“Kurumba Tour Details : Oldest & cheapest Maldivian 5 star” 4 of 5 stars

Announcement
Thila Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vihamanafushi
gurgaon
“Kurumba Tour Details : Oldest & cheapest Maldivian 5 star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I went to the kurumba resort in Maldives in June 12 with my family and I must say I had a gala time there!!The tour was fantastic and made so easy
Planning :

Rush of Blood & we decided to spend the next weekend in maldives in a 5 star without really having enough bucks to spare on this .
Bookings

Ayesha from Maldivestourister.com assisted us and gave us very reasonable rates + taxes + transfers for 2 Pool Rooms but cudn’t make it adjacent ..neways u expect tht in a rush.
Arrival:

Arrived here at 11 am local time, 2 hrs to finally reach hotel.The airport itself is pretty well organized and the customs here are pretty strict as well. alcohol is seriously prohibited here. The visa here is given on arrival.
Location :
The resort is not too far from the airport. The location of the resort is very immaculate and the place is surprisingly clean!! The reception staff is decent here as well. the time during which I stayed, I was told that there was 85% occupancy but I could not feel any crowd as the area of this resort is pretty immense. The beach area here is absolutely splendid and serves a very relaxing place to be in the evenings. Beach sports and snorkeling are fun too.
Rooms:

The rooms at the resort are very well maintained and have a high level of cleanliness maintained. The rooms have an old world charm and the furniture being about 40 years old, never feels like so! The views from the room are also splendid with the beachfront right upfront.
Eating :
The food at the resort is also very good and a host of options are available to rejoice your taste buds. The chinese and the indian cuisines were the ones that I really loved but the other cuisines were also good. There is also a decent variety of items available in the breakfast menu here. The only drawback is that the pricing is a bit over the top in the restaurants.
The dive center in the resort is worth trying. There is also a separate area for the kids to enjoy themselves. All in all the resort is place to visit for good experience

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

A remarkable stay at Kurumba - I'd go again in a heartbeat! This trip was set up for me to unwind & unplug after a hard year, and it came at the end of 11-days on business in Abu Dhabi. It was a short 4-hour flight south from the UAE -- so if you're traveling from North America consider breaking up the travel with stop(s) in the Middle East. In making my resort selection I spent hours on TripAdvisor researching all the various Maldives options and decided on Kurumba based on some specific points: it's a short 10-15 minute speedboat ride across the ocean (no waiting in the airport for a sea plane to reach farther islands), lots of restaurants, strong reputation, and price/value.

The beaches were amazing, the winding walkways through the island were so beautiful and the accommodations were really comfortable. My room was a deluxe but the word "room" is a misnomer. You're actually in a private, free-standing villa, which was totally cool!! I had a front door and back porch with an outdoor daybed and an indoor daybed. I could see the ocean from the double doors of my villa. But my absolute favorite was my outdoor shower; I kept making up excuses for having to take another!

The food was superb! On recommendation by a TripAdvisor contributor I purchased the dine-around all-inclusive. It's a great plan if food plays a major role in how you enjoy holidays and if you prefer not to pay at the end of every meal. I ate at six different restaurants for dinner and was genuinely impressed with how fantastically delicious and perfectly prepared every meal was, and with the quality of the wine list. If you're not that much into food then get a simpler plan where you eat at the main restaurant for dinner and then splurge at one of the specialty restaurants as you see fit. Tip: When I arrived I made all my dinner reservations for the week to guarantee my table.

I went to the Maldives alone but not by design. My then boyfriend and I broke up before the trip but since I'd recalled seeing a review by someone in Asia who recommended Kurumba as a good place for a single traveler I decided to press on. Fortunately, that traveler was right: I felt safe at all times and was able to enjoy all the amenities. BUT...if you're traveling solo to the Maldives I wouldn't go for longer than 3-4 days unless you enjoy your own company or you plan to spend all your time snorkeling/diving. Clearly, these islands are meant to be enjoyed with others. That means you'll be surrounded by couples and families who don't really want to engage you in conversation; it can get lonely after the vistas and stargazing wear off. Bring lots of books, magazines, music.

I can't conclude without saying something about the people. At Kurumba it feels as though the staff outnumber the guests -- and sine the resort occupies the entire island that's unique. The staff was super friendly and accommodating. Being a single woman I couldn't help noticing that nearly every staff member was male; not an issue, just unusual.

This resort is all that it's cracked up to be! I've been to 15+ countries and can confidently say Kurumba gets a strong recommendation from me!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Delhi, Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed in Kurumba for a week in Februaury 2013 for our honeymoon, in a Deluxe Beachfront Bungalow. We were lucky enough to see a birds-eye view our resort from the top and it was truly memsmerizing to see it from there. The arrival handling team of kurumba were very hospitable in helping our little queries as well. The staff was cheerful, very helpful and welcoming. The resort itself was a wonderful place to stay. The ambiance of the resort is unthinkable and the varied amount of food options for breakfast, dinner were truly great. Ihad selected the resort based upon my survey from tripadvisor and gosh!.. it was even better to what the review suggested. The staff at the reception were always very helpful and extremely hospitable( never seen such an attitude of an hotel previously). We did a lot of activities such as snorkelling, speed boat ride, fun tube, sailing. All the staff at kurumba deserve a round of applause for their overwhelming support. The food items prepared were all worthy of themselves and i cant even remember a dish which gave a bad taste; noteworthy my special mention here goes to CHEF PIYAL at THE KURUMBA CAFE for making the best white sauce pasta I ever had in my life. The rooms were always clean and spotless. The staff welcomed us at the airport and all the procedures (check in, check out, reservations) went very smoothly. The facilities on the island are also very nice and their are so many activities for every age group i.e. from 6-60 will thoroughly enjoy the list of activities present in the MAJAA ACTIVITY ZONE tremendously fantabolous. Our Sunset Cruise trip was a great piece of advice from the kurumba team as we thoroughly enjoyed it; watching the dolphins in their natural environment is a real treat to watch. We also took the sounds of the sea dinner and the service again was exemplary; another mention of WAITER RUSSELL needs to be here;amazing guy.
people if you are really looking forward to a trip full of romance, excitement, fun, bonding, and some serene surrondings with tranquility. It is a place you wont get bored at all(unless u aren't a fun loving person)
THIS IS IT!!!...
COURTESY AT ITS BEST...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Kurumba is lying 15 min. by spedboat from the airportisland. The hotel is coming to pick you up. We stayed in a lovely bungalow 176 With beautiful view. There is an indoor shower and outdoor shower, there are 2 sinks and an indoor Jacuzzi. You have good Space in the bungalow and only have few meters to the sea. You can go out in the sea and snorkel not far out. We even meet stringrays a few times although we only snorkel. They have a lovely garden and the manager has created it himself. The staff are wonderful and help you With a big smile. You have if I remember right 5 or 6 restaurants and they are very good. - Try a hole day excursion called: Sunrise Island Picnic. You fly With a small airplane and land on water, speedboat, you snorkel or lunch on an island where nobody lives. It was a wonderful day. We recoment Kurumba highly.

Room Tip: We stayed in Bungalow 176, wonderful view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My Husband and I stayed at the Kurumba Maldives for three nights in June 2013 in a beach Bungalow. The weather on the first day was a bit rough, gloomy, rainy and very windy at night. The 2 remaining days were more than fine, sun was out with pleasant weather at night at the beach bar. Overall, our experience was excellent, the entire team at the resort were very hospitable, especially Silvey at the front desk, she made sure that we got everything we wanted, provided us with a complimentary cake for our anniversary celebration and our bed was nicely decorated with flower petals and coconut tree leaves on one of the nights. We also got an upgrade to a champagne breakfast that lasts till 11 AM instead of the standard breakfast buffet that finishes at 10 AM.
The resort has a lot in house activities that kept us busy throughout our 3 days stay. Snorkeling gear can be rented for free, jet ski rides, banana boat rides, glass boat rides etc. that are offered at fair prices compared to the standard pricey Maldivian rates. The house reef was lovely; we saw some amazing fish and wonderful corals. The beach is pleasant, the water is crystal clear.
The resort has about 8 or nine restaurants, we enjoyed the seafood restaurant, excellent quality and yummy sushi, we also enjoyed the dinner buffet which offers lots of variety of international, Asian and even Arabic cuisine.
I also have to say that I had one of the best massages I ever had in my life at the spa. The masseuses know what they are doing and it was an absolutely relaxing experience.
The shop at the resort offers a great variety of Maldivian souvenirs and jewelry. It also sells a lot of products that are used in the resort such as essential aromatic oils used in the spa, the coconut soap that was provided to us as a complimentary gesture from the hotel in our room. I regret not buying any of the jewelry pieces; they are actually much nicer than what is available at the airport duty free shop.
Housekeeping was promptly and consistently done, as soon as we left our room for breakfast and dinner. Downturn service was great, we always came back to a neat and tidy room with the blinds down. We stayed at a beach bungalow which offered a lovely view directly on the beach. The bungalow had a rain shower outside the bathroom. Although I enjoyed the rain shower, the only down side is that the window overseeing the rain shower from the bathroom cannot be closed which allowed access to lizards into the bathroom. We always made sure that the bathroom door is closed :)
Overall, I have to say, the Kurumba resort might not be a seven star resort, but it’s definitely a five star with a fantastic management team that makes it stand out as a seven star:)

