“OK” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 15 hotels in East Syracuse
Ontario
“OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

Nice hotel in secluded part of town which is great if you want to avoid traffic and noise. Decent rooms. But staff mediocre at best. The older blonde at the front desk is really distant. The night we were there a bunch of teenagers were running the corridors at 1130pm. I expressed concern upon arrival when I saw them all in the lobby. I asked if at the front desk if that was a sports group. They said No, it is a conservative Jewish group and they won't be a problem. Well, it was a problem at 1130pm I will tell you.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

234 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

Front desk staff is usually very friendly. The rooms are always clean. Although I request to be away from smoking rooms.

The pub is ok. I have had food that ranged from average to verygood there.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

Very clean hotel. Very friendly staff. If fragrances bother you, you may want to avoid this hotel though. They have air freshners in the hallways, which smell very nice, but may annoy someone with a sensitive nose.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

Convenient to the I-90 and Carrier Circle.
Found the room was clean and furniture in good repair.
Comfortable bed.
Front desk staff were above average, in that they were very helpful with directions, and printed off maps for us.
We enjoyed our stay, and will return in the future.

• Liked — Convenient and clean, great desk staff.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2008

I stayed at this hotel during a business trip. My corporate rate for a room was $85. I got a King handicapped accessible room that had a couch, ottoman, desk, armoire w/TV. There was also a microwave and a small a refrigerator. There's also a coffeemaker in the room. The bathroom was clean. The front desk staff were polite. There are free cookies at the desk in the evenings.
There is a pool with whirlpool, that I didn't use.
The restaurant/pub serves food. I had a burger and it was OK.
The breakfast is similar to the Embassy Suites, except the cost isn't included in the room rate.
The directions from the airport aren't as easy as they may seem at first look. This hotel is set apart from others in a relatively industrial area.
I got a call on my 2nd night asking how things were. Things were fine.
I would stay here again.

Stayed May 2008
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2008

I recently stayed at this hotel for one night on business. I booked the room directly with the hotel, and I've stayed here a couple other times while working in the area (I'm a Hilton Honors member and travel frequently).

When I checked it, it was rather late, so I was tired and just wanted to climb into bed. Once I got my room key and went up to my room on the third floor, I opened the door to find out the room smelled horribly of smoke. This hotel is not 100% smoke-free. Without even putting my things down, I turned around and went right back to the front desk and asked for another room. He apologized and gave me a coupon for free breakfast (which is normally $8.95). He gave me the key to another room on the 3rd floor. When I walked in the room, I noticed that it smelled of chlorine (like a swimming pool). When I opened the door to the bathroom, it was really hot and muggy and smelled even more strongly of chlorine. At this point I was just tired and didn't want to walk back downstairs...so I just went to bed. When I woke up in the morning, I felt dizzy, my eyes were burning, and the smell of chlorine was really bothering me.

I had to work that day, so I had my breakfast and checked out as quickly as I could. Upon checkout, I complained about the chlorine-smelling room. They explained that because that room is above the pool, that sometimes happens. I also mentioned the smoke-smelling room... I was told they have rooms on the 2nd floor where they allow smoking, and they realize this doesn't make sense because the smoke rises up to the rooms on the third floor.

The gal at the front desk was very friendly and ask me what she could do to help. They ended up giving me a $50 discount on the room. That made me feel a little bit better, but still.... I didn't have a good night's sleep and it put me in a bad mood.

If I stay at this hotel again, I will make sure to get a room that does not have any offensive odors.

Stayed April 2008
upstate NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

I stay here a lot , mainly for the location. Please keep in mind I am a business traveler and a Diamond Hilton member. After a long work day I like to be away from it all and this Hilton Garden Inn, while only a few minutes from the Thruway exit and Rt. 690 is in a nice quiet office park location. The service is uneven, sometimes they are very attentive and keep my room preferences, other times you would think it was the first time they ever saw me! The breakfast is uneven as well. The cooks usually do a great job with the hot food. However the same bagels, rolls Etc, will stay out on the buffet area for days in a row rather than being discarded after turning stale. I never eat in the Pub as I would rather drive to a stand-alone restaurant. A nice perk of this hotel is in Spring, Summer and Fall, after 5 or 6 PM you can wander the empty office park, which has some nice "nature trails"- they wind in and out of man made ponds and streams and it is a nice relaxing walk.
A drawback is that I have left several personal items (a windbreaker and bluetooth phone headset ) in my room after check out and neither was ever recovered. I realize the maids are underpaid and simply felt the Finder's -keeper rule to be in effect! I still stay here (no longer tip the maids) because I am comfortable at this spot- I just triple check the room before check out.

• Liked — Room size and layout
  • Disliked — Buffet food, Internet Service can be spotty
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Syracuse? Share your experiences!