“Syracuse trip” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dewitt (Syracuse)

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dewitt (Syracuse) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dewitt (Syracuse)
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5908 Widewaters Parkway, East Syracuse, NY 13057   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in East Syracuse
Troy, Michigan
“Syracuse trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This nice property met my needs and was up to the usual Holiday Inn Express standards. The room was nice and clean, with no issues, service was very good, and no surprises with the free breakfast. You will need to get in your car for dinner though, as there are no restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Southport, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

In early November I stayed at the hotel for three nights. This was my fifth stay. Because I have been returning to handle family issues I really appreciate having a comfortable room and a welcoming staff (many of whom I know now) to greet me at the end of the day. I want to commend Kristin who works at the front desk. She went "above and beyond" to help me with a frustrating fax issue in a professional and reassuring manner. I will be back again in early 2013 and look forward to another predictable and pleasant visit.

Room Tip: I never had a bad room.
Bethlehem, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Husband and I stayed at this hotel on Thanksgiving weekend while visiting family in the area. Our first stay was last March, when we stayed here while attending a memorial service and everything about our experience was positive. I made an online reservation for four nights.

This time our experience left a lot to be desired. The room was clean and tastefully appointed with a big comfortable bed. But this is not everything that makes a hotel experience satisfactory.

During our first night, the heating/AC unit in our room (which we had turned off) suddenly started up on its own and then cycled on and off for about 30 seconds every 15-20 minutes or so all night long. Our attempts to turn it completely off were in vain, so we finally put in the earplugs we always travel with and went back to sleep. Yes, we could have called the Front Desk and asked to have someone come and fix the problem, but we just wanted to sleep. We complained the next morning and the problem was fixed - when we returned to the room after spending Thanksgiving Day elsewhere, the A/C seemed to work properly. But the problem recurred on our third night.

The room darkening window treatments would not stay closed; after attempting to close them completely, the shades would separate about 4", which was more than enough to admit the glare of the overhead lights from the parking lot.

On Thanksgiving morning, we left the room at about 8:30 am to attend a local "Turkey Trot" race with other family members. Attired in our athletic clothes, we returned to the hotel at about 12:30 to shower and change. We encountered the housekeeper outside our door, who was preparing to service our room. I asked her if she could wait 20-30 minutes so we had time to do what we needed to do and she was very nice about this. (Our room was in the middle of the line of rooms and I expected that she had others to clean.) Within 15 minutes, the housekeeper was banging on our door, accompanied by a woman who was apparently the supervisor. I felt sorry for the housekeeper, whose credibility was apparently in question that the room was occupied.

On the third evening of our stay, husband and I went to bed feeling ill - chills, cough, nasal congestion, sore throat, headache - and decided that we needed to return home in the morning. The floor now appeared to be occupied by a group of people in town for a wedding (we saw gift bags at the front desk) and there were several children racing through the halls, slamming doors, laughing loudly, etc, so in went the earplugs once again.

In the morning, we checked out and inquired about a refund for the final day of our reservation and were (very rudely) told that it was impossible. At our previous stay at this hotel, the front desk attendant had inquired about our reason for traveling to the area and when we said we were there for a memorial service, were offered a bereavement rate - without our asking. Hotel staff apparently has discretion about such matters, but it was not extended to us this time. We left with enough animosity about our experience that we will not return to this hotel and will tell others about what happened.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, is a significant safety issue. On Saturday, our final morning at the hotel, my husband had gone to the breakfast room for coffee when the fire alarms throughout the facility started going off. The front desk attendant told him to go to our car. Knowing I was asleep in our room wearing earplugs, he dashed back upstairs to awaken me. I did not hear the alarm going off in the hallway even after I removed my earplugs. IF THERE WAS A FIRE ALARM AND STROBE IN OUR ROOM, IT DID NOT FUNCTION! I don't know what the laws are in New York State regarding this situation and did not check to see if there was one, but it seems that there should be.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dewitt (Syracuse), responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear momzanurz1525,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with your room accommodation, the poor service you received and our facilities. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband travels for his job, he crushes stone in a stone quarry, and has been staying at the Holiday Inn in Dewitt, New York
The staff and management has gone above and beyond to make his extended stay as pleasant and comfortable as a home away from could be
Thanks for making him happy

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Huntington, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The first room they gave me had dirty carpeting, and black stains on the dust ruffle. Since I was o ly staying one night, I was going to just deal with it and wear shoes. However, I started to get grossed out, so I called the front desk and one of the front desk clerks came up, agreed, and gave me a new room. She was apologetic, and very willing to correct the situation, the next room was fine, and clean. The brunch was just ok. Not the healthiest food, all packaged and processed. Even the fruit salad was from a can or jar.

Morrisville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I can not say enough about this property. In my opinion it is the #1 choice for accomodations in CNY...It never disappoints!

We visit the Syr. area quite often to care for my elderly mother. At the end of a tiring, stressful day we look forward to a comfortable night's rest at Holiday Inn Express Dewitt.

There are many reasons why we continue to come back. To mention only a few:

"Exceptional" guest rooms, Mgr, staff, complimentary breakfast, Business Ctr, Pool, Laundry facilities and location.

When we make plans to visit the Syr. area there is never a question as to where we'll stay...fortunately that's one less detail to worry about!

Room Tip: We always choose a suite on the top floor.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We can see how this could be a solid choice for the not so picky traveler to E. Syracuse, NY, but we wouldn't stay in this hotel again. First let me state that we found the staff to be very professional, attentive, and friendly. What made our stay less than ideal was that the air conditioning unit in our room was the kind which constantly cycles off all night. It may have been 40 something degrees outside, but our room was still too stuffy. Also, there were plastic matress covers on the beds which are like sleeping on swimming pool covers. We like to stay on the top floor so that people aren't clomping around over our heads all night. It turns out that some rooms on the fourth floor are smoking rooms. We figured that out because the smell of cigarette smoke was quite evident. It seems to us that this is a well run hotel greatly in need of a few important upgrades.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Deannahotelgm, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dewitt (Syracuse), responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Neil,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel. I appreciate your feedback about our staff & hotel. While we love the positive things that you said about our hotel we also are very disappointed about the negative aspects of your stay. Our entire staff works very hard to exceed our guest’s expectations and when one guest is not pleased it pains the entire organization. Our hotel is 100% non smoking and all guests who check in do agree to not smoke in the rooms, unfortunately once in a while we have people that break the rules. We have no tolerance for that and had we been informed of the situation immediately we would have addressed that with that room. Our rooms all have required mattress pads and to our chain standards they do have in between the layers a plastic protection for the mishaps that do occur. We are in the process of replacing the mattress pad with a thicker pad that doesn’t seem to show the plastic side of the pad as much. Currently the entire King rooms have been replaced and in the next few months the queen rooms will be completed. Our heating/air conditioning units do have an energy saving mode to them this is set from the factory, it does read the inside and outside temperature and at times it can make it hard to keep the unit running constantly. If you would like to contact me directly at the hotel I would welcome the chance to get your information so I can have our maintenance dept check that room to see if the unit needs service. I am sorry that you will not be staying with us again but if you do decide to try our location again please contact me so I can personally meet you and make sure that your stay exceeds your expectations.
Deanna Granato

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dewitt (Syracuse)? Share your experiences!