“A little work needed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in East Syracuse
Binghamton, New York
“A little work needed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

My recent visit to Syracuse for the Octoberfest was wrapped up with a stay at the Courtyard. This facility is a little older than most and it shows. It really needs a little pick-me-up with torn carpets, some damaged walls, etc. They have moved the computers to a ground floor room, not what I am use to experiancing with a Courtyard. The room was neat and clean and the bed was what I expected, very comfortable. The staff that I dealt with were pleasant, helpful and professional. I think in comparison to other Courtyards that I have visited, this was probably the least favorite yet.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Bradley Z, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Syracuse Carrier Circle, responded to this review, March 4, 2012
Hello, thank you for your feedback regarding The Courtyard by Marriott. I just wanted to update you that we have completely remoded our hotel since your last response and we are better then ever!

Please give us another try so you can experience all we have to offer! We are now featuring our Bistro which offers many breakfast choices including a toasted Southwestern breakfast flatbread pizza and many wonderful dinner options. We now offer alcohol as well!

We hope to see in the near future! Again, thank you for your feed back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Given the number of hotels to choose from, it shouldn't be difficult to find a decent room in the $100 range in the area. Even so, we selected the Courtyard because it's a known quantity.

Even with a GPS it was hard to find - the hotel is tucked in behind other properties and we drove by the access driveway three times before we figured out how to get to it.

The rooms were clean; I really like Courtyard's new bedding design; there is a flat sheet, then a blanket, then another flat sheet which serves as the bedspread. The only other covering is a narrow "bedspread" that is easily folded and set aside. It gives confidence that the bedding is cleaned often.

Warm cookies in the lobby on check-in were wonderful; complimentary bottles of water were very welcome. The morning breakfast buffet is not complimentary, which was expected but not appreciated. However, good selections of oatmeal, fresh fruit, yogurt, juices, and some hot selections of scrambled eggs and meat.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. In the area there is an Italian restaurant (Justin's) that was pretty good. No breakfast places in this particular area; there is a Denny's on the other side of the circle.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

We have stayed at nicer Marriott's for sure, but it wasn't terrible! The location is literally right next to the entrance to the NY State thruway...very convenient for travelers. There are 3 restaurants, including a Ruby Tuesday within walking distance of the property. The front desk staff is wonderful! The rooms are fine. My only real complaints with the rooms were the bed linens....definitely not up to Marriott standards, and the A/C...it ran all night...annoying. I did notice the shabby flooring in the elevator. We did not have the breakfast the following morning, so I cannot comment on that. The lobby was nice and included a small "store" where you could by beverages (including limited beer and wine) and snacks. We were told that they would soon be adding an actual bar in the future. Don't think there was a pool....no chlorine smell which was a bonus! Think there was a jacuzzi though with the workout room. We never checked that out though.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd floor away from the highway....much more quiet!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Kalamazoo, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Our family stayed here for one night after a long day of driving and had a very restful stay. The bed and pull out were comfortable and worked well for our family. The staff at the hotel was excellent, especially the nightime supervisor Lisa. We had a small cleaning issue on the night we arrived and she went above and beyond to "make it right" that evening and then the housekeeping staff offered us free breakfast the next morning to ensure an even better experience at the hotel. Great customer service and job well done!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Ottawa, ON, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

We were on a trip to a family reunion in Fort Erie, Ontario from Ottawa, Ontario and decided to take the shorter route around the US side of Lake Ontario. I knew I wanted to shop in Watertown and buy fabric at my favorite quilt store in North Syracuse (Mission Rose Quiltery). So it made sense to stop overnight in Syracuse. I did a search for 3 star hotels in the area with a swimming pool and the Courtyard by Marriott came up. This is a lovely well appointed hotel. My husband loved the coffee service in the lobby. We really appreciated having a swim after our hot drive and then we had a choice of two nice restaurants nearby to walk to for dinner. I had trouble sleeping on the bouncy foam mattress because I'm a light sleeper and you feel every movement by your partner. Our son slept well on the sofa bed. They have a very generous breakfast buffet or you can order from the menu. I used the microwave to heat up some milk for my coffee and noticed that they have a very good selection of reheatable foods for travellers that need a snack when they arrive too late to eat out. I would stay here again but would choose a room with two beds instead of a King size bed so that I would sleep undisturbed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Fort Myers, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

Fine hotel with lovely lobby but our room was very small & even though it had a balcony, we couldn't go out on it because it was all covered with plastic. I guess they were doing some type of renovation but they NEVER told us about it. Since we were just there for one night, we decided not to complain. But I think they should have told us that the balcony was NOT usuable. They didn't seem that busy the night we were there either, so why did they put us in this small room without a usuable balcony? Otherwise, there was ample free parking, an indoor pool & a nice courtyard that we saw when we walked in the pool - but couldn't see from our room. There are a couple of restaurants very closes by - within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Bear, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

First thing is first, when I checked into the room there was a plumbing problem and the toilet in our room overflowed. During my stay at the hotel the noise was tremendous between the kids running in the hallways to the pool and the construction crew performing upgrades to the hotel. I also had the pleasure of being robbed by the cleaning crew when I stepped out of my room for lunch. When I returned to my room I noticed my diamond pendent chain was stolen. I doubled checked my room and reported the incident immediately to Thomas Caracci. He said to me his staff was trained not to touch personal stuff, as if I was lying. He also said I would look into it and I would follow up with you. Well I never received a phone call or a message with one once of compassion of concern. I called the cops to file a report of the incident and when the staff reached out to Bradley Zimmer and Thomas Caracci (managers at hotel) to come into work regarding the incident and also because the cop needed a statement they refused. I am very hurt and disappointed regarding my stay at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Syracuse Carrier Circle? Share your experiences!