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights / 5 days in Deluxe room and really enjoyed it. We did 2 mornings of diving, 2 afternoons of snorkeling, spa onsite and half-a-day Male tour.

What we liked:
* 10min boat ride away from airport - after long flights arriving late in the evening the last thing I wanted was another long boat or sea plane ride to resort.
* beautiful resort surrounded by clear water (great for snorkeling and swimming with baby sharks)
* we found the price of food and drinks reasonable priced, comparable to what we normally paid in Singapore anyway

I would recommend it for a short stay up to a week.

Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Excellent, Cozy, Romantic Property
I had my honeymoon here in beginning of June 2013. The property is aesthetically designed, very well maintained, has all amenities for a perfect get-away, more so if you are planning a romantic trip.
Most staff is friendly & helpful. Airport reception & transfer was quick. Check-in was smooth.
Food is great. We were vegetarians & had travelled from India. There was good choice in the menu for vegetarians too. Breakfast spread is good & had an Indian option each day.
Dinners are great here. The view, ambience will make you linger around the restaurants for long around especially in Beach bar & Ocean Grill. We loved the Italian & Chinese restaurants. The prices are very steep, so be prepared! Everything pinches your pocket. We stayed in superior rooms. I would definitely recommend them. I found them even better than next higher range rooms (I might be wrong). I loved the 1st floor than ground for two reasons. One, the balcony view is great to relax, private & if it rains, your sit out/lie down mattress does not get drenched. Two, beach is very close by & if you have kids, your front sit-out area in the ground floor is going to be messy with sand all over ;)
Rooms were comfortable & spacious with large area to sit-out & gaze at the blue-waters. Bathrooms are another plus in this property. I loved their open yet private concept. The house-keeping & turndown service kept them organized & neat always.
The property has decent house reef & marine life around it. Though I expected a greater reef considering it is Maldives. We had couple of snorkeling trips in the house reef. I did not take the snorkel trip outside of the island & may be that would have been better. Sunset cruise & Dolphin safari is very ordinary & best avoided. Spa was good, but nothing to boast of.
Few of not so pleasant things –
• We had directly booked this hotel through their reservation system, & it was on Honeymoon package. We were promised certain things like welcome amenities & complimentary wine bottle, etc. None of it was given when we checked in. I had to demand after I checked in.
• After two nights into or stay, on 3rd evening the staff realized it was our Honeymoon & decided to decorate our room & beds with flowers & Honeymoon message. Though we still appreciated it, it would have made more sense had same gesture shown on our arrival. Yet, thanks for this gesture, as it came when we didn’t expect it.
• There was some communication gap between different departments. The Check-in executive promised something (again to do with our package & candle light dinner), but the guest services said something else. Another thing is if you call reception or guest experience team for something, sometimes they just bounce you off to or ask you to call another number. I am sure they have the facility to transfer calls internally making it a seamless service for guests.
These are some minor glitches in otherwise a great vacation for us. Yet a great vacation destination & recommended place in Maldives.

Room Tip: Stayed in Superior rooms & will recommend them - prefer 1st floor than ground.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Kurumba Maldives? Share your experiences!