
“Beautiful Place to Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

My wife and I recently spent two wonderful nights at the Black Dog Lodge. It was our first time in the area, and we had left the wine country for a visit to Amish New York. We did our research and chose the PERFECT place. Clean, warm, friendly, and quiet...just the kind of place we prefer to stay. Top that off with a gourmet breakfast and a visit from a 6 week old black lab puppy and the stay was perfect.

Thanks!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

We stayed at the Black Dog, and I set it all up. I did not know what to expect since this was our first time doing this. I have heard bad things from people that have gone to a B&B. I can tell you right away, ours was a great experience. Our room was amazing with a jacuzzi tub and fireplace and one of most comfy beds I have ever been in. The other guests were great as well. In the morning Rick and Linda were fun and wonderful hosts. They gave great consiferation to my wives food requests. My wife and I will definately be back. Oh one other thing, Mac and Maggie are great and very friendly.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Buffalo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

I took my cousin to Ellicottville for a girls weekend for her 40th birthday. She had stayed at a few B & B's prior to this excursion, and was not really comfortable with them. She was leary at first of staying in another B & B, but after our experience at the Black Lodge, sheis now a B&B enthusiast!

First off, the property is nestled in a beautiful countryside location, and immaculately maintained. The house is meticulously clean, but warm and inviting with a respectable, appealing decor. I personally don't like the traditional B&B interior desings consisting of floral wallpaper, musty antiques, and lace everywhere, so I truly appreciated that the Black Dog wasn't in that category.

Linda, one of the owners, was kind, down to earth, a fabulous chef, and more accomodating than any host I have ever encountered at any other B&B. I had asked Linda about the one bad review on trip advisor referring to the Dog House and the musty smell. Linda informed me that she had offered a free gourmet breakfast to that guest as well as a gift cert for her to return another time, which was not included in that guests review.

Having been showered with graciousness by Linda as a host who would bend over backwards to please her guests, I just don't believe this person would be treated in a negative way. In fact, I think that unhappy guest represents the small percentage of people who enjoy complaining, and cannot be pleased no matter what.

Being allowed to have your dog with you is a luxury most places don't offer; and having a host who is a dog lover and overly accomodating is a nice added bonus. I would like to make an annual trek back to the Black Dog Lodge, and next time I just might bring my dog and stay in the Dog House.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

As a long time B&B lover (US, Canada and Britain), it is the best experience I've ever had staying in a B&B. The Black Dog is comfortable and extremely well kept, the grounds are gorgeous, the food is terrific and imaginitive.

Linda and Rick are outgoing, fun, and accommodating...the house is set up to walk in, take your shoes off and relax...and if you need them, they are only a phone call away. They gave us great advice on restaurants and local attractions, and several good laughs!

I have a couple of food allergies which I mentioned during our first stay, and ever since I have had special portions provided if the menu included those items - how nice is that!
We felt like we were coming to our own weekend getaway...and yes, we have been back several times since, and can't say enough about the Black Dog!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

Once again we had a great stay. Loved the homey feel and Mac and Maggie not to mention owner Linda. We felt comfy with Debbie also. Really liked her and hit it off with her too. It's like we have known them our whole life. Won't stay any place else but at the Black Dog B&B. Can't wait to go back!!!!! Dave and Denise Buchele.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

Had a great time in Ellicottville and it all started at the Black Dog Lodge. Rick & Linda were very hospitable and helpful. They recommended some great restaurants and even let their dog Mac lead us on a snow shoe hike through their beautiful property! The breakfast was amazing and we truly enjoyed the fireplace in the gathering room. Can't wait to go back soon!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
west seneca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

We stayed from a Sunday to a monday and the place is beautiful, very well maintained and the rooms are gorgeous many to choose from and all the anemities of home. We stayed in the master suite which was cozy but yet super spacious heater floors in bathroom with jacuzzi tub, walk in closets, gas fire places, full kitchen, direct tv, then you have a gathering room where all guests can mingle, a pond out back and trails if your a hiker, gas grill you can barbeque on a wrap around porch with chairs for just relaxing. Had never been to a bed and breakfast before and was much more than I imagined. Linda the owner cooked breakfast for us in the morning. We had fresh fruit then kielbasa and stuffed croissants that we awesome, and our conversation was genuine and very relaxing. Would give this place a thumbs up for sure a perfect 10 in all aspects of the all around stay. We also had a hot tub out back and private porch, a perfect night to be out under the stars. We will definately go back and stay again, as we became engaged there and now it is our little piece of heaven away from home. Paul and Laurie... West Seneca NY

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Black Dog Lodge? Share your experiences!