“Great pizza, not so sure about the rest” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 58 Restaurants in East Syracuse
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Syracuse, New York
“Great pizza, not so sure about the rest”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We recently decided to try this restaurant. We are not from that side of Syracuse, however, knew we would be in the area that Friday evening. Someone that my boyfriend works with highly recommended this restaurant (or is it a bar or pub or...?) and also knowing that my boyfriend is a chicken wing fanatic, highly recommended the old bay wings.

When we got there, there was a party going on in the front area (reserved). We weren't sure where to go, but found our way back to the bar/dining room seating area. The problem was we weren't sure what to do next. Seat ourselves? Apparently, but noone told us that. Also, we didn't know that we had to go up to the counter to order our food (I saw a sign that said to order take out there, but I didn't see anything that said to order there if you were staying). So, I went up to the counter and found out that you placed your order there, pay, they give you a number and bring your food out to you. We ordered a meat lover's pizza, garlic chicken wings and the "famous" old bay chicken wings (we like leftovers for the weekend). The pizza was great - hot, fresh and seasoned. The old bay chicken wings just tasted salty and the garlic wings were good. The good part about the chicken wings - we asked for crispy and they came out crispy and perfect.

The service was the questionable part. My boyfriend wanted a beer, but he couldn't order and pay for the beer at the same place he ordered and paid for the food, he had to go to the bar to do so. I just wanted a soda, they gave me a cup, I had to fill it myself at the soda fountains. If they had people checking on the tables (refilling drinks, giving you your silverware, bussing the tables, etc), not only do I think the restaurant would make more $$, so would the staff.

All in all, it just kind of struck us as od.. Would we go back there? Not sure. I don't think we would make a special trip, but if we were in the area, might go back there or might try something different. Also, would probably be better in the summer, to get more of the "atmosphere" some of the other reviewers mentioned.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Manlius, New York
“Best Pizza Pub in Syracuse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This is easily the best pizza pub in syracuse. They have great food (best wings I've had in the area), and very good beer specials. They also feature a huge outdoor volleyball league, and tons of other one-off events. I can't say I've ever had a bad experience here, and I go once or twice a week.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jamesville, New York
“Great place for pizza and games”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We love Trappers not only for their pizza and salads but for the atmosphere. Volley ball courts, arcade, out side and inside sitting, bar area, it has it all.

Visited July 2012
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Better than average pub...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2007

Better than average pub grub, great pizza. Outdoor seating is nice. The beach volleyball courts and mini-arcade inside top it off. Great place for happy hour.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook