“Terrible place, just awful, stay away” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Kelly House Lodge

Kelly House Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ellicottville
Kelly House Lodge
You added Kelly House Lodge to your Saves list
39 E Washington St, Ellicottville, NY 14731   |
Toronto, Canada
“Terrible place, just awful, stay away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

Probably best to do this in point form...
1) We were ripped off when we got there, the manager charged me MORE than what was on my booking resevation, she stated that their online system wasn't working correctly. I almost believed her...except that I didn't book online! I booked over the phone (with her no less) and she must have entered my info into their system and she refused to honour what my reservation stated was the cost of the room.
2) Room was NOT what was described on their website. It was supposed to have a pullout couch but had a regular couch instead. The manager stated that the old couch got infested with mice (!!) and had to be removed. When I stated that there weren't enough beds for our family she just shrugged.
3) The room smelled terrible! My wife called it a stench, not a "smell".
4) No towels or soap provided, we had to use our own.
5) Found a mouse trap (empty, thank God) and a thick layer of dust and mouse droppings under the bed. Yuk!
6) Toilet and shower were stained and generally filthy and would you believe the bathroom was carpeted? It was just BLACK around the toilet (that may explain the smell). Disgusting.
7) Wallpaper peeling off the wall in the bathroom, nails pounded into the walls to act as hooks, did I mention the smell?
8) It was so bad we left after one night even though we had paid for two...found a nice hotel in Buffalo (it was worth the drive). That was $300 wasted. DO NOT STAY AT KELLY HOUSE! The place is for sale and the manager doesn't give a rip about making your stay a decent one. It's sad, apparently the place used to be much better.
A quick message to Kelly House: you are not fooling anyone by posting "10 out of 10; super duper awesome place to stay" ratings on yourself...no one could come away from Kelly House without experiencing at least some of what happened to us. Show some class and try to fix what is broken instead. Anyone interested in buying your property will no doubt search the web and get a better idea of what it is really like and creating self-promoting postings only makes you look worse

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Solo
Oakville, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

My husband and I came to Ellicottville for a ski weekend. We stayed at the Kelly House Lodge mainly because everything else was booked up. The place really is more like a hostel than a hotel. In fact it reminded me of a few places we stayed in while backpacking in Europe x number of years ago. For what it was, it was fine, but it wasn't what we were looking for. And for what it was, the price was outrageous. The room was as basic as a room could be. It was little more than a bed and a bathroom. If you are planning to stay here, keep in mind that there is no phone, no cable, no clock/radio, no coffeemaker, no cups etc and no toiletries (including soap), so you need to bring your own stuff. Thankfully, there were towels, because we didn't think to bring any.

As I said, we weren't looking for a hostel so it was disappointing. But if that's what you are looking for, the rooms are old and simple but clean.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Cheektowaga, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

I was one of the "large group" that was staying at Kelly House on New Years. I would like to clarify some point that were made in his review. My friends and I have been staying at Kelly House Lodge for over eight years and we have reservations already made for future dates. Yes, we were a large group but we did not have our party in the lodge as the review states. Anyone who is a guest of Kelly House can sit in the living room to watch TV or a movie and socialize and go out on the porch. There are no rules that say you have to stay in your room when you are at Kelly House. We did have some coolers out on the porch but as stated this was New Year's and we wanted to keep our beverages cold. The open container law means that you can not walk around town with an open container. This does not apply to private property of which Kelly House Lodge is. The Lodge has the sign posted as a courtesy to their guests so they know this law before they walk into town. Any empties that we or other guests might have left were cleaned up first thing in the morning. On new Year's Eve our group went into town around 9:00 pm. I don't know what party he is talking about that went on all night because I was in bed by 1:00 am and didn't hear anything until the next morning when I heard some loud thumping coming from upstairs and no I was not drunk and passed out. The thumping I found out was some small children staying in the lodge. I'm not sure what they were doing but it sounded like they were bouncing off the walls and the beds. If his family was hungry and they did not want to wait until 10:00 am there were plenty of restaurants that they could go to in town. Breakfast is not included in the price of the room so they had no reason they had to stay and wait. As mentioned, the weather was warmer than expected and raining so the slopes were sloppy and skiing I'm sure wasn't great. I'm not sure if this family came down to ski or not but as you can tell you really didn't want to be outside if you didn't have to so maybe this was their way out of the Lodge.
To the comment that we were socializing the next day at the lodge - what's wrong with that? As I mentioned we have been coming down for years and of course we have gotten to know everyone there. In fact, every time we stay there we meet new people and we all get along fine. I saw this man and his two children once that morning when they came in from outside and went directly to their room and then again when they came to the breakfast area to complain.
As to his comment about "the people seemed nice enough during the day but who knows who would show up the next night and how drunk they would get" and his comment about "It's not unheard of for drunk people to head toward the wrong room at the end of the night". I resent both comments. I am in my mid-50's and most of our group is around that age so we are not teenagers and do not party to get drunk. This was New Year's Eve and of course we had a few drinks but no one was out of control or screaming or yelling. There are locks on all of the rooms so if he locked his door there is no way someone could walk in his room. I think this family just wanted to get out of their reservations.
The Kelly House is a small business and they depend on their rooms being filled. I'm sure they had calls up to New Year's Eve but they could not rent this room because this family booked it so if they did not charge him they would be out of two nights rent. As far as the comment about not being kid friendly - during the holidays I know they had a Breakfast with Santa and they have movies to watch that are kid friendly and games in the living room.
Please don't let one review stop you from coming to the Kelly House Lodge. It is a great place, within walking distance from town and a good value. The owners care deeply about Kelly House and the current management is doing a good job. I highly recommend staying at Kelly House Lodge.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Lackawanna, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

I have stayed at the Kelly House Lodge for many occasions and have always been satisfied with my stay. The rooms are comfy, clean and the management is always helpful if anything is needed.

