“Old hotel, minimal update” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #9 of 15 hotels in East Syracuse
Annapolis, Maryland
“Old hotel, minimal update”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I had stayed at the old Holiday Inn 2 years ago - saw that BW had purchased the hotel & theoretically did an update into a Best Western Plus. The old Holiday Inn was old & worn but the location was convenient - and the pool was nice.

I selected the BW Plus based on experience with BW Plus in Europe... I was VERY disappointed. This is a traditional BW standard hotel in the US. The rooms are a good size, the bed is excellent, there is a flat screen TV and there is an indoor pool -but other than that - this is the old 2 star HI. The A/C Heat unit was dirty, smelled, and did not heat. Other than cleaning the bathroom, there was no update - still the same tile, same drop ceiling (maybe they replaced a couple of tiles)... One of the phones in the room did not work, the wallpaper is peeling, the carpet is stained, the breakfast buffet is marginal...

The one bright spot was that the hotel employees were very helpful. Greeted me enthusiastically, providing directions, and were overall very cheerful.

Overall - if this is a one night stay - and you get a good deal - great - otherwise, try the DoubleTree or the Embassy Suites...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jennifer C, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Carrier Circle Syracuse, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. Please accept our deepest apologies for your experience while at our hotel. This experience is not typical of our hotel and we would love to have the opportunity to win back your confidence. Please contact me directly if you are planning a visit to the area again. I would be more than happy to assist you in any way I can.

252 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I traveled to Syracuse for our 5th wedding anniversary oct. 5th to oct. 8th. We also considering moving to the area so it was a nice getaway from the big city ( we live in NYC). Over all, the hotel is nice, the room was very clean, a good size queen size bed, clean bathroom with lots of towels, a flat screen TV with a large verity of channels. We stayed in room 311 which as I requested before coming to the hotel was far away from the pool and was in a very quite area considering the hotel was fully booked. We were provided with free hot breakfast for our stay which included scrambled eggs, sausages, French toast, verity of juices, bagels and pastries. We enjoyed our stay in Syracuse :)

• Stayed October 2012
Jennifer C, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Carrier Circle Syracuse, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on Trip Advisor. We all work hard to make sure our guests get the most pleasant experience possible and we truly appreciate when you let us know!
I am happy to hear that you're thinking of moving to the area. Syracuse has a lot to offer for business and pleasure....if you need any assistance or recommendations, feel free to contact me and I will be more than happy to help you any way I can.
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The hotel is in a good location but a little way out of Syracuse city. There are not many hotels downtown but there are several hotels close by the Best Western. Hotel is a high standard and staff are very friendly and efficient, I would definitely stay here again if we were in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
I want to personally thank you for your recommendation and your comments regarding the staff and property. I am glad you had the opportunity to share this with everyone and I hope to see you if you ever travel to the area again!
Belleville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed here for one night in mid Sept, our sat nav had a bit of trouble finding it and we called the woman on the front desk was great and we were there in minutes. She was very friendly and helpful. The main area is quite nice, as the hot tub was also very relaxing. The room needs a bit of revamping, the exhaust fan in bathroom didn't work, which didn't bother us.

Our room looked out onto the hottub and pool area, so no real daylight, and had to keep curtains closed the whole time.
The breakfast was quite nice and better then a continental breakfast.

It was clean and good for the night

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near pool area as no daylight
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jennifer C, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Carrier Circle Syracuse, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that our staff was friendly and able to guide you to our hotel so quickly. Your warm input has been passed along to our team and has been truly appreciated.
We hope to welcome you again!
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We made a reservation as we were traveling with our small dog. The staff was most accommodating; even had a treat bag for our pup. Clean and spacious room, better than average breakfast and restaurant and bar in the hotel. The tv was difficult to operate, but would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay and were able to bring your furry companion. We know how special they are to you and we treat them like any other guest!
Please stop in and see us again next time you're in Syracuse!
Newton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I've stayed here for two nights at the start and end of August for the past three years as midpoint in a long annual trip. We chose it because it is pet-friendly and seemed like an adequate hotel close to the highway.

They changed ownership last year and now the rooms have been revamped and upgraded.

When I made my reservation, I asked for a cot and said we have a dog. When I checked in, they gave me a bag with dog treats along with pet instructions for the hotel. In the room, the cot was there and ready for us.

The room includes a decent breakfast.

I wouldn't come here as a destination, but it was a good clean stop close to the highway and we will probably continue to return each year.

Room Tip: There seems to be a smoking wing, so unless you are a smoker, make sure your room is far from it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jennifer C, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Carrier Circle Syracuse, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Dear Peuclid,

I am thrilled to hear that you have made us a regular stop over for the past three years! We are very close to I-90 and conveniently situated off of Carrier Circle which does make us a popular destination for many travelers.
Our hotel is still family owned by the same caring family as in the past, but we did change our hotel brand last year after renovating to the Best Western Plus, and in addition, we have recently changed our smoking policy and our rooms are now 100% smoke free.
I wish you safe travels and hope we get to see you again next year, if not sooner!
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Hotel is a little dated but was clean. I will amend that as the room was clean on entering and while we were there but when I picked up my dogs travel case the last morning I discovered ants under it in droves. I mentioned this at the front desk on checkout and the girl was very nice and said she would tell housekeeping about it---they also took $30 off the bill. The bed was comfortable and it was nice having a fridge in the room. I did find the hotel noisy especially since we had a room overlooking the pool area--the next time I will request a room away from the pool. I had tried to change rooms on arrival and the front desk tried but being a long weekend they were unable to do anything. Having a restaurant on the premises was nice as travelling with a dog we were able to pick up some food at night and have it in the room. This was a nice plus--not having to go out and pick up something after a busy day shopping. The breakfast was good for a hotel breakfast---eggs, sausages and egg toast along with the usual breads etc. I would stay here again as overall I was quite happy with the hotel and the staff seemed very friendly and the location was good--you did have to drive to get to anything but that is quite common with a lot of hotels. Being pet friendly was a big asset and there was a lot of grassy areas to walk the dog. One big plus was the shower head---it was great---one of the best in any hotels I have stayed at.

Room Tip: I would definitely ask for a room not overlooking the pool as this made it quite noisy when the pool...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Happy Wanderer9,

I would like to thank you for your kind words about your recent stay with us. It really means a lot to us when our guests take the time to write and let other readers know about their stay and it also lets us know how good we are doing and where we need to improve.
We hope to see you in the future, I would be more than happy to assist you with reservations and make sure you have a quiet, comfortable stay!

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Carrier Circle Syracuse? Share your experiences!