“TRYING TO BOOK IS HORRENDOUS” 1 of 5 stars

Tamarack Club
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Holiday Valley Road, Ellicottville, NY 14731   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Ellicottville
New York City, New York
“TRYING TO BOOK IS HORRENDOUS”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I haven't even stayed here yet but I want to write a review on how horrible the booking process has been. I am staying here this coming summer for a wedding. I tried calling to find out about the wedding group rate.First of all, the front desk NEVER answers the phone! They make you leave a message and then no one calls back. When I FINALLY got through to someone asking about a discounted wedding group rate, she quoted me a rate HIGHER than what is on the website. When I asked why the group rate was higher she had no clue and she transferred me to two different people who were out of the office for a week!! Totally ridiculous and unacceptable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Fairport, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed there a couple of years ago, and had the parking lot view, oh right, the Valley View. So when I made reservations for two rooms this year for my husband and I and another couple, I very clearly asked for slopeside view rooms, and paid the upcharge. When we checked in, one was slopeside view, and the other not......I called down, the person at the front desk checked, and nothing was available. Did not offer anything. Just out of luck.

So upon check out, since I had done my homework via TripAdvisor, I saw where Ashley had received several nice comments written about her. She was the manager on staff, so I told her what had happened. She credited me back the $9.00 upgrade. That wasn't the point. The point was I was assured by the person in reservations both rooms were slopeside view.....it just didn't start my trip off right.....

I also went to the upstairs bar for a beer the next day. Not friendly service.

I will try another location in Ellicottville if we go for another stay.

Room Tip: I don't have any.....if you ask, it doesn't seem like the request will be honored.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Stratford, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We ski annually at Holiday Valley and normally stay at the Inn for its convenience and family-friendly feel. We decided to try the Club for a change. Although most of the personnel were friendly and helpful we will not stay here again. Our room was small and awkward and had not been cleaned properly (there was actually food on the carpet and the bathroom smelled like urine). There were not enough towels for our family of four, it took two of us pulling together to open the pull-out couch, and the beds were very uncomfortable. We attempted to check our skiing gear into the storage room and, after waiting about ten minutes for service, a very grumpy man came to 'help'. He made it such a hassle to store our stuff that I finally asked him to give us back our things and I kept them in the ski box of our car for the remainder of the trip. The outdoor pool is nice but the inside portion is very small and not at all suitable for parents who'd like to supervise without swimming. Next trip will see us back at the rustic but friendly and convenient Inn.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kitchener, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My husband for the last 5 years, organizes a goup of families to going skiing. The group this year grew to 53 which took 14 rooms. This was our second year at this hotel and 3 years before at the hotel beside it. Sadly for all his work of organizing the only thing we received was a view of the mountain. When organizing he was told that for every 15 people we would receive a free ski pass. When he went to get tickets he was told, no they could not do that. Also on the fridge it said for every 10 people at the resort you would receive a $100 voucher. For 53 people we received nothing. We all ate as a group one night at the restaurant and most ate there 2 nights. The restaurant was very good. Next year we are going to a different resort. It is to bad as it is a beautiful resort but is not worth the expense and hassle. I have visited 45 countries and stayed in beautiful hotels and it was by far the most expensive 2 nights I have ever spent. It would have been nice to have received a Thank You at least for bring them $1000's of dollars.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We've been skiing several years now in Ellicottville and decided to give this place a try. My wife made reservations and requested a slope side room.

We arrive and our room faced the street and parking lot. I called to get that corrected. Front desk curtly informed me that we did not request a slopeside room, that the type of room that we requested only faces the street and that there were no other rooms available anyway. Off to a great start. The room was comfortably furnished and clean.

However, it was very noisy. The hotel is located next to a road that has heavy traffic throughout the night. Loud traffic. Snow plows started in the parking lot at 4 a.m. and made way too many sweeps in my opinion considering the size of the lot. If you stay here, try getting a room on the other side of the hote.

Very convenient for skiing. You can get your lift tickets and tubing tickets here at a discount. Very short walk to the ski lifts.

Nice bar and restaurant. Rooms were adequately furnished for cooking meals if you so desire. Very clean kitchen. Spa in the premises as well. Heated pool and hot tub (but, being a "family" hotel, these were often overun with children).

We had an issue with a requested late check out. Again, front desk staff VERY curt and just downright rude. I spoke with Ashley and everything worked out fine.

All in all a good experience other than front desk clerks. Everything is right there. They really need to work on their customer service skills. We'll probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the slopes, not the road and parking lot. Thin walls and traffic is surprisingly...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Great spot to enjoy the mountain. I would have liked to have a breakfast option in the hotel, but the food at the restaurant for lunch/dinner is excellent. Very modern and clean. Great to be able to jump into the outdoor hot tub and kids loved the pool (though the indoor section is a bit small).

Room Tip: Stay away from elevator if possible. People walking in ski boots make noise!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here because of the amenities:-) We made the right choice. The bell boys unloaded our car, valet parking was right-on, ski check was very convenient. There was only a 100m walk to the main lift fronted building. The pool area was excellent with 2 outdoor hot tubs. This is a newly constructed resort that still feels fresh and clean. Underground parking was heated! Bonus.

WARNING!! The in-house restaurant John Harvard's does not deserve to be associated with this resort. We dined there 3 times and the service was excruciating 100% of the time. The food is average bar food quality. They do not serve breakfast in the restaurant.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Tamarack Club? Share your experiences!