This past New Year's Eve - 2010, I met a bunch of people who enjoy each others company . Yes, we had left a few beverages outside to stay cold, no harm being done. Work up the next morning to a rude man with out of control children. They were causing a ruckus and refusing to pay. What a great example to set for his children. The day was rainy and not good for skiing so I think he was looking for an excuse to get out and save money (Cheapo). What a way to teach your kids how to act!

I would definitly recommend this location for a wonderful time in Ellicottville. Our tiomes are always memorable and guests that we don't know usually end up being our friends.
We've already booked for future stays too!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
ORCHARD PARK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

I have stayed at the Kelly House Lodge on many occasions and have always been pleased. The rooms are comfy, clean and the management is always helpful.
We had a group stay there this past New Year's Eve - 2010. We had all of the rooms booked for our group but apparently there was one room that had been cancelled. We went out on New Year's Eve and remained out until after the celebration at midnight. Upon our return to the lodge, we arrived, talked for a short while and went to bed. No loud party and I might mention, most of use are well over 40 years old and professionals.
Early in the morning we heard banging and jumping from a room above. Apparently a family arrived while we were out the previous night - small children who were running around, etc. We had no idea that anyone but our group was staying there.
The family seemed to leave in a huff on New Year's morning and actually took pictures of our liquid refreshments that we had on the deck (to stay cold). He said something about an "open container law" - He may not know that this does not apply to private property. Having a drink on the deck of the lodge is certainly not a law-breaker.
The weather was horrible - rain, rain and ice. I feel that this unhappy family left because of the weather and terrible skiing conditions, rather than because of our group! I must add also - we had no party at the lodge. We were all out in town.
Also - breakfast would be served in many of the local restaurants just a few blocks away from the lodge. No need to wait until 10:00 AM at the lodge. On regular weekends, it is served much earlier.
I would certainly recommend this location for a wonderful time in Ellicottville. Room rates are reasonable and location is convenient to stores and restaurants.
We've already booked for future stays.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Jackson Hole, WY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

My wife and I stayed here over New Years and as she is very fussy, she was extremely happy with the quality of the rooms and the price was more than reasonable for a holiday weekend. The staff was very helpful directing us to wonderful restaurants. The lodge is located a few blocks from town and has plenty of parking. As it had rained and the skiing wasn't very good we walked the few blocks and spent the day shopping and enjoying Ellicottville. We have skiied all over Europe, the New England states and up and down the Rocky Mountains. Western NY is very affordable and we will be back next year along with our children and grandkids. The Kelly House Lodge is a place they can afford and there are rooms that can sleep eight. The inexpensive breakfast was filling and kept our bellies full until our late lunch. Kudos to the staff at the Kelly House. See you next year.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

As you can see in the previous review the person was upset just getting off the plane. It is about 50 minutes to an hour ride from the Buffalo Airport to the Kelly House Lodge. Not 3 hours unless you were driving in circles just complaining about everything. Ellicottvile is a great party town and known to have great hospitality. The Kelly House Lodge has been around for years and if you're not looking to spend the big bucks by staying at one of the 4 stars in town. I would suggest the Kelly House Lodge. It's within walking distance to all the Bars and Resturants uptown. And within a mile or so of the ski slopes. They have security available at this Lodge and all the convience's of home. And if you're planning a ski trip to Ellicottville on New Years eve and you don't think it's going to be loud anywhere you stay, you would be wrong. It's New Years! I would highly recommend this lodge because of it's curtious staff and the convienence of being so close to town. Some people just complain about everything and if you're one of these people Ellicottville probably isn't the place for you. I have planned ski trips all around the country for me and my kids and I would say Ellicottville and the Kelly House Lodge has been the most fun we've had on any of our trips. I would rather go to this town than Killington or Mt snow VT. or Heavenly or Squaw out west. It has some great resturants, and micro-brewery's. And the skiing speaks for itself. I feel bad for the people at Kelly House to have had a person write a review who obviously wouldn't have been happy if he was staying at the Taj Mahal. I would suggest if you're not a light hearted person looking to have a good time with your family and friends. Go somewhere else or just stay home. Traveling with your children on New Years eve and not expecting to see any partying anywhere in the world, well you do the math. Kelly house is a great place to stay amongst many in Ellicottville and in no way reflects badly on them or the town. I give them two thumbs up on all aspects.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Kelly House Lodge? Share your experiences!