“Disgusted” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in East Syracuse
Las Vegas
“Disgusted”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

This place should have a 0 star rating. After pre paying $80 dollars per night for a two night stay, I did not spend more than 2 minutes there. I walked in to the dirty reception area and then asked to see the room first. (I was a little skeptical after seeing people shooting drugs in the Parking lot in their arms) The front desk agent (Jen) was kind enough to let me do so. Upon the opening of the elevator doors I was overwhelmed with a stench of smoke. The scent grew stronger the closer I got to the room. I opened the door and my stomach completely turned so I walked out. I came downstairs and asked for another room and was rudely told that there are no more rooms and I should just accept it because I received a deal from a third party website, (priceline) and she could rent the room for $159 per night. I left with no refund and booked a Holiday Inn a few miles away for $17 more per night and was happy with that room.
I wrote a complaint letter to the corporate office and received a generic thank you for the feedback. No action was taken

Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
bobsyr, Owner at Candlewood Suites Syracuse, responded to this review, November 16, 2009
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I looked over our security tapes and saw noone in the parking lot when you entered? As well our lobby is only 2 chairs. I'm sorry you never stayed ot the hotel
Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

I read through the other reviews for this hotel, and most of the "bad" things listed aren't bad. They are normal for a Candlewood. Candlewood is an extended stay hotel. Every room has a kitchen. Every Candlewood has a "Candlewood cupboard", free guest laundry, & excercise room. Seriously people, do a little research before you book your stay. And there is a Holiday Inn RIGHT NEXT DOOR with a full resturant, pool, bar, room service, etc. Sorry but it's not this hotel's fault that you expected something different then what you got just because you didn't bother to do any research.

Now, about my stay: Great room, very clean, A/C worked great, staff could have been a little better at check in. I felt they switched to helping someone else who walked in before they were done with me. I was there for 3 nights. On my last night the flapper in my toilet stuck and flooded the bathroom / kitchen area with water. I called the front desk and they had someone at my room in about 1 minute, and they came back with a shop vac very quickly to clean up the mess. I travel quite a bit and never had this kind of problem, but I'm considering it a freak accident.

They offered me a different room, but as it was my last night, I declined. They also offered me free dinner at the Holiday Inn next door (which has a Steakhouse in it), which I also declined as I already had dinner.

My plans for Friday were to work at the customer till 5pm then drive 6 hours home, mostly in the dark. So I suggested a free room would be appreciated. They had to call the manager, but put me up for free in a King Size room in the Holiday Inn next door completely free. This hotel was completely booked for the weekend (it was the local college's parent's weekend).

Also the internet access worked great from my room (wireless). Had a problem with it on the 2nd night, called the tech support number given in my room, had me up and going in about 10 minutes.

Over all I was very pleased with how they handled the situation, and would definately stay there again if I go back to this area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Northern NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

I earned 3 free nights through the stay 4 get one free promotion this spring. I booked my free nights in July for August. 2 rooms and I have a receipt that shows that they were free. Got to hotel and they as usual needed the cc for 'incidentals'. This is a usual practice so no problem. Well you know what is coming... Got my cc bill last week and wham-charges for two rooms. I immediately email the corporation and they send a reply saying the manager of the hotel will reply in 48 hours. No reply so I email again. The corporation explains that they are researching the issue. Not sure what to reserach as I have the receipt saying the rooms were free. But Ok, well now another week has gone by and no reply still! I think it says a lot about a place when they say they will reply within a time frame and don't even if it were to say we are still looking into the issue. As for the stay; nothing special but very quiet as we never saw another guest and the front desk is closed over night which made me feel a little unsafe. If I receive a reply I will add to this and let everyoen know their response. Meanwhile now have to dispute with cc. Beware of this promotion through priority rewards.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Jonesboro, AR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

The stay started off with the desk clerk (who had to be called since she was not at her desk) assigning us to a room that was already occupied and having my children walk into a room with someone in bed. No restaurant on the premises. The "Candlewood Cupboard" is a nice idea, but it's not convenient to have to go down to the pantry, get breakfast things, then return to your room to cook the meal. There was only one air conditioning vent in one room of the two room suite. Later when I tried to call the desk for a wake-up call, the clerk could not tell me which phone in the two-room suite would ring with the call. The alarm clocks did not work in the rooms. Good location, absolutely horrible stay. My daughter is now afraid every time we walk into a hotel room, worried that she will find someone already in it. There is no pool.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
SpecialK55
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

Great place for a solo traveler to stay if you don't need much more than a bed and a shower. Just about everything is self-service, even to the point of no restaurant or place to eat a quick breakfast. My fault - I didn't look into this and just assumed it would have something. The "reception" was slightly self-serve, in that you had to ring a bell for someone to check you in. Reception isn't staffed after 11 pm and you have to use your room key card to get in and out of the building. None of these things are bad in and of themselves, but I prefer a little more human contact when traveling alone.

The shower is sufficient for someone up to 5'11" tall. Wireless internet strength was low.

Room was quiet and clean, although it was hard to monitor the heat, which sucked a lot of the humidity out of the room.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
nj
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

I have stayed in a lot of hotels in the Syracuse area. They have ranged from what I guess is considered 4 star (renissance hotel) to the candlewood suites. A lot of 3 star hotels like a courtyard, doubletree & embassy suites. The Candlewood Suites was extremely comfortable. We had a 2 bedroom suite which includes 2 full bathrooms in each bedroom, a living area with tv, dvd, vcr and a efficency kitchen. The hotel, halls, rooms were very clean. It isn't a lavish hotel full of amenities but it certainly did the job. The towels, linens,etc. were comfy and clean. The kitchen was well stocked for cooking a light meal, coffee, tea, pasta,etc. The frig is full size and the room itself is fairly spacious.
There isn't tons to do by the Carrier Circle area but it is very close to downtown, the university and the mall. We had a 2 1/2 yr old with us and the hotel supplied a pack n play without a problem. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Ottawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2007

The hotel is located behind the Holiday Inn at Carrier Circle. We stayed 3 nights from August 31 - Sept. 3/07. At check-in we were pre-assigned room 309. This was a smoking room and it reeked, even a smoker would notice. We wanted anon-smoking room but won't get it. Back to the desk, the check-in in clerk gave the Hotwie attitude, "You got a good price from Hotwire, you are in a smoking room as requested by Hotwire." This is contrary to the Hotwire terms/conditions as travellers are booked N/S. We were given another smoking room, it just stank less. We left the window open. The next day we requested to the front desk that the room be sprayed with deodorizer. It did not occur.

While we paid $55. a traveller was quoted $129. for a smoking room available. The room is equipped for 2 persons with stove, micro and fridge. One could be quite comfortable for an extended period of time. Housekeeping is every 7 days or none if you are there less than 7 days. There is a convenience room with food supplies available for purchase on the honour system.

The downside of this property for us was the attitude, you get a Hotwire room and the lack of adequate cleaning to remove cigarette odour in the cleaning of rooms. There is a notice of cooking odours in hallways from different foods cooked in rooms.

• Liked — Self contained accommodation
  • Disliked — Odours - food, cigarette smoke.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Candlewood Suites Syracuse? Share your experiences!