“food quality and time to get served” 2 of 5 stars

518-873-2198
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Plattsburgh, New York
“food quality and time to get served”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I ordered the seafood dinner at 24.95 the dish was horrible and it had some kind of bug in it.We had a party of 4 on it took us 2 hours finally get the bill.I was not offered a replacement me or discount.Service was horrible wont be back.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Keene, New York
“Very disappointed this time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Our recent visit to the Halfway House was approximately our fifth or sixth. We live in Essex County and are always looking for our new favorite local restaurant. We had high hopes for this little place. The owner is very pleasant and welcoming and it's obvious that she has dedicated herself to trying to create a bright, clean, cheerful atmosphere staffed with nice local folks.

The photo here is of a Holiday Inn nowhere near the area. A TripAdvisor error?

The facility with its own parking lot has a long open front porch, an entry hall, and small banquet hall on the right separated from the rest of the place by glass doors. The bar room to the left has quite a few tables and leads into the main restaurant which was once an enclosed porch. It has been recently remodeled with a new floor and heat for Adirondack winter comfort. The owner has also added a completely new dining area. I was glad to see that the business was succeeding enough to allow expansion.

Atmosphere is important, but food quality should be the top priority. We were satisfied with our meals for the first few visits, which included out-of-state family members. We had shrimp, a seafood platter, and another dish labeled as a Costa Rican seafood dish. All of our meals were promptly served with a side salad and bread and butter. We like seafood, which is the reason for our most recent return visit.

However, we were disappointed enough with the quality of our most recent meal to not return for another. Perhaps the chef has changed or funds are being concentrated on renovations? We ordered the Costa Rican, a past favorite, and a new seafood paella. We were shocked at the poor quality of the seafood and overall preparation of the meal. The salad was fine, but the dill vinaigrette that we like the last few times was really dill vinegar with very little if any oil to soften the taste. The meals were served nicely in attractive vessels and in large quantities, but the quality of the seafood was terrible. Both dishes contained clams, shrimp, mussels, and calamari. Mine had lobster, too. The Costa Rican was served on too soft spaghetti and the paella with rice. We were looking forward to all that seafood, but were amazed at the poor quality we were served. My dish of plentiful orange rice was topped with a small lobster body, half a small tail, and one claw, all in the shell. The small amount of meat was extremely dry and flavorless. I didn't care to eat the head and guts of the body. No other seafood was visible until I dug into the rice and found some shrimp, calamari, two or three scallops and two or three mussels. The mussels and scallops were of medium size, but of the entire dish only the scallops were edible. The shrimp were the very tiny fingertip sized ones you can find canned or frozen. I've never seen smaller or tougher "calamari." I'm not exaggerating when I say they were no bigger than my small fingernail. All of the food, including a dish of sliced carrots, squash, and broccoli were terribly over cooked, the veggies to the point of olive green mushiness.

We left most of the food--each entree costing about 25 dollars--and paid our bill, but will not return. We're sorry. We wanted this to work, but if those meals are any indication of what's going on in the kitchen, we don't want to experiment with other dishes.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bakersfiled
“Great Atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Quaint ADK joint with a South American flare. The 38 oz Steak goes a long way to satisfy the appetite after coming off the trail! But go a bit fiurther & have a pop from the well stocked bar. Great service from an appreciative owner!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nokomis, Florida
“Catered to a vegetarian :-)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We are in the E'town area for a few weeks (staying at Lincoln Pond) and was told about the Halfway House. From the moment we walked in we loved the charm and cozy decor. Sat on the enclosed porch and while there was construction going on (adding on a patio) it was fine. We had two kiddos with us and while hubby eats fish, I'm a veggie and at first I was a little bummed that my only choice was a pasta primavera ($14). I asked the server and she mentioned that they do have veggie burgers even though it wasn't on the menu - SCORE! I didn't really want pasta so this was a perfect combo (veggie burger, sweet potato fries and a glass of vino). Met a few locals and enjoyed conversation. Can't wait for the outdoor seating to be completed. We'll be back!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“1 hour turkey club”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I took my younger sister for a graduation dinner. After 30 minutes we had no soup, a very oily french onion, and it was an hour before we received our sandwiches. There was one other table there before we ordered yet 4 tables that came in 15-30 minutes after us were served dinners before us. Greatly disappointed.

• Visited June 2013