“UGH!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in East Syracuse
Hamilton
“UGH!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2007

I had it marked 'Terrible' but backed up. The bed was good and there were 5 pillows for each bed. We were delayed by the airport and they sent us to the DoubleTree. I was happy because in Texas they are very good. The desk clerk asked if we wanted to put money on account up front in case we wanted any extras.This one had faded, dirty and worn floors and litter in the halls. The light was burned out in the room entry, the toilet seat was loose, the coffee maker was broken and missing a part. The room was small and crowded. The prices were high for dinner and breakfast. They charge $10 for wi-fi in your own room! They have a computer for guests to use downstairs in a crowded and very warm small room. In the morning they delivered a newspaper to your door and charged you an extra 75 cents. The whole experience was very much less than we expected. This happened on our way home after a very enjoyable 9 day trip. We'd been very happy to have picked out a Comfort Inn for a much less price and better amenities. Glad we weren't picking up the tab on this one. In fairness to the staff they were quick to repair and replace whatever we brought to their attention. And the worker was the one that told us about the charge for wi-fi....not the front desk! This just wasn't good. They were stingy and petty. We have recieved much better most every place we've been and we've been far and wide.

• Liked — bed and pillows
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the doubletree on our way from Washington DC to Ottowa. The people at the reception were very helpful and extremely nice. We were asked what our room preference was and which floor we'd like to stay at. The room was very clean. The king size bed was very comfortable. We had the view of the swimming pool. They have an indoor pool as well which we didn't use.
I am very particular about having a clean room. I am one of those people who carry their own pillow and sheets but didn't need it here.
We had dinner at the restaurant in the hotel as there is nothing close by to the hotel and after 6.5 hrs of driving we didn't want to venture out to look for food. The restaurant is real nice and you can order off the bar menu . We got a salad and a club sandwich. The portions are huge.
Overall I think its a great transit hotel.
We placed a bid at 65$ on priceline and paid $81.85 in total for 1 night.

• Liked — Great transit hotel
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bloomingburg, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2007

My family and I were in town for a Homeschool Convention.
When we checking into our room it was nice and clean and somewhat fancy. When I tried to turn on the air conditioner it never worked. I called the front desk and immediatly they came up and verified it didnt work. He gave us a new room on the spot and a voucher for free buffet breakfast for my whole family. The room was nice and cool and everything else was great.

• Liked — Value, cleanliness, hospitality.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Queens, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2006

I have stayed at the Wyndham several times when traveling for business purposes in Syracuse. Previous experiences have been pretty nice, but my last trip was really bad. The hotel was very noisy, my room service took over an hour to arrive, checkout took forever, my phone didnt work when I got in my room. I usually have a very nice stay, but this was not one of those times.

To their credit - I did fill out an online evaluatioin they sent me about a week or two later, and was quite frank about my concerns. About one week later, I received a letter from the management acknowledging my concerns, along with a very nice gratuity, asking that I give them another try. I will, again because I found tghe hotel suited my just fine for travel purposes. Lets hope this last experience was not a signal of a decline!

• Liked — convinient access to the thruway, pool/gym, easy parking
  • Disliked — meetings=noise
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hickory, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2006

Stayed here for 7 nights last week in September. I found the room
good, staff helpful.
Towels were a little worn, and the matteress had seen better days but room was overall good!
Problems we had were the ridiculous INTERNET charges $10.99
per night, one night or 7 its still the same!!
Next the restaurant and the bar were very overpriced!!! Forget
room service very expensive!!
A lot of renovation in progress.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Internet charges,poor mattress,over priced bar and resturant
  • Tips/Secrets — do not stay here if you have to use internet
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Orleans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2006

First off, if you are going to stay at this hotel join the Wyndham by Request before your stay. (Free and Easy) We checked in this past Tuesday and the proccess took about 2 minutes. The staff was very helpful and provided maps as well as dining options that are local. We went to our room which was a first floor room with a slider door that went right to the outdoor pool. When we got to our room because we had done the Wyndham by request there was 2 bottles of wine, 2 bottles of water, and some cheese and crackers for us to enjoy. The outdoor pool was heated and the indoor pool was a little on the cold side (but refreshing). We had a flight at 6 am and the hotel was able to drive us to the airport at 4 am even though there shuttle does not start until 6 am. They went out of there way to help us. The dining in the hotel was a little on the expensive side but they have a bar area that offers pizzas and such that is pretty reasonable. I definately recommend that you give it at try.

• Tips/Secrets — Join the Wyndham by Request before your trip to enjoy free welcome drinks/snack
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2006

Checking in was not easy, the desk clerk was not helpful, happy or accomodating. The hotel was practically empty and I don't think it would have hurt to smile at your only check-in of the day. The pool is nice only 4 1/2 deep and jacuzzi and sauna are clean and in working order. The carpets in the room are new in 2006 but the hotel IS old. The bar/restaurant is open in the lobby but extremely pricey. The staff is downright uncomfortable to be
around. So if you don't get a deal (under 100.00) don't go here.

hint-hotwire currently has this property as a 3 1/2 star $58.00 deal

• Stayed March 2006

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Syracuse? Share your experiences!