We had a great visit here and would return. The resort is family friendly, without being over-run by kids which was really important for us. Generally quiet (except for planes overhead but to be expected given the airport location) and very peaceful, with attentive staff and excellent facilities. Breath-taking beaches and really magical sand/sun/reef/sea life. We also met Jason the manager, who clearly sincerely cares about the guest experience and the staff on the island.
The location - a 15 minute boat ride from the airport - made this a great option for a short time, as no sea plane was required. The airplane noise overhead was more than we expected and did occur even at night, so I would bring earplugs if you are sensitive to noise. I'd also recommend lots of high quality rub and sweat-proof sunblock. The sun is very strong here and midday I'd recommend clothing not just sunscreen. If you are fair skinned, by all means do not snorkel without a rash guard and serious sunblock. We saw a few people who did and it clearly ruined their trip.
The deluxe bungalow was perfect for our family as the daybed was suitable for our helper and the cot for our daughter was good quality. The beds are amazing - one of the most comfortable I've stay in. The linens and facilities are in excellent condition with thoughtful features like doors that shut quietly and a well laid out closet area. My only suggestion would be to have more shampoo/soap in the bathroom. There are 2 showers and a tub but only one set of jars with soaps which were slippery and we nearly dropped one moving them back and forth (they were ceramic and would have shattered on the floor). After-sun lotion would have been very useful as well. The outdoor shower is a fantastic feature.
The spa was very good and generally the food excellent. The restaurants do fill up so I would make reservations and make sure you let the resort know of any special diet needs in advance. They had some good kid/baby options as well. Worth checking out the menus and the days certain restaurants are closed in advance. You can order from the room service menu at many locations around the resort which is helpful as well. They wont serve food at the sunset bar after 5 pm, which made no sense to us, but you can eat and then go sit out at the bar for a drink.
The beach and sand bars are good, although the drinks a little bit inconsistent in how they were mixed. The sand bar got a bit noisy at night every night with Russian tourists who were drinking too much vodka, but otherwise generally other guests were also friendly and well behaved. The bungalows are very well insulated other than the plane noise.
The sports and recreation center staff were friendly and knowledgeable and helped us make the most of our time here, and the rental equipment in good order. I'd recommend the night snorkeling and the dolphin sunset cruise. The dive center is good but separate and the hotel staff generally didn't know much about the dive offering (or even what hours the dive shop was open) which was a little frustrating, so if you are an avid diver, I'd recommend you contact Euro divers directly and make arrangements. The house reef is excellent and diving in the area generally world-class. We saw sharks and turtles every day, both diving and snorkeling.
The resort was generally trying hard to assist us wherever possible, and gave us a late check out when we had a night flight which made our last day so much better. Overall a fantastic trip and we would highly recommend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kurumba is Maldives' very first resort. Located just 10-minutes from the airport with boat transfers available 24 hours a day. Explore our vibrant house reef. Relaxing on the white sandy beach. Swimming in our protected crystal clear lagoon. Treat yourself to an exquisite Maldivian spa treatment. Be energized with the daily scheduled activities, watersports, excursions or scuba diving. Be inspired by the Maldives culture, local food, art and dance. Nine styles of accommodation are spread amongst the island's lush tropical gardens. Eight restaurants, three bars, Maldives best nightly entertainment scene, Kurumba is a perfect holiday destination. Kurumba is the Maldives in Full Colour. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Agoda, Expedia, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Kurumba Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kurumba Maldives Hotel North Male Atoll
- Kurumba Maldives North Male Atoll
- Kurumba Hotel